Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Expat access to the NHS - what do you do?

Expat access to the NHS - what do you do?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

MrToast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat access to the NHS - what do you do?

Hello,

This is my first post. If this is the wrong forum for this query please advise me!

Here goes....

At the tender age of 60 and retired in the UK on a modest (but okay!) income, I'm considering moving abroad (to Thailand). Even though after I move I'll continue to be a UK taxpayer, by rights I'll have to give up my right to NHS treatment (except for accident & emergency) as I'll no longer be resident in the UK.

My concern is visiting the UK sometime in the future and getting ill. Yes, I have private medical insurance which would cover me in the UK - but it only covers me for hospital treatment, and even then it doesn't cover me at all for pre-existing conditions (of which I have a few!).

The prospect of visiting the UK sometime in the future and then getting ill is therefore making me rather nervous as I'm not a rich man and can't really afford private health care in the UK.

Is anyone else in a similar position?

What do you do?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat access to the NHS - what do you do?

Originally Posted by MrToast
Hello,

This is my first post. If this is the wrong forum for this query please advise me!

Here goes....

At the tender age of 60 and retired in the UK on a modest (but okay!) income, I'm considering moving abroad (to Thailand). Even though after I move I'll continue to be a UK taxpayer, by rights I'll have to give up my right to NHS treatment (except for accident & emergency) as I'll no longer be resident in the UK.

My concern is visiting the UK sometime in the future and getting ill. Yes, I have private medical insurance which would cover me in the UK - but it only covers me for hospital treatment, and even then it doesn't cover me at all for pre-existing conditions (of which I have a few!).

The prospect of visiting the UK sometime in the future and then getting ill is therefore making me rather nervous as I'm not a rich man and can't really afford private health care in the UK.

Is anyone else in a similar position?

What do you do?

Thanks!
Welcome to BE MrToast.

One of the great things about the UK is the NHS and social services as one gets older. Something to really consider before giving up your residency. Of course you can also go back to the UK to live if need be. I live in the US and reading through the US forums there are many people who go back to the UK when they retire for that very reason.

Why do you wish to move to Thailand? Here is the link to our Far East Forums...why don't you pop over there and take a look around? We have several members who have retired/or wish to retire to Thailand...perhaps they can answer some of your concerns.

To help guide you around the forums we have a team of concierges...the concierges for the Far East Forums are bakedbean and nonthaburi...they will be pleased to help you find your way around the site.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. We do not have a dedicated mod for the FE forums...therefore if you need assistance please contact a mod from this list....the moderators' names are printed in bold print.

Please give me a shout if you need help with anything.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE MrToast.

Of course you can also go back to the UK to live if need be.
Thank you.

Yes, I know in the future I'd be able to move back to the UK permanently and thus regain my NHS access.

But, as I say, it's the 6-monthly or annual visits back to the UK before that time arrives that concern me.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrToast
Thank you.

Yes, I know in the future I'd be able to move back to the UK permanently and thus regain my NHS access.

But, as I say, it's the 6-monthly or annual visits back to the UK before that time arrives that concern me.
As you know you will be entitled to free emergency treatment...other treatment is down to the discretion of the doctor/medical centre. They may charge you...they may not. It seems that they are clamping down on 'medical tourism'...therefore the rules could change in the future.

This subject is discussed regularly in our Moving Back To The UK forum. If you're interested take a read through some of the threads. You can search the forums for relevant threads using the search function located in the pink bar at the top of the page. I suggest you go to 'Advance Search'...then search thread titles.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

As you know you will be entitled to free emergency treatment...other treatment is down to the discretion of the doctor/medical centre. They may charge you...they may not. It seems that they are clamping down on 'medical tourism'...therefore the rules could change in the future.
And then there's all the cuts! I can't help thinking they'll be tightening up in areas like 'expat healthcare'.

This subject is discussed regularly in our Moving Back To The UK forum. If you're interested take a read through some of the threads. You can search the forums for relevant threads using the search function located in the pink bar at the top of the page. I suggest you go to 'Advance Search'...then search thread titles.
Ah, thanks. I'll take a look.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mr Toast

As I understand it (and someone correct me if I am wrong), if you were taken ill in the UK and it was an emergency situation, you'd get NHS treatment. And you can always move back of course - it's your right - but hearing of all the waiting lists in the UK for NHS treatment.... well, not sure I would, but that's just my opinion.

Personally speaking, and you did ask what others do, just have to do what you can with private medical insurance, keep some rainy day money to hand for medical expenses, and keep yourself surrounded by good close friends (or family) in case you need some help in the future. That's what I'm doing. I have no family here in Malaysia but have built up a circle of very nice retired friends and I think we can all help each other out if and when the time ever comes... gawd, I'm feeling a bit depressed now

I used to live in Thailand and I reckon the docs and hospitals are just as good as the UK. Anyways.... hope you'll pop over to the Thailand forum and have a chat. Just follow the link below....

Thailand forum

I'm sure you'll have a whale of a time in Thailand. As the Buddhists there will say "live for the moment", so don't worry too much, will you.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Personally speaking, and you did ask what others do, just have to do what you can with private medical insurance, keep some rainy day money to hand for medical expenses, and keep yourself surrounded by good close friends (or family) in case you need some help in the future. That's what I'm doing. I have no family here in Malaysia but have built up a circle of very nice retired friends and I think we can all help each other out if and when the time ever comes... gawd, I'm feeling a bit depressed now
Thanks for your kind words, bakedbean. You're quite correct, I can be a bit of a worrier!

And thanks for relating your own approach to the issue I'm raising. What you say is kind of what I'm expecting I'll have to do, I guess.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yup... a lot of us in the same boat. Anyway, see you over in the Thailand forum for a chat.