Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Ex Pat, now a US Citizen need my son with me!

Ex Pat, now a US Citizen need my son with me!

Old May 13th 2013, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

EnglishSue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex Pat, now a US Citizen need my son with me!

Hi there, I was born in England but moved to the States in 1994. I became an American Citizen in 2008. My son lived with me for a few years when I first came here but has been back in the UK for a number of years now. He's 28 now, unmarried, and is now ready to come live with his mum! My health has been pretty bad over the past 6 years and my doctor has very kindly written a note detailing my problems, and the fact that a big stressor that brings on some attacks is stress. I am very stressed and worried about my son and how long it might take before we're reunited. I have put the initial I130 petition in and now play the waiting game. I can't imagine having to wait years and years for everything to be finalized. I'm guessing the next step, if we're approved, is to wait for a Visa to be available but not sure how long that takes, and if there is anything we can do in the meantime. Also, have a great support letter from a friend who is a former Georgia Senator. Anyone whose been through this, please give me advice or tell me what we can do to improve the waiting time. Thanks for your time. Sue.
Old May 13th 2013, 6:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex Pat, now a US Citizen need my son with me!

Hi Sue.

I don't know but hello.
Old May 13th 2013, 6:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

From one Sue to another ... welcome to BE!

I know it can be very stressful being parted from our loved ones, but you've come to the right place, we have many members in the same position of you as they wait for loved ones to join them in the US. So pop onto our USA forum and say hi and get to know everyone. I'm sure you will get lots of support from everyone.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I've recently moved from North Carolina to Florida.
Old May 13th 2013, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

EnglishSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
From one Sue to another ... welcome to BE!

I know it can be very stressful being parted from our loved ones, but you've come to the right place, we have many members in the same position of you as they wait for loved ones to join them in the US. So pop onto our USA forum and say hi and get to know everyone. I'm sure you will get lots of support from everyone.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I've recently moved from North Carolina to Florida.
Did you mean where am I from? I'm from Harrogate, Yorkshire. I now live in Augusta, GA... although lived in California when I first came here. Life is good here, apart from my health, as I mentioned. Six years of suffering, recently had my large intestine removed and was better for a short while, but now all the symptoms are coming back. My son is very worried about me and wants to be here to support me. My husband is great, and very loving and supportive, but if only my son was here too. The stress of worrying about him is not a good thing. Love your bouncing sheep btw ;O)
Old May 13th 2013, 8:16 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishSue
Did you mean where am I from? I'm from Harrogate, Yorkshire. I now live in Augusta, GA... although lived in California when I first came here. Life is good here, apart from my health, as I mentioned. Six years of suffering, recently had my large intestine removed and was better for a short while, but now all the symptoms are coming back. My son is very worried about me and wants to be here to support me. My husband is great, and very loving and supportive, but if only my son was here too. The stress of worrying about him is not a good thing. Love your bouncing sheep btw ;O)
Sorry I meant in the US ... I'm all sixes and sevens I've never been to Augusta but I hear it's a nice place.

The bouncing sheep actually belonged to another of our members named fatbrit who recently died. He's been a member here for over 9 years and it's our way of remembering him, many of us are donning his avatar in his honour so you may see a few of them around. A bit depressing to start telling you about a member that has died when you've only just joined, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how much we help and appreciate each other here. We enjoy the banter, and the jokes and pick holes in each other, and moan at each other, and moan about each other, but we are also one big virtual family and we are here for each other and we support each other so I hope that you too will find in time that BE is your little home away from home.

You can read more about fatbrit here
Old May 13th 2013, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Naddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there....I'm sorry your going through such a tough time right now. I know how it feels to be apart from the ones you love, I have been doing it for quite some time. Regarding doing things to improve the waiting time, well is there a possibility your son could come over and visit whilst the I-130 is being processed, I know this helped me cope with being away from my husband, even if it was once.
Hubby & I filed our I-130 petition July 2012 and I have my interview at the embassy in June, so it's taken nearly a year from start to finish. Although every case is different....

I wish I could give you some encouraging words to help you through this challenging time, all I can say is that time does move and fingers crossed your son will be with you soon.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

The immigration forum here really is the best place to ask for advice.

Might help others if you said how old your son was when you got the greencard and US citizenship, but guessing he was over 18 when you got citizenship, so probably won't make much difference.

If he's able to get a visa in his own right, via work or study, he could pursue that too.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

According to the latest Visa bulletin unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens (F1) are being processed from April 06.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_5927.html

Looks like you obtained citizenship when he was 23.

I don't believe that a doctor's letter is going to expedite your cause.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary