Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you a member of a "trusted traveler program"?

View Poll Results: Are you a member of a Trusted Traveler Program?
Yes, I'm a member of TSA pre-check
7.32%
Yes, I'm a member of Global Entry
34.15%
Yes, I'm a member of NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST
9.76%
Yes, I'm a member of a foreign TTP that lets me use TSA pre-check
0%
No.
48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a member of a "trusted traveler program"?

Old Feb 15th 2015, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a member of a "trusted traveler program"?

I am not. I don't travel often enough to justify being in any of them. I don't see any real benefit travelling only a couple times every few years by air, and less then 5-7 land crossings in a year and the border is never long and the Nexus line usually closed...lol

I can see their benefit if one travels a lot though.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the Global Entry program. Got it in 2009 and did the clearance interview at LAX. A few years back I registered with the airline mileage programs in the US (American, United) that Im a member of and automatically get the TSA pre check mark on my boarding pass when traveling with those airlines.

The Global Entry program, when I was traveling internationally frequently, was worth the entry cost ($200 IIRC). Bypass the Border check lines via the kiosks and fast track through customs. I still maintain it although I travel less frequently now and it's still worth it - particularly when entering the U.S. through LAX which is a nightmare at the best of times.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 2:33 am
Just Joined

ScotinUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Global entry is (or at least was when I renewed it) $100 for 5 years. Best money I ever spent when arriving in ATL and the customs line is out of the arrival hall!

I travel a lot for work and have Pre check - it isn't guaranteed for every flight but I think I have only not had it once in the last 2 years.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have Global Entry as we travel internationally a lot, and that program also gives you a TT # for TSA Pre-check. We recently flew out of LAX with our son. We went down the pre-check line, he went the usual way and he was waiting for us when we got through security. A lot of folks get pre-check these days.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:01 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The other one I've seen a few times is: Bitching and whining until the TSA guy puts them in the fast lane. Usually performed by men and women in expensive looking suits.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
I'm not a US citizen, and at the time they enrolled me, I wasn't even a permanent resident. Apparently though, that wasn't a mistake, and the United link you found is itself wrong.
Well that bit is definitely wrong, because you can get NEXUS without being a Canadian citizen and they still put you through the TSA pre-check line.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:25 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotinUS
Global entry is (or at least was when I renewed it) $100 for 5 years. Best money I ever spent when arriving in ATL and the customs line is out of the arrival hall!
NEXUS is only $50 - easily the best money I've ever spent. It just saves so much hassle. Lost count of the number of times it's saved me from some incredibly long wait.

Anyway I find it fascinating the poll seems to be coming out around 50/50 which is what I observed at the airport - this is so incredibly scientific of course.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:10 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not. Most of my travels are BOS-LHR (I do this once a month on average). I haven't had to queue for more than 5 minutes at immigration at either end for many, many months, so doesn't seem worth it.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Used NEXUS to enter the U.S. by air on my flight from the UK. No waiting in line at immigration...just used the hand or iris scanner. I'd declared approx $600 worth of goods but the customs officer didn't even want to see the customs form...told me I shouldn't have bothered filling it in.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:26 am
Just Joined

ryanintheworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I completely agree that Pre-Check may be allowed randomly. And to be (I think someone else alluded to this), sometimes you might get into the Pre-Check line for no obvious reason at all. I think I have sometimes been allowed into Pre-Check merely because I was/wasn't a certain demographic, because the regular security line was backed up, or because I was a premium traveller and they let all of us use without regard to the presence or absence of Pre-Check on our boarding pass. I hope that doesn't make you feel worse about flying in the US!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

For those that have Global Entry. Is the $100 fee a one off or do you have to renew at intervals.?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
For those that have Global Entry. Is the $100 fee a one off or do you have to renew at intervals.?
I got mine a year ago and the expiration date is another 5 years away, on my birthday, so I think 6 years.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I could see on their web site it mentioned renewal, but it didn't say how long it lasted or what renewal cost. Guess whatever the fee is when it's time to renew.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Thanks I could see on their web site it mentioned renewal, but it didn't say how long it lasted or what renewal cost. Guess whatever the fee is when it's time to renew.
I think so, we have a few years to see how we like it. Used it twice last year, flying back from Canada and then from Australia. On both occasions there wasn't much of a line at the regular immigration booths, but at less than $25/year plus the usually shorter lines of the TSA priority going through security we think that, so far, it is decent value. On a domestic trip last year we were traveling with our son and while we went through LA airport we went through the TSA priority line and he went through the regular line. He was stood around waiting for us at the other side.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
No you don't - sometimes they randomly send people through the rapid screening line. It's happened to me several times and I have read several others on BE say the same thing.
Happened to me one time last year. I'm not in the program. Apparently it is a random thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.