Reload this Page >

Can I get a work Visa??

Can I get a work Visa??

Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Shas29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I get a work Visa??

Hi All,
My husband has an opportunity to work overseas for 3/6 years with his company so his work permit would be fine. What I want to know is would I be able to get a work permit as his spouse in case I do want to work when we get out there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:28 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get a work Visa??

Originally Posted by Shas29
Hi All,
My husband has an opportunity to work overseas for 3/6 years with his company so his work permit would be fine. What I want to know is would I be able to get a work permit as his spouse in case I do want to work when we get out there.

Thanks.
The world is a big place - want to narrow it down a bit

And welcome to BE
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The world is a big place - want to narrow it down a bit

And welcome to BE
His given options are. USA, Aus, Dubai, Canada and New Zealand so at the moment we are unsure of where we will end up.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:52 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

His given options are. USA, Aus, Dubai, Canada and New Zealand so at the moment we are unsure of where we will end up.
You would be ok in Aus, but not sure of the other's. Is it his decision, or the companies?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum. That's a big number of options. I imagine the answer to your question might be different for each country. Probably best to find out where he's going to be posted first, then check in the individual country section of this forum.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

It's a joint decision. It's something he's wanted to do for a number of years and now is the right time so he is about to be sponsored by his company. I'm totally cool with the whole idea, I currently work from home as and when I please but just need to know if I wanted/ needed to work out wherever that I have the opportunity to do that.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

For the US it would depend on what visa your hubby would get, but if it's a L visa you should be ok.

Look at these two pages and scroll down to were it refers to family:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD

If he's expecting to get an H then you wouldn't be able to work:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It's a joint decision. It's something he's wanted to do for a number of years and now is the right time so he is about to be sponsored by his company. I'm totally cool with the whole idea, I currently work from home as and when I please but just need to know if I wanted/ needed to work out wherever that I have the opportunity to do that.
You'd really need to check the individual country forums and the immigration websites fior those countires to see where he could actually be sponsored - each country has various regulations that a company has to meet in order to sponsor an employee.

For Australia start with http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the replies, at least I've some starting points and some websites to check out
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

For Canada, it would depend on his job. If its classed as a 'skilled' job (Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix), then you would get an open work permit. But if it's Skill Level C or D then you wouldn't be able to get a work permit off the back of your husbands.

HTH, good luck deciding!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:24 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!
For New Zealand you would apply for an 'open' work visa on the back of your husband's work visa. He cannot apply for a work visa until the job is confirmed.
There are other visa options depending on what his job situation is...

This is the official NZ immigration site, everything is on there. If you have any specific questions then start a new thread in the NZ immigration forum.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
P
Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

US - if he's been with them over a year, can get a L1 visa, transfer, which allows you to apply for a EAD once in the US, which would then allow you to work, it costs a few hundred to get and usually only good for a year before needing a renewal, though some people have gotten it for two years. It takes around 60-90 days to get.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks.
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary