British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   American with Half-Brit Toddler (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/american-half-brit-toddler-730909/)

kelleySnelly Sep 2nd 2011 6:28 pm

American with Half-Brit Toddler

Hello! I am new to this so be patient with me :D
I am 25, with a two year old daughter. My Fiance is currently awaiting deportation back to England and is pretty much being forced back to a country he left when he was only 9 years old! But ANYway, I am exploring my options, not sure what to do.
Im definately going to be getting us passports asap, and was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful advice?
Im not sure of HIS legal right to marry while still in ICE custody, but it had crossed my mind to get married BEFORE he was shipped off. I also considered coming to the UK on a student VISA since I know the welfare laws would prevent us from getting married until he could completely support us once he got there.
Im excited to be moving to a foreign country! but its so scarey too! especially with my little girl!
Thanks for reading! hit me back!:thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Sep 2nd 2011 6:48 pm

Re: American with Half-Brit Toddler

Originally Posted by kelleySnelly (Post 9596895)
I am 25, with a two year old daughter. My Fiance is currently awaiting deportation back to England and is pretty much being forced back to a country he left when he was only 9 years old! But ANYway, I am exploring my options, not sure what to do.
Im definately going to be getting us passports asap, and was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful advice?
Im not sure of HIS legal right to marry while still in ICE custody, but it had crossed my mind to get married BEFORE he was shipped off. I also considered coming to the UK on a student VISA since I know the welfare laws would prevent us from getting married until he could completely support us once he got there.
Im excited to be moving to a foreign country! but its so scarey too! especially with my little girl!

Hello and welcome to the site.

I'm sorry to hear of you and your fiance's predicament. I suggest you post your questions regarding US immigration in the US Marriage Based Visa forum...our members who post in that forum will help you out with your questions. Before you begin posting please read through the stickied threads that are posted at the top of the forum's index page.

Questions about moving to the UK can be posted in Moving Back To The UK Forum. Also check out UKYankee.com...that website is specially for Americans moving to living in the UK.

Good luck and if you require any further help with anything around the forums please give me a shout.

Rosemary Sep 3rd 2011 7:03 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

Bob Sep 3rd 2011 2:48 pm

Welcome to BE and good luck sorting yourselves out!

The immigration side of this site is a great resource, but I think with a deportation case, that goes beyond what lay folks can help you with and you guys really need the help of an experienced family based immigration lawyer who can go over all your details to really help you out :)

dreadsoc Sep 4th 2011 7:53 am

Hi Kelley

What an awful predicament you and your fiance find yourselves in, especially when you have a child together - I soemtimes despair of laws which don't apply common sense.
I would definitely advise you to go onto the US marriage forum and the general USA forum where I am sure there are some good folks who will be only to willing to help you with advice.
One thing which may assist you to get to the UK is that we have a Human Rights act which has an article expressing the right to family life - that may well asist you in getting here as you and your fiance have a child together.

In the meantime welcome to BE and all the best for an early resolution to your dilemma

Dread - x

Christian Sep 5th 2011 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by kelleySnelly (Post 9596895)

Hello Kelley,

And welcome to B.E. I see Jerseygirl has given you some pertinent links and forums for assistance. I wish you well in your present situation, and hopefully a brighter future, regardless of which side of the Atlantic you wind up living on.

With every good wish,
Christian :)

kelleySnelly Sep 12th 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9598318)
Welcome to BE and good luck sorting yourselves out!

The immigration side of this site is a great resource, but I think with a deportation case, that goes beyond what lay folks can help you with and you guys really need the help of an experienced family based immigration lawyer who can go over all your details to really help you out :)

thank you for all your well wishes! and yes we have been recruiting to help of certain non profit groups in the UK already. Still trying to decide if I want to rush up to PA before he is officially deported and try to marry him before he leaves permenantly. GOSH this is such a mind numbing process! on top of being in college for the first time in 7 years! my head may explode!:blink:

kelleySnelly Jan 11th 2012 7:05 am

Does anyone here volunteer at the crisis center in London by chance?