Reload this Page >

47 year Divorcee (Almost), looking to relocate to Reno, Nevada

47 year Divorcee (Almost), looking to relocate to Reno, Nevada

Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

SandyFox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 47 year Divorcee (Almost), looking to relocate to Reno, Nevada

Hi All,

I am looking to relocate to Reno, Nevada to be with my boyfriend/fiance. He's born and bred American citizen.

I'm not sure exactly when I will be able to go as I am currently going through a divorce. So it could be 3 months, could be 3 years.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice. How easy is it to get employment visa sponsorship? Are there any other potential visas that may be more suitable to apply for?

Although we plan to marry eventually, we don't want to do it out of necessity.

Also, I will have the divorce settlement, are there any pitfalls to look out for when transferring the money stateside?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 47 year Divorcee (Almost), looking to relocate to Reno, Nevada

Originally Posted by SandyFox
Hi All,

I am looking to relocate to Reno, Nevada to be with my boyfriend/fiance. He's born and bred American citizen.

I'm not sure exactly when I will be able to go as I am currently going through a divorce. So it could be 3 months, could be 3 years.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice. How easy is it to get employment visa sponsorship? Are there any other potential visas that may be more suitable to apply for?

Although we plan to marry eventually, we don't want to do it out of necessity.

Also, I will have the divorce settlement, are there any pitfalls to look out for when transferring the money stateside?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Simple answer is that employment based visas can be impossible, or easy, depending on various factors (although for most they're the former - the US is a tough country to get an employment based visa for).

But the best thing to do is post on the US immi section of the forum with details of your education & experience and the good folks there will be able to give you some advice on your chances.

They'll also be able to advise on marriage based visas if other options aren't likely.

HTH, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 9th 2018 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyFox
Thank you
You're welcome. The US forums are full of super helpful people so I'm sure you'll find some answers there.

Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Unless you can get a work visa in your own right, which is really tough, you're then left with marriage, so you'd have to marry this person which is not necessarily a quick process, but it certainly is the simplest.

Till then, enjoy the holidays.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you