Reload this Page >

Almost 50 and looking to relax for a while near the sun

Almost 50 and looking to relax for a while near the sun

Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Montys Pass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almost 50 and looking to relax for a while near the sun

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris from the United Kingdom and I`m not too far off the big 50! Having just been made redundant i am looking to up sticks to any where nice and warm where i can relax for 5 - 10 years.
Where ever i end up i must be able to run my small internet based business which i expect will leave me with a annual salary of £7500 - £11000 .

Obviously it`s not a massive weekly amount to live on but being single i dont expect to live lavishly just a chance to chill out and experience some nice people and weather.

If anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:17 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 50 and looking to relax for a while near the sun

Originally Posted by Montys Pass
Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris from the United Kingdom and I`m not too far off the big 50! Having just been made redundant i am looking to up sticks to any where nice and warm where i can relax for 5 - 10 years.
Where ever i end up i must be able to run my small internet based business which i expect will leave me with a annual salary of £7500 - £11000 .

Obviously it`s not a massive weekly amount to live on but being single i dont expect to live lavishly just a chance to chill out and experience some nice people and weather.

Thanks
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

There are many popular destinations. Canada, the USA, Australia and New Zealand have fairly rigorous immigration hoops to jump through. And they aren't exactly cheap either.

You can live in any EU country but if the news is to be believed, Spain, France, Italy and Greece aren't the cheap, stable economies that they used to be.

Not trying to be negative believe it or not. They are the only countries that I have any experience of. Maybe the Caribbean?

Have a look at all the different countries that we have listed in our discussion forum and see what's what.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

There are many popular destinations. Canada, the USA, Australia and New Zealand have fairly rigorous immigration hoops to jump through. And they aren't exactly cheap either.

You can live in any EU country but if the news is to be believed, Spain, France, Italy and Greece aren't the cheap, stable economies that they used to be.

Not trying to be negative believe it or not. They are the only countries that I have any experience of. Maybe the Caribbean?

Have a look at all the different countries that we have listed in our discussion forum and see what's what.

Enjoy B.E.
Thanks SH,

Perhaps the Caribbean ain`t too bad (lol) or some of the countries in Asia maybe.

Chris
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Montys and a warm welcome to the forum.

There's a lot of Asian countries you could consider. At 50 you can consider some "retirement" visas. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be retired, but just gets you on a stable visa.

I think 50 will get you the Thai retirement visa and that is an easy one to get. Doesn't need too much dosh to put down. Thailand a very cheap country to live in.

Philippines is another one. Quite easy visa I believe.

Malaysia also has a retirement visa, but a bit more difficult to get. You can check out in the Malaysia forum though if you like.

Just a few options. I'm sure there are many more. Happy planning
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Montys and a warm welcome to the forum.

There's a lot of Asian countries you could consider. At 50 you can consider some "retirement" visas. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be retired, but just gets you on a stable visa.

I think 50 will get you the Thai retirement visa and that is an easy one to get. Doesn't need too much dosh to put down. Thailand a very cheap country to live in.

Philippines is another one. Quite easy visa I believe.

Malaysia also has a retirement visa, but a bit more difficult to get. You can check out in the Malaysia forum though if you like.

Just a few options. I'm sure there are many more. Happy planning
Thanks baked bean. For someone who has n`t travelled abroad for over 25 years apart from a visit to Rhodes some 15 years ago i think it certainly will take some planning!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy B.E.
Unless the OP is an USC or married to one...I think he can cross the US off his list as it's one of the most difficult countries to move to.

Welcome to BE Montys Pass.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

You can indeed believe the news. The OP's highest estimated annual income would be about the official Poverty level in France for a single person. I.e. the basic minimum to survive, with no treats whatsoever, no free healthcare until official retirement. Nice weather not guaranteed either, even in the south.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
You can indeed believe the news. The OP's highest estimated annual income would be about the official Poverty level in France for a single person. I.e. the basic minimum to survive, with no treats whatsoever, no free healthcare until official retirement. Nice weather not guaranteed either, even in the south.
Thanks.

Well your post definitely puts a different perspective on things. Perhaps two/three years would be the best i could hope for in Euroland
Old Jan 15th 2013, 2:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Well your post definitely puts a different perspective on things. Perhaps two/three years would be the best i could hope for in Euroland
Another aspect is that you'd have to take residency after a few months, have to set up a French business structure and be taxable in France (on world-wide income). I believe this would apply in all EU countries if you're working. Come onto the Europe forum if you want further info.
Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but I'm being realistic.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Another aspect is that you'd have to take residency after a few months, have to set up a French business structure and be taxable in France (on world-wide income). I believe this would apply in all EU countries if you're working. Come onto the Europe forum if you want further info.
Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but I'm being realistic.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Looks like my future lies outside the euro zone on my salary. While i don`t require a lot, a clean tidy apartment as like to cook for myself eating out won`t be a problem. All that said i don`t wont to end up destitute perhaps old blighty is not that bad after reflection.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Despite the hype if you have your own income unrelated to the Greek economy I'm sure you could find a cheap place to rent and do just fine! Go for a village outside a town on the mainland (islands are expensive and limit your movement). Plenty of brits have homes and live at least part time in Greece.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Caryatid
Despite the hype if you have your own income unrelated to the Greek economy I'm sure you could find a cheap place to rent and do just fine! Go for a village outside a town on the mainland (islands are expensive and limit your movement). Plenty of brits have homes and live at least part time in Greece.
Thanks i was beginning to think that only the well off could afford to retire/live abroad
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary