Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:42 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
ByeDubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to UK - first post!

Hello all!

Another expat wishing to return home.. just came back to Dubai after 2 weeks in UK and it gets harder to leave every time.

I came to Dubai in 2009 after marriage as my husband was living here and can't say I ever settled. To me, feels like a different planet. Some love it here, others hate. Can't say I hate it, just doesn't fit into my sense of reality. Also miss my family and that English way of things.

So.. now have to make a decision as to when I go. Circumstances, 44, work here as PA, no children, hubby Iraqi - engineer.

Discussed with friends back home and they say job situation is not too bad back there, one friend (also PA) was offered 4 jobs in a week so that gives me some optimism. Accommodation, hopefully this will be with friends or can easily be found. (Was renting before back in London.) Only downer is that my husband will not be able to come to UK until I have at least 3 months work back in UK under my belt, and he is granted a spouse visa - could therefore be a separation of 3, 6 or even 12 months!!! The time we will be apart is unknown and makes me very upset but if I want to return to my home country then this sacrifice has to be made, otherwise I will never be able to live, with my husband, in my home country again. We do have the option at some point to go to Canada.. but - I want to go home to the UK and due to our ages, we can't afford to leave it any later.

So.. does anyone have any advice on the best ways of looking for work... either from where I am now, in Dubai, or it is best to wait til i return to the UK and start looking then? What's the most successful option?

Thanks for reading, and good luck to all also doing and thinking the same. Yes, it's a scary step and I can fully appreciate it when others ask.. "are we doing the right thing?"
ByeDubai is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:38 pm   #2
The Kwisatz Haderach
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Good luck with the plans, I think your best resource is your PA friend who was offered 4 jobs, I'd go with the whatever plan she used to get those job interviews.
There are others on here who are separated from loved ones and working to get back together in the UK.
__________________
Mum to two and one
US-85 to 91. UK-91 to 92. US-92 to 2013. Home at last September 2013.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:31 pm   #3
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 172
mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
Good luck with the plans, I think your best resource is your PA friend who was offered 4 jobs, I'd go with the whatever plan she used to get those job interviews.
There are others on here who are separated from loved ones and working to get back together in the UK.
I have not seen my OH in 8 weeks and I wont see him until April at the earliest maybe longer if our home doesnt sell and I havent even got it on the market yet ( tomorrow is the day)...Christmas and New Year was lonely and quite but I actually took advantage and enjoyed the peace..

We talk most days using Skype video, we even at times have meals together using Skype, he has dinner I have lunch as we are 6 hours behind, in someways its been like courting all over again...LOL

Good luck with your plans, allow friends and family to help where possible...
mctraill is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:57 pm   #4
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
osnaith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeDubai View Post
Hello all!

Another expat wishing to return home.. just came back to Dubai after 2 weeks in UK and it gets harder to leave every time.

I came to Dubai in 2009 after marriage as my husband was living here and can't say I ever settled. To me, feels like a different planet. Some love it here, others hate. Can't say I hate it, just doesn't fit into my sense of reality. Also miss my family and that English way of things.

So.. now have to make a decision as to when I go. Circumstances, 44, work here as PA, no children, hubby Iraqi - engineer.

Discussed with friends back home and they say job situation is not too bad back there, one friend (also PA) was offered 4 jobs in a week so that gives me some optimism. Accommodation, hopefully this will be with friends or can easily be found. (Was renting before back in London.) Only downer is that my husband will not be able to come to UK until I have at least 3 months work back in UK under my belt, and he is granted a spouse visa - could therefore be a separation of 3, 6 or even 12 months!!! The time we will be apart is unknown and makes me very upset but if I want to return to my home country then this sacrifice has to be made, otherwise I will never be able to live, with my husband, in my home country again. We do have the option at some point to go to Canada.. but - I want to go home to the UK and due to our ages, we can't afford to leave it any later.

So.. does anyone have any advice on the best ways of looking for work... either from where I am now, in Dubai, or it is best to wait til i return to the UK and start looking then? What's the most successful option?

Thanks for reading, and good luck to all also doing and thinking the same. Yes, it's a scary step and I can fully appreciate it when others ask.. "are we doing the right thing?"
Hello

You dont need to be any amount of time working in the UK before your husband can apply for a spouse settlement visa. You only need to prove that you are a British citizen, you are both married, have suitable accomodation to arrive to in the UK (friends, family or rental etc)and your husband can be supported financially without recorse to public funds. You can use evidence of savings, investments in your name or his name or both or even use a sponsor ie family.
If you need more information dont hesitate to ask.
I am going through the same from Mexico with my Mexican wife.
osnaith is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:59 pm   #5
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
ByeDubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Thanks for the responses...

I know that when I return I have to register with all the relevant agencies, my main concern is getting a job soon after I arrive. The sooner I can secure a permanent position, the sooner I can apply for a spouse visa.

On this note, it's a real fear and my husband is very anxious as he may or may not be given the visa. He was banned for 10 years for applying for a visit visa (which does not seem to be that uncommon, a colleague's fiance has just had the same ban slapped on him and she simply wanted to take him home to Ireland to celebrate christmas with her and her family); and hubby is worried what will happen if we can't be reunited. Of course this is another topic altogether. I expect once I get settled back into a routine in London things will be ok, and yes, we will also connect via Skype daily; it will just be an anxious time for both of us and I know I won't be at peace til my husband is with me.

So, going back to my original post, should I start applying for work from here in Dubai for back home, or wait til I get back to the UK?

Thanks again and thoughts are with those going through some tough times.
ByeDubai is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:26 pm   #6
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 172
mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeDubai View Post
So, going back to my original post, should I start applying for work from here in Dubai for back home, or wait til I get back to the UK?

Thanks again and thoughts are with those going through some tough times.
My OH applied for work back in the UK from the US, however the agencies wanted to see him and interview him in person and most of the jobs he applied for either didnt reply or said contact us when your back in the UK, even the agencies said tells us when your going to be back in the UK for good we will then start to put you forward for work..
mctraill is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:29 pm   #7
Wawa Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, but not for long, Inshallah
Posts: 248
Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeDubai View Post
Thanks for the responses...

I know that when I return I have to register with all the relevant agencies, my main concern is getting a job soon after I arrive. The sooner I can secure a permanent position, the sooner I can apply for a spouse visa.

On this note, it's a real fear and my husband is very anxious as he may or may not be given the visa. He was banned for 10 years for applying for a visit visa (which does not seem to be that uncommon, a colleague's fiance has just had the same ban slapped on him and she simply wanted to take him home to Ireland to celebrate christmas with her and her family); and hubby is worried what will happen if we can't be reunited. Of course this is another topic altogether. I expect once I get settled back into a routine in London things will be ok, and yes, we will also connect via Skype daily; it will just be an anxious time for both of us and I know I won't be at peace til my husband is with me.

So, going back to my original post, should I start applying for work from here in Dubai for back home, or wait til I get back to the UK?

Thanks again and thoughts are with those going through some tough times.
To be honest, I would wait until I get home. No-one is going to be interested in you unless you are in town and can be interviewed. This has been my personal experience, anyway. I guess it may be beneficial to contact a recruiting firm and get a feel for the current situation and give them your CV and a timeline, but I believe they will tell you the same - you have to be there, on the spot.

Sounds as though things are not too bad for PA's in UK (I am one too, so was happy to read of your friend with 4 job offers in the space of a week ) - a useful website is www.secsinthecity.com, you can receive job alerts in your in-box on a daily basis.

I will also be applying for a settlement visa for my hubby, and I agree with osnaith, as far as I know you do not need to have had at least three months of work prior to applying.

Good luck - I lived in Abu Dhabi for 11 years, now in Canada and hopefully heading home in a few years. Cant wait.
__________________
Currently in Toronto, bound for home in a few years, taking home one husband and one Siamese... (and they both talk too much )

Last edited by Wawa; Jan 4th 2011 at 9:51 pm.
Wawa is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:34 pm   #8
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
ByeDubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnaith View Post
Hello

You dont need to be any amount of time working in the UK before your husband can apply for a spouse settlement visa. You only need to prove that you are a British citizen, you are both married, have suitable accomodation to arrive to in the UK (friends, family or rental etc)and your husband can be supported financially without recorse to public funds. You can use evidence of savings, investments in your name or his name or both or even use a sponsor ie family.
If you need more information dont hesitate to ask.
I am going through the same from Mexico with my Mexican wife.
Hello Osnaith

Thanks for the reply.

