Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Border control Heathrow non EU passport holder

Border control Heathrow non EU passport holder

Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Border control Heathrow non EU passport holder

I have just joined this forum but not sure where I should post my question. We live in The Bahamas and are planning to visit the UK next month. I am a British citizen so I would normally go through the EU passport line at Heathrow. My husband is nearly 74 and has a Guyanese passport but has a visa to visit the UK. I dread the long lines I am hearing about at Heathrow and am concerned that it will be too much for my husband. If he has to stand in the non EU line, I will definitely accompany him if the lines are long but I would also like to know if he can accompany me in the EU line if we present together? Are there people we can ask on arrival? I see from another thread that sometimes they allow non EU spouses to accompany the EU spouse but would like to hear from others who may have been faced with this issue, please.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:02 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border control Heathrow non EU passport holder

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
I have just joined this forum but not sure where I should post my question. We live in The Bahamas and are planning to visit the UK next month. I am a British citizen so I would normally go through the EU passport line at Heathrow. My husband is nearly 74 and has a Guyanese passport but has a visa to visit the UK. I dread the long lines I am hearing about at Heathrow and am concerned that it will be too much for my husband. If he has to stand in the non EU line, I will definitely accompany him if the lines are long but I would also like to know if he can accompany me in the EU line if we present together? Are there people we can ask on arrival? I see from another thread that sometimes they allow non EU spouses to accompany the EU spouse but would like to hear from others who may have been faced with this issue, please.
Hello and to BE.

Most of our members who have non UKC spouses report that they accompany them through the EU line with no problem. You can also accompany your husband through the non EU line. Sometimes it's quicker than the EU line...depends on how many flights have arrived at the same time and where they are from.

I see you have already posted in the Rest of the World forum. I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the welcome and advice. Very helpful forum!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:57 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My husband is a British passport holder while myself and our children hold Aussie passports. We were all able to accompany my husband through the EU queue when we arrived at Heathrow last year. Hope this helps!

Ajw
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

It certainly does! Many thanks for responding!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:05 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michali

First of all welcome to BE.

I would suggest that as your hubby is 74 you request transfer assistance via the airline and explain your dilemma to them.
What this means is that they will either take him by wheelchair or by those little golf cart type things they drive through all the airport procedures. It also means they will put him to the front of the queue at immigration so he won;t be at risk from standing in line.

Hope this helps and hope your trip to the UK goes smoothly

Dread - x
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the welcome! I had thought of that but he would never agree to that! He can line up for awhile but the thought of two to three hours queuing worries me. Last year it took about 40 minutes for him to get through the non EU line and that was fine. In fact the agent told him he could have come through with me but years ago he was told he should not have come in the EU line with me! We would definitely ask if it is OK for him to accompany me before joining the line. I appreciate all the responses. This is a great forum!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:18 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome! I had thought of that but he would never agree to that! He can line up for awhile but the thought of two to three hours queuing worries me. Last year it took about 40 minutes for him to get through the non EU line and that was fine. In fact the agent told him he could have come through with me but years ago he was told he should not have come in the EU line with me! We would definitely ask if it is OK for him to accompany me before joining the line. I appreciate all the responses. This is a great forum!
Typical stubborn man then !!

Dread - x
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

An update! We came in today and came through together my UK/EU line. All went so easily and quickly! Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

An update! We came in today and came through together my UK/EU line. All went so easily and quickly! Thanks for the advice everyone!
Thank you for taking the trouble to update us. Nice to see you again...hope you stick around the forums.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I certainly will! I have been posting quite a lot on the new Rules which I find pretty awful. I joined the forum for one reason and now have found many reasons to stay!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 12:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for coming back with an update. It will be great for others to read your experiences.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point

Further to this question. I'll be arriving back in Heathrow next week with my Canadian girlfriend for a three week holiday and to visit my parents for Christmas. I'd rather not be separated from her at the passport queues if possible as she's never been outside of Canada before and the hustle and bustle of Heathrow will no doubt be a bit disorientating. Given that we're not married can she accompany me through the UK/EU line or I accompany her through the non-EU line? If push comes to shove we can just meet up in the baggage area but I'd rather not.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am really not sure if she will be allowed to go through with you but what we found is that are several officials in the border control whom you can ask. That way you are sure you are doing it the right way! Good luck! I am not sure what the lines are like these days but when we travelled in August, even the non EU line was moving quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.