Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Advice for a 21 year old?

Advice for a 21 year old?

Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:06 am
Banned

Rubeus Hagrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a 21 year old?

Greetings. I'm a young man who has never done a days work his life, and never finished his education. I am now in a position where I cannot study, and I cannot find honest work, I have no exams.

How do I move? How do I learn a skilled trade? Can I move to other European countries with ease? I want to get out of Britain. How do I best go about doing this?

For instance, if the only way to move to Australia is to learn a trade, how do I learn a trade?

Thank you.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a 21 year old?

You can always study and educate yourself or take up further education. You obviously have access to the web. That's the most powerful tool available to anyone, besides your own imagination.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by calman014
You can always study and educate yourself or take up further education. You obviously have access to the web. That's the most powerful tool available to anyone, besides your own imagination.
I cant go to school, it costs thousands upon thousands of pounds. Australia and Canada have very strict rules, and I'm going to need an awful lot of help if I'm to move further on down the line.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Going to "school" should not cost very much at all, if anything. There are plenty of schemes for further education in the UK..especially if you are unemployed.

TCHC | Business Advice and Training - TCHC | Training Courses for Unemployed

That's just a sample.

Try typing into Google:

schemes for training of unemployed..
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by calman014
Going to "school" should not cost very much at all, if anything. There are plenty of schemes for further education in the UK..especially if you are unemployed.

TCHC | Business Advice and Training - TCHC | Training Courses for Unemployed

That's just a sample.

Try typing into Google:

schemes for training of unemployed..
Why then, when I ask my family about such things, they have absolutely no idea? Also, I wants to look ahead for the long run. Working behind a till, for instance, isn't going to get me overseas.

Why did you put "school" in quotation marks?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:01 pm
Banned

I did type a reply to your last post, but for whatever reason it didn't authenticate.

EDIT: I never knew that it was so easy to go outside. Whenever I ask my family about work, they act clueless. Also, I want to look to the long run. I'm not going to get overseas working behind a till. So how do I work towards moving overseas?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:02 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

and good advice calmon014.

Welcome to the forum Rubeus. Money is not everything in this life but, without it, you cannot do very much, so you'd better get working and learn some skills. You are still very young though you may not think it.

If you want to be an expat, that will require you to travel.....and travel costs some dosh too.

Over to you.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:21 pm
Banned

Thanks for the welcome.

It's all about money? I agree, however I refer you to my initial point that basically said that lower skilled jobs aren't wanted/needed in the new world. So surely in addition to having money and experience, it's about having a job that is in high demand?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:38 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about that. Different countries have different criteria though these days it is getting more difficult with visas generally speaking.

I think Canada and Aus used to attract the "lower skilled" workers but I have no idea if that is the case now. You will need to look in both the Aus and Canada sections to find out. I am not there, as you can see.

FWIW most folks start at the bottom of the rung and work their way up within a company. Or if you have some bright ideas, learn some skills and start your own business. Not for the faint hearted and you need determination, lots of working hours and some money (you may need to borrow).

Anyway, some food for thought. Have a browse around the forum. Maybe you'll come up with some ideas. All the best.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubeus Hagrid
I did type a reply to your last post, but for whatever reason it didn't authenticate.

EDIT: I never knew that it was so easy to go outside. Whenever I ask my family about work, they act clueless. Also, I want to look to the long run. I'm not going to get overseas working behind a till. So how do I work towards moving overseas?
It was in the queue to be approved as it contained a link, and you are a new member - its an anti-spam device
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Canada and Aus are focusing way more on skilled trades these days, lower-skilled jobs will certainly be difficult to move with.

One thing to keep in mind is that as a Brit you have right to live and work anywhere in the EU on your British passport, so the entire EU is open to you without any extra work visas, you just need your passport.

You could move to whatever city and try to get a job working at a bar or as a cashier or the like... but really, you probably do need to learn a trade.

I just googled "finish GCSE as an adult"... I found this thread from two years ago that sounds like it might have some useful information for you - Re-doing a Maths GCSE as an adult - Advice - Digital Spy Forums .

My gut feel is that you have to get yourself at least SOME work experience... even if it's just in a restaurant or at a store. You need to start somewhere. Employers need to have a reason to hire you, particularly overseas. At only 21 you shouldn't have much trouble finding a job in the service industry, so at least you have SOMETHING.

As others have said, it will cost you money to move overseas, even to move within Europe. You need to pay for your transport to get there. You need to pay rent, which will also include a security deposit. You need to eat. You need to pay bills. A lot of money will be required up front for a lot of that. My move from Canada to the UK 6 years ago cost me a few thousand CAD... plane ticket, security deposit for my flat, security deposit for my mobile phone, first months' bills in my flat, shipping an additional suitcase full of stuff, etc. I did move with a great job but the setup fees certainly added up.

Good luck.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

SCHOOL is in quotation marks because you are 21. Either you can apply for further education, some kind of training scheme or sponsored employment programme. These won't cost you "thousands". It doesn't stop you from improving your academic qualifications sometime in the future if you want to have formal qualifications behind you.

Moving somewhere in EU is certainly not advised in your situation...you will be in a much worse position than you are in the UK.

Last edited by calman014; Dec 30th 2014 at 2:56 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wink Re: Advice for a 21 year old?

If family members don't give you good advice then you are simply asking the wrong people. Wherever you go you will need at the very least some type of work experience behind you, and preferably some line of qualifications.

You obviously have English skills and can use a PC. Start there..

Working behind a till won't be a great motivator, but it will pay the bread and butter while you follow some other studies or night school..
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:22 pm
Banned

Well, a family member advices me to pay a visit to this charity that helps you get an apprenticeship. Is is a good step towards learning a trade, and becoming employable abroad? Thanks.

I don't understand a single thing about school, not a single thing. I'm pretty sure it costs thousands upon thousands of pounds, only posh kids or Americans can really afford these things.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a family member advices me to pay a visit to this charity that helps you get an apprenticeship. Is is a good step towards learning a trade, and becoming employable abroad? Thanks.

I don't understand a single thing about school, not a single thing. I'm pretty sure it costs thousands upon thousands of pounds, only posh kids or Americans can really afford these things.
My niece got herself an apprenticeship at 16, straight out of school, worked hard, ended up with an NVQ 3 and a permanent full time job within 2 years and got paid a wage while she was doing it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.