I have been following spouse visa threads on immigration boards and I was always under the impression that i had to be in a permanent position in the UK for a minimum of three months, showing this in salary slips. Has this 'law' changed?? Can I ask, where did you find this information?

If it's just a question of being able to support him without me working, i.e. using capital, how much does one need? I won't have a great amount to bring back with me to be honest, probably only about 10,000 pounds which I don't think the border agency would see as being enough... they even questioned the amount of money my husband had when he applied for a visit visa - he had more than plenty for a flight (and a letter from me that I would be sponsoring him).. so I don't want to risk going down this road although it would be great and easier for us both, but we simply couldn't bear to have them reject his spouse visa application.

Of course using this money I have enough to sustain me in accommodation and bills for about 6 months if I can't get work but that's about it.

Are you saying that we could wait for him to get a spouse visa granted and then move back together to the UK... this seems too easy to me.. . We just don't need any complications, just a successful visa and with immigration being really tough now, and past experience, they will refuse him for any minor detail they see fit! So we don't mind a tough road if it will help him get a visa.

Sorry to digress from my main topic
ByeDubai is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:41 pm   #9
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
ByeDubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawa View Post
To be honest, I would wait until I get home. No-one is going to be interested in you unless you are in town and can be interviewed. This has been my personal experience, anyway. I guess it may be beneficial to contact a recruiting firm and get a feel for the current situation and give them your CV and a timeline, but I believe they will tell you the same - you have to be there, on the spot.

Sounds as though things are not too bad for PA's in UK (I am one too, so was happy to read of your friend with 4 job offers in the space of a week ) - a useful website is www.secsinthecity.com, you can receive job alerts in your in-box on a daily basis.

I will also be applying for a settlement visa for my hubby, and I agree with osnaith, as far as I know you do not need to have had at least three weeks of work prior to applying.

Good luck - I lived in Abu Dhabi for 11 years, now in Canada and hopefully heading home in a few years. Cant wait.
Wawa, thanks also for your reply. I agree now that it will be best to wait til I get to UK. I know agencies will want to see me.

I do receive the secsinthecity emails so often take a look at the opportunities.

With the settlement visa, I'm now getting really confused. Sorry LOL, but I'm getting a bit brain frazzled because as I said, we're so terrified he will get rejected and we just want to to this application once and it be accepted. Where can I get the information from? I have been many times to the UK border agency website but this conflicts with info I have been told by immigration boards.

Good luck in getting home... a few years will soon pass and you'll once more be on blighty soil!
ByeDubai is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:36 am   #10
Wawa Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, but not for long, Inshallah
Posts: 248
Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeDubai View Post
With the settlement visa, I'm now getting really confused. Sorry LOL, but I'm getting a bit brain frazzled because as I said, we're so terrified he will get rejected and we just want to to this application once and it be accepted. Where can I get the information from? I have been many times to the UK border agency website but this conflicts with info I have been told by immigration boards.
You could do a search on this forum under spouse visa or settlement visa. Also search for previous posts by DDL, she is a US citizen and married a UKC and has posted a lot of interesting and helpful information over the last year with regard to her visa. Otherwise take a look at these links:

http://www.ukresident.com/forums/

http://www.marriagevisahelp.com/inde...rriage-visa-uk

there is a lot of information out there, best to start making a list it can be overwhelming. I am not looking forward to starting mine. If you do everything right, give more information rather than less and dont assume anything - I am sure you will fly through. I had a friend whose visa was thrown back on the grounds that they had asked for a colour passport copy and she sent in a black and white copy...so attention to detail is paramount.
__________________
Currently in Toronto, bound for home in a few years, taking home one husband and one Siamese... (and they both talk too much )
Wawa is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:17 pm   #11
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
osnaith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeDubai View Post
Hello Osnaith

Thanks for the reply.

I have been following spouse visa threads on immigration boards and I was always under the impression that i had to be in a permanent position in the UK for a minimum of three months, showing this in salary slips. Has this 'law' changed?? Can I ask, where did you find this information?

If it's just a question of being able to support him without me working, i.e. using capital, how much does one need? I won't have a great amount to bring back with me to be honest, probably only about 10,000 pounds which I don't think the border agency would see as being enough... they even questioned the amount of money my husband had when he applied for a visit visa - he had more than plenty for a flight (and a letter from me that I would be sponsoring him).. so I don't want to risk going down this road although it would be great and easier for us both, but we simply couldn't bear to have them reject his spouse visa application.

