Another!

Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Ninae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another!

Yeah, I just movie referenced.

I was born in Scotland, and I moved with my parents, younger sister and two younger brothers to the States when I was 13... and have been plotting my return ever since.

Well, nearly 10 years later I'm still in the States. I'm getting married and while I love him a lot, I'm starting to feel trapped here. Maybe it's silly. There are more opportunities here, and maybe I should just be grateful for what I have, but it's hard to let go after so long. Maybe I was too old to rewrite my definition of home, and too young to move on in time. Now I seem stuck in some kind of limbo and every time I try to let go of the past and fit in here I feel like a live snake is falling though my entire body.

Anyway, I work in security, my passion is for crafts and writing. I enjoy some cosplay and steampunk. I love irony, sarcasm, and all your basic dry, witty humour. I don't subscribe to political correctness most of the time, though I do value some diplomacy. I call myself a moderate as far as politics go; basically meaning liberals think I'm conservative and conservatives think I'm liberal. I honestly don't lean either way and I take everything with a pile of salt nowadays. I was raised Mormon, but became tired of being told how to live my life. I refuse to bash on any group generally if I can help it (except stupid people whose opinions outweigh their knowledge and/or common sense).

Personality-wise, if you're interested in that, I'm INFJ-T, enneagram 4, and blue-red.

Looking forward to talking and learning with you!
Old Jun 7th 2017, 7:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another!

Hi Ninae, welcome to BE and thanks for telling us a bit about yourself

Many expats have similar feelings to those you describe - feeling trapped, feeling like you don't fit in. While there's no definitive solution to feeling this way, it may help you to chat with other expats who've had (or have!) similar feelings - either on our US forum USA - British Expats or our Moving Back to the UK forum Moving back to the UK - British Expats

I must admit, it's a little concerning that you're about to marry (I'm assuming to a US citizen) while being unsure about your future in the US - I only mention this because if you have children and decide in the future that you want to live in the UK, it can become very complicated if the non-UK parent doesn't want to move, and won't allow the children to migrate with you. Just some food for thought.

When you get a minute could you please have a read of the BE site rules, and if you run into any site related problems you can contact one of our friendly moderators - their names are in bold font at the bottom of each forum index page.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums
Old Jun 7th 2017, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Ninae is an unknown quantity at this point

We've talked about it and he's open to moving back, or at least seeing what it's like. He understands my logic in feeling that a British education will open more doors as American universities accept brittish high school better than the other way around, thereby giving them the opportunity to live comfortably in the country of their choosing. I thought about this a lot growing up.

His biggest concern is the political climate. He wants to wait until he knows which country he's moving to and working on citizenship with, and until he's earned a degree, which I am wholeheartedly supportive of.

I worry about him feeling comfortable over there though. My mum is American and I remember getting a lot of ribbing for it, and my weird accent. I hope that any children we have will be able to drop any American accent at least decently (i was stubborn in the extreme), but, while I know adults are less likely to be openly cruel, I remember my mum struggling to fit in too. I don't know what to attitude is like towards Americans now. I know things like that can change, and most of it is dependent on the person.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ninae

As this is the welcome inn, I'm not going to comment on your post. Spouse has given you the links to two good forums that you might wish to visit to air your frustrations, hopes and dreams. I've seen your thoughts echoed many times over the years.

Best of luck to you in the future and a long and happy life wherever you choose to make your home.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary