Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Your experience with US schools vs. UK schools

Your experience with US schools vs. UK schools

Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your experience with US schools vs. UK schools

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember getting told off for wearing patent shoes. The deputy head said she could see my underwear in them.
dirty perve!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I volunteer in the media centre at my son's junior high, and it's fascinating at that age (12-14) to see the girl/ boy difference. The boys are COMPLETELY oblivious to any sense of fashion - they turn up in a mix of whatever was on the top of the piles in the closet regardless of colour or pattern; in their PE kit so they don't have to change if they happen to have PE first period (girls NEVER do this!); in holiday T shirts with slogans about Florida or New York on them, etc. The only thing I've noticed that seems to be in any way 'a look' is wearing long, almost knee-high socks with shorts (sportswear stuff rather than lederhosen hiker stuff). I'm obviously old, because to me this just looks stupid.

The girls are more cohesive, but unless I'm very label and quality blind, it all seems to be fairly run of the mill. Jeans or leggings - no girls are in shorts at this point (it's AZ with temps in the mid-70s, so perfectly realistic) - teamed with tops built up in layers. Normal trainers seem to be fine, or ballet slipper style shoes.

The only slightly Stepford thing is that ALL the girls have exactly the same hair style, that of wearing it long and dead straight, smoothed down on their head. Which is unfortunate, as my daughter's thick, wavy shoulder length mop really isn't going to comply with this. Oh well, she's 9... hopefully the look'll change before she gets there.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, it was a bit like that in the last town we lived in...and that was only just Kindergarten

They all look cloned around here.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
long, almost knee-high socks with shorts
My son used to do that. It's a Mexican look I think.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

I was very oblivious to fashion as an early teen as well. My wife might argue that this situation has persisted into my late thirties.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

So far I have not been very impressed with the UK school my kids attend -- it's very well regarded by people in the area, and Ofsted rate it as 'excellent' but I have yet to really see much evidence that it is much more than average. My daughter is 9 and still hasn't had a single bit of homework. Obviously I don't want her to be stressed and swamped, but I worry that she is not going to develop good working habits. Also, with class sizes of 30+, she doesn't get much individual attention and sort of drifts around in the middle of the class, as neither the best or the worst. I guess that happens in US schools too. We do some work with her at home to ensure she doesn't fall behind.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
My daughter is 9 and still hasn't had a single bit of homework. Obviously I don't want her to be stressed and swamped, but I worry that she is not going to develop good working habits.
I'm not sure I believe that homework for 9 year olds is a good idea, nor that the idea of getting habituated to working overtime for free is a good idea either....

Find out if the school actually HAS a gifted and talented programme. Many do, but some have ideological objections - move her if that's the case.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tip!