Of course using this money I have enough to sustain me in accommodation and bills for about 6 months if I can't get work but that's about it.

Are you saying that we could wait for him to get a spouse visa granted and then move back together to the UK... this seems too easy to me.. . We just don't need any complications, just a successful visa and with immigration being really tough now, and past experience, they will refuse him for any minor detail they see fit! So we don't mind a tough road if it will help him get a visa.

Sorry to digress from my main topic
Yes that is correct if you are able to show you will accomodation and able to support him once in the uk.

The best website i have used when applying is

http://www.ukresident.com/forums/

You can post questions to very helpfull experts for free and they get back to you very quickly.

Regarding your question about 10,000 pounds being enough, well im not sure as there is no set amount but if you can show that this is enough to live on for 6 months and that you or both of you have good prospects for getting work then i think it would be ok.

You can also see a lot of information at

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...ettlementguide
osnaith is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:34 pm   #12
Tr1boy 
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,020
Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
I have been following spouse visa threads on immigration boards and I was always under the impression that i had to be in a permanent position in the UK for a minimum of three months, showing this in salary slips. Has this 'law' changed?? Can I ask, where did you find this information?
The law was never changed because it was never a law.

All you need is to show you are married, have good prospects of being employed, can support yourselves and have somewhere to live that is suitable. (your hubby will need to have biometrics done)

You can absolutely enter the UK together if you wish. Mrs TB and I have applied and gotten a SV twice and neither of us had jobs either time. (we're quite the experts at Settlement Visas).

Relax, fill the forms, you'll be fine. However if you don't have much money it 'may' be prudent if you were to go on ahead and get a job, but that's just a suggestion.

Good luck
Tr1boy is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:09 pm   #13
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: EAST COAST USA
Posts: 24
2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1boy View Post
The law was never changed because it was never a law.

All you need is to show you are married, have good prospects of being employed, can support yourselves and have somewhere to live that is suitable. (your hubby will need to have biometrics done)

You can absolutely enter the UK together if you wish. Mrs TB and I have applied and gotten a SV twice and neither of us had jobs either time. (we're quite the experts at Settlement Visas).

Relax, fill the forms, you'll be fine. However if you don't have much money it 'may' be prudent if you were to go on ahead and get a job, but that's just a suggestion.

Good luck
Hi, I'd like to tap into your expertise on Settlement visas! I had a quick peek at the Border control info, which seemed to imply that the British Citizen (me) would have to be resident in the Uk before foreign spouse could join them. However, since I live in the US, my husband and I would want to return together. Also, even though he is the non-UK citizen, it is more likely that he would be the main breadwinner in the UK. I am a happy housewife now, so would I have to find a job myself in order to qualify to get us both in? We have savings, so I think we could prove that we wouldn't be lining up for benefits!
2passports is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:27 am   #14
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

When in 2009 did you go to Dubai? If it was after April 2009, take care with your date of returning to the UK, you need to for tax reasons.
__________________
Arrived Sydney 07.07.2010. First wild kangaroo sighted 06.03.2011. Citizenship granted 08.09.2014
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:00 pm   #15
Tr1boy 
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,020
Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK - first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2passports View Post
Hi, I'd like to tap into your expertise on Settlement visas! I had a quick peek at the Border control info, which seemed to imply that the British Citizen (me) would have to be resident in the Uk before foreign spouse could join them. However, since I live in the US, my husband and I would want to return together. Also, even though he is the non-UK citizen, it is more likely that he would be the main breadwinner in the UK. I am a happy housewife now, so would I have to find a job myself in order to qualify to get us both in? We have savings, so I think we could prove that we wouldn't be lining up for benefits!
aarhhg I wrote a huge reply and my connection crashed

I think the wording is a catch all and refers to people bringing in spouses from overseas who aren't living together and yes, they must be in the UK first.

If you are together overseas then unless things have changed you don't need to be in the UK first. We have arrived twice on SVs, once together in 06 and once separately last year. No problems either time.

When you apply put that you will arrive separately as it gives your OH the option of coming later (tie up loose end etc) and if you arrive together they don't care. However if you put you are arriving together on the application then you must arrive together.

Hope this helps and things might have changed in the last 12mths so double check. But under normal circumstances you don't need to be in the UK first.
Tr1boy is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Introduction / The Welcome Inn


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 5:00 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com