Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Advice for a 21 year old?

Advice for a 21 year old?

Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a 21 year old?

Originally Posted by Rubeus Hagrid
Well, a family member advices me to pay a visit to this charity that helps you get an apprenticeship. Is is a good step towards learning a trade, and becoming employable abroad? Thanks.

I don't understand a single thing about school, not a single thing. I'm pretty sure it costs thousands upon thousands of pounds, only posh kids or Americans can really afford these things.
When you say school, do you mean high school / GCSE / A-Levels, or do you mean college/university?

How much school did you complete?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:36 pm
Banned

Rubeus Hagrid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My niece got herself an apprenticeship at 16, straight out of school, worked hard, ended up with an NVQ 3 and a permanent full time job within 2 years and got paid a wage while she was doing it
That sounds excellent, it really does. I'm honestly determined to get into work. But is this charity a scam? I'm honestly a stone cold Virgin in every aspect of life. I don't know much about these things.

An apprenticeship can only lead to a skilled trade, and thus an opportunity to move right?

SCHNOOKOO: I left before I did any GCSE's. I have basically, no education.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:45 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

So from what I've read, completing GCSEs does not cost thousands of pounds and is not just for posh kids and Americans.

Did you read the link I posted further up the thread? Someone there was advised to contact the AQA and inquire about registering for GCSEs as an independent student. There is probably some night school and such you'd have to take. Usually adult education or continuing education to complete your high school is either free or comes at a small fee, but certainly not thousands and thousands.

Otherwise, look into charities and apprenticeship programs. If you are concerned about any of it being a scam, just google the program name and "reviews" and you'll see tons of people posting if it's not legit. Do your research.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about a charity, she just used a government website, probably this one .
If you are aiming for a skill that would help you to migrate in the future, look at the sites for the Immigration Departments of (for example) the Canadian and Australian governments and read the forums on here, see which skills are always in demand and then look to study in those.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:48 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
So from what I've read, completing GCSEs does not cost thousands of pounds and is not just for posh kids and Americans.
Course its not....the UK has loads of further education colleges, and depending on the local authority rules the OP may even be able to study at a sixth form college for GCSEs.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:58 pm
Banned

Course its not....the UK has loads of further education colleges, and depending on the local authority rules the OP may even be able to study at a sixth form college for GCSEs.
This is all very new for me. I've been at home for years because I've felt extremely lower class and inferior. I didn't think that people like me were allowed to get a good education.

I hate to insult the people's intelligence here, but I'm almost certain that any kind of education for me would cost an obscene amount of money.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:01 pm
Concierge

This is all very new for me. I've been at home for years because I've felt extremely lower class and inferior. I didn't think that people like me were allowed to get a good education.

I hate to insult the people's intelligence here, but I'm almost certain that any kind of education for me would cost an obscene amount of money.
Have you asked? Call up the AQA or any of the sixth forms in your area and just ask them. Say you are 21, you dropped out when you were however old, and you want to complete your GCSEs, and what do you have to do to do that, and what will it cost. The vast majority of places offer continuing education or high school equivalency courses for adults who did not complete high school, and it does NOT cost thousands of pounds to do it.

Education in many countries, including the UK, is open to everyone. You do need to make things happen for yourself. Call them up and see what they have to say about continuing your education and completing high school.

And everyone here is telling you that it will NOT cost you an obscene amount of money, at least not for high school equivalency. If we were talking about university then yes, you're looking at a bigger price tag, but we are NOT talking about that. Not a single person here has said it's going to cost you thousands, in fact it should be either free or close to it.

Call up the school and just ask. You can pretty much be guaranteed that you are not the first, nor the last, person to make such a request.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Have you asked? Call up the AQA or any of the sixth forms in your area and just ask them. Say you are 21, you dropped out when you were however old, and you want to complete your GCSEs, and what do you have to do to do that, and what will it cost. The vast majority of places offer continuing education or high school equivalency courses for adults who did not complete high school, and it does NOT cost thousands of pounds to do it.

Education in many countries, including the UK, is open to everyone. You do need to make things happen for yourself. Call them up and see what they have to say about continuing your education and completing high school.

And everyone here is telling you that it will NOT cost you an obscene amount of money, at least not for high school equivalency. If we were talking about university then yes, you're looking at a bigger price tag, but we are NOT talking about that. Not a single person here has said it's going to cost you thousands, in fact it should be either free or close to it.

Call up the school and just ask. You can pretty much be guaranteed that you are not the first, nor the last, person to make such a request.
I was told by my mother that sixth form is for under 17's, and that college would cost thousands of pounds. My local sixth form is for under 17's.

I honestly do believe that only posh kids and Americans can go to school at my age.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

There are government schemes to help you get further education or courses that will start you in employment. You will find that information at your local job centre which is the best place to look because it will be linked to your entitlements as an unemployed person. They can give you all the information. Schooling does not cost thousands for the level of qualifications you are seeking.

"I left before I did any GCSE's. I have basically, no education."

That's not NO EDUCATION, that's just an incomplete education, no more and no less.

Last edited by calman014; Dec 30th 2014 at 4:16 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by my mother that sixth form is for under 17's, and that college would cost thousands of pounds. My local sixth form is for under 17's.

I honestly do believe that only posh kids and Americans can go to school at my age.
Well then you may as well give up now. Right?

Honestly, if you want to do something then do it! What do you want people here to do for you if you won't take any initiative on your own? You have been told that an education should not cost an obscene amount of money and that all you have to do is ring your local college.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by calman014
There are government schemes to help you get further education or courses that will start you in employment. You will find that information at your local job centre which is the best place to look because it will be linked to your entitlements as an unemployed person. They can give you all the information. Schooling does not cost thousands for the level of qualifications you are seeking.
I went to the job centre, they sent me home and told me that it was "all done online". I phoned them up when I got home, and they told me the same thing.

Maybe my area is just really off?

DOROTHY: Thank you for the kindwords of encouragement. I did go to the local college when I was 18, they told me that it would cost four thousand pounds for a year. I was extremely discouraged after that, and sat at home for years.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to go elsewhere for advice, try your local job centre or citizens advice bureau. The inaccurate assumptions of your family are not going to help you move on or even motivate you.

What did you actually do when you got home? Did you visit the site and fill in your details or just phone them up?

What area of UK are you in?

Am I right in assuming "working behind a till" means working for the family business?..

Maybe you are not aware that the college fee would actually be paid for you by the government under certain circumstances... you really need to get to work and do some research.

Just running off abroad doesn't solve the problem, the motivation has to come from you if you want to do something with your life.

Last edited by calman014; Dec 30th 2014 at 4:26 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:35 pm
Home and Happy

Have you read the link I posted?
eg

Training providers deliver traineeships, which are funded by the government, with employers providing the valuable work experience placement and interview as part of the programme.

You can apply for an apprenticeship if you’re:

16 or over
eligible to work in England
not in full-time education

As I said earlier, my niece recently completed an apprenticeship and is set with a good basis for a career for life. She will freely admit she hated school and was failing badly, then she heard about apprenticeships, struggled to the end of her school life and from then on she has not looked back.
She has friends who have done the same, and a couple who have sat back and said 'naaa too difficult' - those are now sat at home doing nothing with no money or future.
My niece did it all herself and we were all amazed. She spent hours online applying for apprenticeships and jobs, She taught herself interview skils and CV writing skills. She pounded the roads in city centres looking for jobs, walking into shops and cafes and begging for work till she could get the apprenticeship she was aiming for. And she now has the money to take her parents on holiday, the money to treat her ancient aunty to trips to London and Premier League football games, she has a car, a full licence and her own very spoilt puppy. All within 2 years.
She did it herself. Got off her butt and achieved what she initially thought - and you are thinking - was impossible.

If you really believe only rich kids and Americans can get education, training and jobs in the UK you are either naive, not very up on the resources of Google, or a troll............
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:48 pm
Banned

Have you read the link I posted?
eg

Training providers deliver traineeships, which are funded by the government, with employers providing the valuable work experience placement and interview as part of the programme.

You can apply for an apprenticeship if you’re:

16 or over
eligible to work in England
not in full-time education

As I said earlier, my niece recently completed an apprenticeship and is set with a good basis for a career for life. She will freely admit she hated school and was failing badly, then she heard about apprenticeships, struggled to the end of her school life and from then on she has not looked back.
She has friends who have done the same, and a couple who have sat back and said 'naaa too difficult' - those are now sat at home doing nothing with no money or future.
My niece did it all herself and we were all amazed. She spent hours online applying for apprenticeships and jobs, She taught herself interview skils and CV writing skills. She pounded the roads in city centres looking for jobs, walking into shops and cafes and begging for work till she could get the apprenticeship she was aiming for. And she now has the money to take her parents on holiday, the money to treat her ancient aunty to trips to London and Premier League football games, she has a car, a full licence and her own very spoilt puppy. All within 2 years.
She did it herself. Got off her butt and achieved what she initially thought - and you are thinking - was impossible.

If you really believe only rich kids and Americans can get education, training and jobs in the UK you are either naive, not very up on the resources of Google, or a troll............
But where do I start? I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this to me, but I don't know where to begin? Others than to go the this charity my family member described.

Working behind a till means working in a corner shop.

If this can be done so easily, why do I see 67 year old women working in ASDA?

I want to work hard, I wants achieve my goals and get out of Britain. But I haven't got a bloody clue as to where to start.

Thanks for all the advice, but I'm still clueless.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

"Troll".. Hagrid.....Hmmmmm... ;-P

All the clues you will ever need are in the previous posts..

Come back when you've followed the advice and inform us of your progress.

Last edited by calman014; Dec 30th 2014 at 4:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.