British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Brit girl about to move to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/brit-girl-about-move-usa-730222/)

frambuesas Aug 27th 2011 7:46 pm

Brit girl about to move to the USA

Hello there!

Currently in the process of getting my K1 visa approved; got my interview scheduled for September and, all being well with that, will be off to Charlotte, NC in October, to be married in December.

I've previously been a teacher and a psychologist, but with the big changes that come with emigrating (and not being allowed to do any paid work in the States until I'm married and the AOS goes through), I've decided to follow what has only ever been a dream/hobby before: a career in photography.

My fiancé lives and works in NC and has spent all summer in the UK with me and our friends/family. I cannot wait to be with him again!

On here, I hope to speak to other UKnians planning on moving to the USA, via a K1 or otherwise. :) And any helpful hints on adapting to life in the States, things to do when missing my fiancé ridiculously, and anything else I may have missed!

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Brit girl about to move to the USA

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 9585468)
Hello there!

Currently in the process of getting my K1 visa approved; got my interview scheduled for September and, all being well with that, will be off to Charlotte, NC in October, to be married in December.

I've previously been a teacher and a psychologist, but with the big changes that come with emigrating (and not being allowed to do any paid work in the States until I'm married and the AOS goes through), I've decided to follow what has only ever been a dream/hobby before: a career in photography.

My fiancé lives and works in NC and has spent all summer in the UK with me and our friends/family. I cannot wait to be with him again!

On here, I hope to speak to other UKnians planning on moving to the USA, via a K1 or otherwise. :) And any helpful hints on adapting to life in the States, things to do when missing my fiancé ridiculously, and anything else I may have missed!

Hi there and welcome to BE.

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Are you getting married in the UK or US?

You will find lots of people in a situation as yourself in our US Marriage Based Visa forum. The people who post in that forum will help you out with any questions you may have about the immigration/visa process. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there. You may also like to take a look around the US Forums.

You will also find several people living in the NC area who post in the US Forums. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around? We help and support each other...but we also have a lot of fun along the way. :thumbsup:

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. :)

Christian Aug 28th 2011 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9585592)
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Are you getting married in the UK or US?

You will find lots of people in a situation as yourself in our US Marriage Based Visa forum. The people who post in that forum will help you out with any questions you may have about the immigration/visa process. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

I also suggest you take a look in the BE Wiki...there's lots of info in there. You may also like to take a look around the US Forums.

You will also find several people living in the NC area who post in the US Forums. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around? We help and support each other...but we also have a lot of fun along the way. :thumbsup:

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. :)

Hello and welcome,

Congrats on your up-coming marriage. Both your past and your future sound wonderfully interesting. I see Jerseygirl has you well set up for helpful links and useful information, and so I'll just bid you greetings from Ontario, Canada.

With every good wish,
Christian :)

ljaw2002uk Aug 28th 2011 4:20 am

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 9585468)
Hello there!

My cousin lives close to Charlotte and also came to the US on a K1. His passport was stamped at POE with authorization to work, assuming you are flying into Charlotte, then this might be worth asking about when you go through secondary processing! (I flew into MSP, and have been sitting at home for four months going slowly insane!).

Good luck with your interview! :)

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 9:14 am

Thank you to everyone for their kind and helpful replies. I have chatted on a couple of threads in the US and marriage-based fora, so I will keep exploring around there for now.

We're getting married in the US; as you no doubt know, the K1 visa is a fiancé/e visa, which means that it allows one-time entry into the States and you have to marry your "US petitioner" within 90 days.

Thanks again for the help, and I'm really excited about exploring the site!

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk (Post 9585983)
My cousin lives close to Charlotte and also came to the US on a K1. His passport was stamped at POE with authorization to work, assuming you are flying into Charlotte, then this might be worth asking about when you go through secondary processing! (I flew into MSP, and have been sitting at home for four months going slowly insane!).

