Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:46 pm   #1
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Smile Brit girl about to move to the USA

Hello there!

Currently in the process of getting my K1 visa approved; got my interview scheduled for September and, all being well with that, will be off to Charlotte, NC in October, to be married in December.

I've previously been a teacher and a psychologist, but with the big changes that come with emigrating (and not being allowed to do any paid work in the States until I'm married and the AOS goes through), I've decided to follow what has only ever been a dream/hobby before: a career in photography.

My fiancé lives and works in NC and has spent all summer in the UK with me and our friends/family. I cannot wait to be with him again!

On here, I hope to speak to other UKnians planning on moving to the USA, via a K1 or otherwise. And any helpful hints on adapting to life in the States, things to do when missing my fiancé ridiculously, and anything else I may have missed!
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:24 pm   #2
*********
Super Moderator
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 76,777
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambuesas View Post
Hello there!

Currently in the process of getting my K1 visa approved; got my interview scheduled for September and, all being well with that, will be off to Charlotte, NC in October, to be married in December.

I've previously been a teacher and a psychologist, but with the big changes that come with emigrating (and not being allowed to do any paid work in the States until I'm married and the AOS goes through), I've decided to follow what has only ever been a dream/hobby before: a career in photography.

My fiancé lives and works in NC and has spent all summer in the UK with me and our friends/family. I cannot wait to be with him again!

On here, I hope to speak to other UKnians planning on moving to the USA, via a K1 or otherwise. And any helpful hints on adapting to life in the States, things to do when missing my fiancé ridiculously, and anything else I may have missed!
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Are you getting married in the UK or US?

You will find lots of people in a situation as yourself in our US Marriage Based Visa forum. The people who post in that forum will help you out with any questions you may have about the immigration/visa process. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there. You may also like to take a look around the US Forums.

You will also find several people living in the NC area who post in the US Forums. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around? We help and support each other...but we also have a lot of fun along the way.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
__________________
You can take the girl out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the girl.
Saw it. Wanted it. Had a fit. Got it.
The higher the heels...the closer to God.


Please contact me here if you have any site related problems.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:59 am   #3
Premium Member
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,095
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Are you getting married in the UK or US?

You will find lots of people in a situation as yourself in our US Marriage Based Visa forum. The people who post in that forum will help you out with any questions you may have about the immigration/visa process. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there. You may also like to take a look around the US Forums.

You will also find several people living in the NC area who post in the US Forums. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around? We help and support each other...but we also have a lot of fun along the way.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Hello and welcome,

Congrats on your up-coming marriage. Both your past and your future sound wonderfully interesting. I see Jerseygirl has you well set up for helpful links and useful information, and so I'll just bid you greetings from Ontario, Canada.

With every good wish,
Christian
Christian is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 4:20 am   #4
Yes, I know i'm awesome.
 
ljaw2002uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 624
ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambuesas View Post
Hello there!

Currently in the process of getting my K1 visa approved; got my interview scheduled for September and, all being well with that, will be off to Charlotte, NC in October, to be married in December.

I've previously been a teacher and a psychologist, but with the big changes that come with emigrating (and not being allowed to do any paid work in the States until I'm married and the AOS goes through), I've decided to follow what has only ever been a dream/hobby before: a career in photography.

My fiancé lives and works in NC and has spent all summer in the UK with me and our friends/family. I cannot wait to be with him again!
My cousin lives close to Charlotte and also came to the US on a K1. His passport was stamped at POE with authorization to work, assuming you are flying into Charlotte, then this might be worth asking about when you go through secondary processing! (I flew into MSP, and have been sitting at home for four months going slowly insane!).

Good luck with your interview!
__________________
K1: submitted July 2010, interview March 2011, visa arrived March 2011, arrived in US 04/25/11, married 06/10/11. AOS: Submitted 06/28/11, NOA 08/05/11, Biometrics 09/12/11, EAD approved 09/12/11, EAD Card 09/20/11, GC approved 10/20/11. GC arrived 10/27/11.
ljaw2002uk is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:14 am   #5
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Thank you to everyone for their kind and helpful replies. I have chatted on a couple of threads in the US and marriage-based fora, so I will keep exploring around there for now.

We're getting married in the US; as you no doubt know, the K1 visa is a fiancé/e visa, which means that it allows one-time entry into the States and you have to marry your "US petitioner" within 90 days.

Thanks again for the help, and I'm really excited about exploring the site!
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:17 am   #6
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk View Post
My cousin lives close to Charlotte and also came to the US on a K1. His passport was stamped at POE with authorization to work, assuming you are flying into Charlotte, then this might be worth asking about when you go through secondary processing! (I flew into MSP, and have been sitting at home for four months going slowly insane!).

Good luck with your interview!
That's interesting! I had heard that that was possible, but unusual. Do you have to ask specifically or was your cousin just surprised by it when he got his passport back? Was that long ago?

Having looked on the USCIS website and the US Gov sites, it sounds like it is something they used to do but not any more. However, if it's worth asking (as Charlotte is indeed my first and only US stop), I shall!

I hear the AOS takes some months to process? How is yours going - do you have much longer to wait?
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:18 am   #7
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Hello and welcome,

Congrats on your up-coming marriage. Both your past and your future sound wonderfully interesting. I see Jerseygirl has you well set up for helpful links and useful information, and so I'll just bid you greetings from Ontario, Canada.

With every good wish,
Christian
Thank you, Christian! I hope Canada is treating you well.
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:48 pm   #8
Just Joined
 
HighlandScott's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 21
HighlandScott is a jewel in the roughHighlandScott is a jewel in the roughHighlandScott is a jewel in the roughHighlandScott is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Welcome

Just joined here myself. I'm hoping to move over to the US in November- but I'm going via CR1 visa. We got married in in Scotland in Feb and started the visa process in March.

Can't say I've ever heard of K1's being allowed to work upon entry- that's the reason we didn't go that route, instead taking the pain of seperation after marriage, but at least I can work on the day I get there in Nov.

Good luck and all the best with whatever happens
HighlandScott is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:42 pm   #9
Yes, I know i'm awesome.
 
ljaw2002uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 624
ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambuesas View Post
That's interesting! I had heard that that was possible, but unusual. Do you have to ask specifically or was your cousin just surprised by it when he got his passport back? Was that long ago?

Having looked on the USCIS website and the US Gov sites, it sounds like it is something they used to do but not any more. However, if it's worth asking (as Charlotte is indeed my first and only US stop), I shall!

I hear the AOS takes some months to process? How is yours going - do you have much longer to wait?
It was about 18 months ago, and he didn't ask for it, they just did it.

My AOS has taken since the end of June so far, we have just had my travel authorised but not heard anything on the EAD or GC yet.
__________________
K1: submitted July 2010, interview March 2011, visa arrived March 2011, arrived in US 04/25/11, married 06/10/11. AOS: Submitted 06/28/11, NOA 08/05/11, Biometrics 09/12/11, EAD approved 09/12/11, EAD Card 09/20/11, GC approved 10/20/11. GC arrived 10/27/11.
ljaw2002uk is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:00 pm   #10
Premium Member
 
dreadsoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,680
dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Hi Frambuesas

I see you have been given the right links and found your way to a useful forum, which just leaves me to say welcome to BE and good luck with both your move and your up and coming wedding.
Also good luck with the photography career

Dread - x
dreadsoc is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:02 pm   #11
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsoc View Post
Hi Frambuesas

I see you have been given the right links and found your way to a useful forum, which just leaves me to say welcome to BE and good luck with both your move and your up and coming wedding.
Also good luck with the photography career

Dread - x
Thank you very much!
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:03 pm   #12
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandScott View Post
Welcome

Just joined here myself. I'm hoping to move over to the US in November- but I'm going via CR1 visa. We got married in in Scotland in Feb and started the visa process in March.

Can't say I've ever heard of K1's being allowed to work upon entry- that's the reason we didn't go that route, instead taking the pain of seperation after marriage, but at least I can work on the day I get there in Nov.

Good luck and all the best with whatever happens
I can imagine the pain is pretty bad, but being able to work is nigh on essential. Do you have a definite date yet?

I've only ever heard of being stamped okay to work in NC, and I've heard it twice, but I won't be holding my breath!
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:04 pm   #13
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk View Post
It was about 18 months ago, and he didn't ask for it, they just did it.

My AOS has taken since the end of June so far, we have just had my travel authorised but not heard anything on the EAD or GC yet.
Ugh, what a pain! I guess there's no way you can check on the status?

I will definitely check if they stamp me that, and ask what the policy is if they don't. Here's hoping!
frambuesas is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:21 pm   #14
Yes, I know i'm awesome.
 
ljaw2002uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 624
ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambuesas View Post
Ugh, what a pain! I guess there's no way you can check on the status?

I will definitely check if they stamp me that, and ask what the policy is if they don't. Here's hoping!
I will be able to chase for the EAD tomorrow, hopefully it's just the biometric appointment holding it up and then we are done.
__________________
K1: submitted July 2010, interview March 2011, visa arrived March 2011, arrived in US 04/25/11, married 06/10/11. AOS: Submitted 06/28/11, NOA 08/05/11, Biometrics 09/12/11, EAD approved 09/12/11, EAD Card 09/20/11, GC approved 10/20/11. GC arrived 10/27/11.
ljaw2002uk is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:22 pm   #15
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 171
frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk View Post
I will be able to chase for the EAD tomorrow, hopefully it's just the biometric appointment holding it up and then we are done.
Brilliant! Hope it can be worked out for you ASAP. Let me know how it goes!
frambuesas is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com