Reload this Page >

Advice from those who have done it

Advice from those who have done it

Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

LJBarl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice from those who have done it

Hi all

Me and my husband are thinking of emigrating, either US or Canada. He is currently employed with Greater Manchester Police. Does anyone out there have any advice on where to start?

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from those who have done it

Originally Posted by LJBarl
Hi all

Me and my husband are thinking of emigrating, either US or Canada. He is currently employed with Greater Manchester Police. Does anyone out there have any advice on where to start?

Thanks
Hi there and welcome to BE.

The US is a very difficult country to move to unless you are an American citizen. Most US states...if not all...require police officers to be USCs...some will accept Green Card holders. Take a read through this...if you can fit into any of the categories you may have a chance of living and working in the US. Sometimes US and UK police 'trade' officers...I remember sitting next to a woman officer at the US Embassy in London who was transferring to the US for a while. Perhaps this is something your husband could look into. Here is the link to BE's US forums.

It is easier to move to Canada...do you have a preference of which province you would like to move to? I recommend you repost in our Canada forums. The link I have given you will take you directly to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions.

Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Good luck...if you require help with anything please shout out...there is usually a mod or admin around 24/7.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 21st 2011 at 5:25 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

LJBarl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all that, didn't expect to get a reply so quick!!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:25 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJBarl
Thanks for all that, didn't expect to get a reply so quick!!
Quick Draw McGraw...that's me.

I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community of British Expats.