Good luck with your interview! :)

That's interesting! I had heard that that was possible, but unusual. Do you have to ask specifically or was your cousin just surprised by it when he got his passport back? Was that long ago?

Having looked on the USCIS website and the US Gov sites, it sounds like it is something they used to do but not any more. However, if it's worth asking (as Charlotte is indeed my first and only US stop), I shall!

I hear the AOS takes some months to process? How is yours going - do you have much longer to wait?

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Christian (Post 9585965)
Hello and welcome,

Congrats on your up-coming marriage. Both your past and your future sound wonderfully interesting. I see Jerseygirl has you well set up for helpful links and useful information, and so I'll just bid you greetings from Ontario, Canada.

With every good wish,
Christian :)

Thank you, Christian! I hope Canada is treating you well. :)

HighlandScott Aug 28th 2011 1:48 pm

Welcome :)

Just joined here myself. I'm hoping to move over to the US in November- but I'm going via CR1 visa. We got married in in Scotland in Feb and started the visa process in March.

Can't say I've ever heard of K1's being allowed to work upon entry- that's the reason we didn't go that route, instead taking the pain of seperation after marriage, but at least I can work on the day I get there in Nov.

Good luck and all the best with whatever happens :)

ljaw2002uk Aug 28th 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 9586239)
That's interesting! I had heard that that was possible, but unusual. Do you have to ask specifically or was your cousin just surprised by it when he got his passport back? Was that long ago?

Having looked on the USCIS website and the US Gov sites, it sounds like it is something they used to do but not any more. However, if it's worth asking (as Charlotte is indeed my first and only US stop), I shall!

I hear the AOS takes some months to process? How is yours going - do you have much longer to wait?

It was about 18 months ago, and he didn't ask for it, they just did it.

My AOS has taken since the end of June so far, we have just had my travel authorised but not heard anything on the EAD or GC yet.

dreadsoc Aug 28th 2011 10:00 pm

Hi Frambuesas

I see you have been given the right links and found your way to a useful forum, which just leaves me to say welcome to BE and good luck with both your move and your up and coming wedding.
Also good luck with the photography career

Dread - x

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by dreadsoc (Post 9587065)
Hi Frambuesas

I see you have been given the right links and found your way to a useful forum, which just leaves me to say welcome to BE and good luck with both your move and your up and coming wedding.
Also good luck with the photography career

Dread - x

Thank you very much!

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by HighlandScott (Post 9586488)
Welcome :)

Just joined here myself. I'm hoping to move over to the US in November- but I'm going via CR1 visa. We got married in in Scotland in Feb and started the visa process in March.

Can't say I've ever heard of K1's being allowed to work upon entry- that's the reason we didn't go that route, instead taking the pain of seperation after marriage, but at least I can work on the day I get there in Nov.

Good luck and all the best with whatever happens :)

I can imagine the pain is pretty bad, but being able to work is nigh on essential. Do you have a definite date yet?

I've only ever heard of being stamped okay to work in NC, and I've heard it twice, but I won't be holding my breath!

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk (Post 9586630)
It was about 18 months ago, and he didn't ask for it, they just did it.

My AOS has taken since the end of June so far, we have just had my travel authorised but not heard anything on the EAD or GC yet.

Ugh, what a pain! I guess there's no way you can check on the status?

I will definitely check if they stamp me that, and ask what the policy is if they don't. Here's hoping! :)

ljaw2002uk Aug 28th 2011 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 9587170)
Ugh, what a pain! I guess there's no way you can check on the status?

I will definitely check if they stamp me that, and ask what the policy is if they don't. Here's hoping! :)

I will be able to chase for the EAD tomorrow, hopefully it's just the biometric appointment holding it up and then we are done.

frambuesas Aug 28th 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk (Post 9587194)
I will be able to chase for the EAD tomorrow, hopefully it's just the biometric appointment holding it up and then we are done.

Brilliant! Hope it can be worked out for you ASAP. Let me know how it goes! :)