Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Engineering a better life..... in Canada or USA

Engineering a better life..... in Canada or USA

Old May 5th 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold
Default Engineering a better life..... in Canada or USA

Hey all,

Thought I would say hi. I'm Chris. Finally came to the conclusion I'm sick of this country and what kind of future it represents for my family and me. Decided the only way I was going to live the dream would be to finish my education, so right now I'm studying for a degree in Engineering. Looking to "up sticks" and move to either US or Canada. Canada is looking favourite as it seems more receptive towards skilled workers than US does. Realistically it not goiing to be any sooner than 7 years, but you can never plan to far ahead IMHO.
Old May 5th 2011, 5:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering a better life.....

Hi Reaver,

Welcome to BE. You've certainly come to the right place to connect with other people moving abroad and I'm sure you will enjoy interacting with everyone in our USA and Canada forum. Also check out our Wiki as it's packed full of useful info that members have shared.

Oh and if you ever have any site questions please don't hesitate to give myself a Moderator or a Concierge a shout.
Old May 5th 2011, 5:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engineering a better life..... in Canada or USA

Welcome to the Forum
Old May 5th 2011, 6:37 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris

Welcome to BE from me too.

I definitely recommend you check out both the US an Canada forums. There is a wealth of information there. The good things is with 7 years to go you have plenty of time to read it all !

All the best

Dread - x
Old May 5th 2011, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reaver
Hey all,

Thought I would say hi. I'm Chris. Finally came to the conclusion I'm sick of this country and what kind of future it represents for my family and me. Decided the only way I was going to live the dream would be to finish my education, so right now I'm studying for a degree in Engineering. Looking to "up sticks" and move to either US or Canada. Canada is looking favourite as it seems more receptive towards skilled workers than US does. Realistically it not goiing to be any sooner than 7 years, but you can never plan to far ahead IMHO.
Hey Chris...welcome aboard. You are quite right is it usually far easier to move to Canada than it is to move to the US. I hear what you say about the UK but from someone who has lived in the US for 15 years...the grass on the other side of the fence is not greener...it's just different.

I see you have already found your way into our Canada forum...you'll have lots of fun exchanging banter with our members in the Canada forums. They are also a mine of information about all things to do with the Great White North. You will notice that we have an excellent immigration forum...any questions about the immigration process should be posted in there.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

I hope I've been able to provide you with some useful information...please give me a shout if you should need any further help.
Old May 5th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks JerseyGirl. Obviously, one country is as bad as another if you live there long enough and Ive taken that into consideration, but Im looking for the great outdoors that really is the great outdoors, not just the bit between one town and the next.

As you're no doubt aware Britain has some of the smallest homes with regard to square footage out of any of the countries of the civilised world. The engineers here are paid crap money unless they move near the capital, and I figure if I save enough money, with the exchange rate and the wages engineers are paid in North Amerca generally, we could buy ourselves a small mansion for the same price as a 3 bedroom squat here in the UK. But Im wandering off topic. Thanks for the welcome.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reaver
Thanks JerseyGirl. Obviously, one country is as bad as another if you live there long enough and Ive taken that into consideration, but Im looking for the great outdoors that really is the great outdoors, not just the bit between one town and the next.

As you're no doubt aware Britain has some of the smallest homes with regard to square footage out of any of the countries of the civilised world. The engineers here are paid crap money unless they move near the capital, and I figure if I save enough money, with the exchange rate and the wages engineers are paid in North Amerca generally, we could buy ourselves a small mansion for the same price as a 3 bedroom squat here in the UK. But Im wandering off topic. Thanks for the welcome.
Where I live house prices are comparable to Surrey. It all depends where you live. Also the houses in North America are built of wood and plastic...not a double layer of brick. For roof tiles...think of the stuff we put on the roof of garden sheds. I could go on about the crap amount of holidays per year...etc etc...but as I said it's not greener just different. Many will tell you that the UK is a great place to live...sometimes it takes a move overseas to appreciate it. Anyway good for you for wanting to try something different.

My daughter lives in Toronto and loves it...she skis and ice skates in winter. Cycles and runs as the weather starts to warm up.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 5th 2011 at 11:43 pm.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, no editorializing in the Welcome Inn!

N American houses have their advantages, they are just different. Older construction is often better than newer. Keep an open mind, Reaver. And the same for your immigration! One of the nicest ways 'in' to the US is an intracompany transfer, so when you start taking engineering jobs, you might look at companies with a presence in the US.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hey, no editorializing in the Welcome Inn!

You just made that up!!
Old May 6th 2011, 2:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You just made that up!!
I never!
OK, maybe.