An ex ex pat!

Old May 23rd 2015, 11:34 am
Just Joined

sixtyseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile An ex ex pat!

Hi everyone

About 25 years ago, I travelled round the world, and lived in NZ for a year or two, only leaving when the authorities found out that I had overstayed my welcome Boooooo!!
Been lucky enough to have travelled to many different countries since and now content to live here in the UK.

If I can help anyone with anything to do with travel and preparation to stay in another country, I will try.

Nice to be here and thanks
Old May 23rd 2015, 12:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An ex ex pat!

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old May 24th 2015, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

usbrit2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello sixty-seven. I'm 70, and wish I didn't keep getting these urges to go back 'home'. Sometimes they're stronger than others, and right now, I'm really ready to do it again.

I have everything set in my mind, and I can get a very reasonable room to rent wherever I decide to go in the end. However, I will have less than 10,000 GBP annual income, and that worries me a bit. I may be entitled to some benefits, but I don't think that much really, at least not too substantial, that is.

Ah, I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any comments or suggestions. I know there'll be pros and cons, if I get any replies, but I'm trying to look at the upside of it all. I have some family there, mostly cousins that I've recently discovered again...it was nice....visited them last year.

How did you settle back in Scotland? You sound as if you don't mind at all. Good for you.

I have a grown family here in the US, but at my age, I'm looking to do something exciting and yet not feel too terrible at leaving them here. Oh dear, what am I doing, haha. If I don't get it out of my system, I'll always regret I didn't do it. Hey, if it doesn't work out for some reason, I can always come back to the US.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:30 am
Just Joined

jezwhitaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be interested in any insights you had regards planning visas and onward travel, locations you loved and hated.... and how the UK government treats you when you return to the UK. Having paid tax in the UK for many years and only started travelling a year ago (I'm 32) with no plans to go home but not wanting to damage my ability to use the NHS or other services.

To USBrit2015, it sounds like you should go on holiday to the UK for a period of time. Having travelled to various parts of America I know I'd prefer to be in the US rather than my home county of Bucks in the UK. I always have a nagging feeling that the grass is always greener on the other side!
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezwhitaker
I'd be interested in any insights you had regards planning visas and onward travel, locations you loved and hated.... and how the UK government treats you when you return to the UK. Having paid tax in the UK for many years and only started travelling a year ago (I'm 32) with no plans to go home but not wanting to damage my ability to use the NHS or other services.

To USBrit2015, it sounds like you should go on holiday to the UK for a period of time. Having travelled to various parts of America I know I'd prefer to be in the US rather than my home county of Bucks in the UK. I always have a nagging feeling that the grass is always greener on the other side!
Welcome to BE.

As this forum is for introductions only...I suggest you open a new thread in the Moving Back To The UK forum. Thank you.

Moving back to the UK - British Expats

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 2nd 2015 at 1:59 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sixtyseven
Hi everyone

About 25 years ago, I travelled round the world, and lived in NZ for a year or two, only leaving when the authorities found out that I had overstayed my welcome Boooooo!!
Been lucky enough to have travelled to many different countries since and now content to live here in the UK.

If I can help anyone with anything to do with travel and preparation to stay in another country, I will try.

Nice to be here and thanks
Welcome aboard.

Please take a look around our many forums. Any problems just give me a shout.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jezwhitaker, thanks for your thoughts.
I have been on holiday there, last year for three weeks and had a nice time and enjoyed being there. I've also lived there on two occasions for several months at a time in the past, so I think I'm well-seasoned as far as that goes.
You're on the 'other side' of the grass at the moment, and at 32, you have lots of time to experience all these things. You may go through these feelings once you've been here as long as I have and got to this age as well. Since being here, it's easy to realize the grass was just as green on that side. I love travelling, and I've done my share--big time--I used to be a flight attendant, and I've loved America as well. Until you get that longing to go 'home', it's perhaps hard to understand...and it's OK. I hope your life continues to be as exciting and fulfilling as it sounds, God Bless you.

Last edited by usbrit2015; Jun 2nd 2015 at 4:49 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usbrit2015
Hello sixty-seven. I'm 70, and wish I didn't keep getting these urges to go back 'home'. Sometimes they're stronger than others, and right now, I'm really ready to do it again.

I have everything set in my mind, and I can get a very reasonable room to rent wherever I decide to go in the end. However, I will have less than 10,000 GBP annual income, and that worries me a bit. I may be entitled to some benefits, but I don't think that much really, at least not too substantial, that is.
you will be perfectly OK, all you have to do is pack your bags, book a flight & done IMO

Nice place is St Helens, Lancs

Last edited by not2old; Jun 2nd 2015 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Agreed Not2old. I have my flight booked and paid for July 19.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Smile Re: An ex ex pat!

Hello
sixty-seven
I have been contemplating travel to the UK for some time now.
I have plenty of questions and hope that you will be able to answer them if you can.
Talk to you soon