British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Another Newbe with hopes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/another-newbe-hopes-736789/)

ForestNew Oct 25th 2011 11:27 am

Another Newbe with hopes

Hi All

Been here in the Uk for too long and wishing to work abroad....... Where:confused:?????:thumbsup: anywhere ......... Can any reader advise? My background is a self employed Carpenter who has acted as a site manager...... but my love and enjoyment has to be working on the tools for now 34years without a day out.
Single guy who carries no luggage, But enjoys to travel:). Move me on expats please.

dmu Oct 25th 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Another Newbe with hopes

Originally Posted by ForestNew (Post 9694248)
Hi All

Been here in the Uk for too long and wishing to work abroad....... Where:confused:?????:thumbsup: anywhere ......... Can any reader advise? My background is a self employed Carpenter who has acted as a site manager...... but my love and enjoyment has to be working on the tools for now 34years without a day out.
Single guy who carries no luggage, But enjoys to travel:). Move me on expats please.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Do you speak any foreign languages? If not, then southern European countries aren't for you in the present economic crisis. Possibly the Netherlands or Scandinavia where they all speak English and where unemployment rates may be lower....
Otherwise the rest of the English-speaking world will come along with suggestions, particularly Visa requirements for each country.
Good luck!:)

Jerseygirl Oct 25th 2011 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by ForestNew (Post 9694248)
Hi All

Hi there...welcome to BE.

If you are British you are lucky as you can live and work in any European country without a visa. If this doesn't appeal to you I suggest you take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad forum and take a read through the threads in some of the forums. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...there's loads of information in there.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

For all other problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names are located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold font.

Before you post please read any 'sticky' threads or announcements that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. Good luck. :)

Rosemary Oct 25th 2011 5:18 pm

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

ForestNew Oct 25th 2011 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 9694292)
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Do you speak any foreign languages? If not, then southern European countries aren't for you in the present economic crisis. Possibly the Netherlands or Scandinavia where they all speak English and where unemployment rates may be lower....
Otherwise the rest of the English-speaking world will come along with suggestions, particularly Visa requirements for each country.
Good luck!:)

Thanks for your information dmu, Just what I require Direction:D.
Regards Forest

ForestNew Oct 25th 2011 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9694378)
Hi there...welcome to BE.

If you are British you are lucky as you can live and work in any European country without a visa. If this doesn't appeal to you I suggest you take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad forum and take a read through the threads in some of the forums. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...there's loads of information in there.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

For all other problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names are located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold font.

Before you post please read any 'sticky' threads or announcements that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. Good luck. :)

Jersey Girl, A great start on the site, full of help and advice. Glad to have joined...... tomorrow start to look in depth. Thank You Jersey Girl.

ForestNew Oct 25th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9694996)
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

More Thanks for the assistance being given on BE a great welcome. Thank You Rosemary.

BEVS Oct 25th 2011 9:33 pm

Hi there.

The New Forest :wub: I'm Bournemouth born and bred myself.

You may think to take a punt at trying to get a job offer in New Zealand. Carpenters are not in shortage here but if you have site management experience then you may well be able to find yourself something in our own Christchurch area which had the 2 major earthquakes. It would be an overseas experience.

Please note, it is a job offer first and then apply for a temporary work visa.

BEVS

Bob Oct 25th 2011 11:45 pm

Welcome to BE and good luck!

The US is out though on your qualifications....the rest of the EU is definitely worth considering, as there aren't any visa issues and plenty of the Scandinavian countries will be good for English, the Netherlands too, but don't know what the work situ is like, but probably not to bad.

bakedbean Oct 26th 2011 7:45 am

Hey... welcome to BE and all the best with your plans.

Boy, we sure could do with some decent carpenters here in Penang. The quality of workmanship is... ahem... rather iffy :( But I've no idea what the official work/visa situation would be.

BEVS' idea sounds good.

Anyways... happy planning :thumbsup: There's tons of info on this site.

ForestNew Oct 27th 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9695435)
Hi there.

The New Forest :wub: I'm Bournemouth born and bred myself.

You may think to take a punt at trying to get a job offer in New Zealand. Carpenters are not in shortage here but if you have site management experience then you may well be able to find yourself something in our own Christchurch area which had the 2 major earthquakes. It would be an overseas experience.

Please note, it is a job offer first and then apply for a temporary work visa.

BEVS

Bevs..... sounds of interest:D, concerned a little though! about ways worked in other countries such as New Zealand:confused:. Ive always followed the saying when in Rome....... so would love to be working out in NZ as a carpenter before asking about any managing role. My pleasure is to work:) and even the carpenters role I believe would differ from what I,m used to here in the UK.

Would find it a great to be in work in NZ, if the work was there I,d start ASAP. Could you offer me any contacts to enable myself on to hopfully a short ladder? I understand from your comments that carpenters are not in shortage but what a great experience to have had:thumbsup:.

What made you leave Bournemouth then Bevs to the other side of this world?

ForestNew Oct 27th 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9695623)
Welcome to BE and good luck!

The US is out though on your qualifications....the rest of the EU is definitely worth considering, as there aren't any visa issues and plenty of the Scandinavian countries will be good for English, the Netherlands too, but don't know what the work situ is like, but probably not to bad.

Cheers for the imput bob......... Could not believe the amount of carpentry roles there are in the US, Heard of one role as making pallets........... full time amazing.

ForestNew Oct 27th 2011 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9696193)
Hey... welcome to BE and all the best with your plans.

Boy, we sure could do with some decent carpenters here in Penang. The quality of workmanship is... ahem... rather iffy :( But I've no idea what the official work/visa situation would be.

BEVS' idea sounds good.

Anyways... happy planning :thumbsup: There's tons of info on this site.

Working off their scaffolding would make my work rather iffy:eek: Only joking.

Jerseygirl Oct 27th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ForestNew (Post 9699873)
Bevs..... sounds of interest:D, concerned a little though! about ways worked in other countries such as New Zealand:confused:. Ive always followed the saying when in Rome....... so would love to be working out in NZ as a carpenter before asking about any managing role. My pleasure is to work:) and even the carpenters role I believe would differ from what I,m used to here in the UK.

Would find it a great to be in work in NZ, if the work was there I,d start ASAP. Could you offer me any contacts to enable myself on to hopfully a short ladder? I understand from your comments that carpenters are not in shortage but what a great experience to have had:thumbsup:.

What made you leave Bournemouth then Bevs to the other side of this world?

Here is the link to the New Zealand Forums...just in case you want to have a gander around. ;)

Bob Oct 27th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ForestNew (Post 9699893)
Cheers for the imput bob......... Could not believe the amount of carpentry roles there are in the US, Heard of one role as making pallets........... full time amazing.

Oh, yeah, there are plenty of jobs here, but no chance of getting a visa for it unfortunately as they don't have a skills based system like other countries, Oz/Kiwi/Canada etc.

There's really good money if you can do old school carving, wooden doors especially, for folks down on the Cape area of MA.

Good luck though!