Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would I be happy in the UK?

Would I be happy in the UK?

Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I be happy in the UK?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Have you thought of moving to North Carolina?
Surely, you meant North Dakota.

All one needs is a pulse and you'll receive a signing on bonus and you'll be sure to get 40 hours and every county has a nurse to get you your meds.

Last edited by jeepster; Jun 6th 2015 at 5:48 am. Reason: for the heck of it
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Surely, you meant North Dakota. .....
I wish he did.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

mfarrington2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kins
To be honest, from what you've said I don't think you'd be particularly happy anywhere. From what you've said you seem to perceive the world as unfriendly and difficult to navigate, and I think you will continue to struggle wherever you live.

What is your disability?
Asperger syndrome and OCD, along with depression and a tic disorder. It makes working retail and food service jobs absolute hell, and unfortunately where I live just about every other line of work wants a degree.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfarrington2014
Asperger syndrome and OCD, along with depression and a tic disorder. It makes working retail and food service jobs absolute hell, and unfortunately where I live just about every other line of work wants a degree.
Ah I can see that would make life tough.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What line of work matches your skill set?
Old Jun 15th 2015, 5:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've read your post before, almost word for word. From the flaky friends to the hateful society to the elimination of benefits, I've seen the same comments made on another message board.

Hard Times in the UK

That's the 'Hard Times in the UK' message board for Americans living in the UK. The post wasn't about why they moved to the UK, but was rather why they didn't like living in the UK--the fake people they met, the harsh society that was extremely judgemental, the government cutting benefits. It's all there, and it *can* apply to the UK just as much as the US -- it just depends on your own situation.

The point I'm trying to make is that being an expat can be rough--very rough--and thinking that 'things will be better if only I was somewhere else' frequently isn't the right answer. Sure, you might find some better holidays or a better friend in a new place, but you might also (more than likely) find the same problems in another place that you are currently experiencing here.

I'm not about to say "don't move"--far from it. I am going to say "don't think moving is going to solve all the problems you have listed." You may come to find that moving is not the answer you hope it is.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

samiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nice

UK with be different and interesting. As an American you will stand out a little more as a Brit stands out over here. You may get some good nautred ribbing for politics and gun worship but Brits are usually frienddly and curious about life in USA.
Women may be more interested in you as again you are diffrent.
There are things I hate about UK and the USA, but overall I think I am better off here in USA for the time being.
If you ar enot happy where you are MOVE, if it is not better in UK then MOVE again.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

This is my experience as an American in the UK:

Costs of living in the UK vary from city to city (with London being the most expensive) as well as food and other things. Rent isnt cheap and buying is out of most peoples reach of theyre earning under £16K per year (or about $26,000) even where I live.

Most Brits are friendly, but not your friend - if that makes sense. Its about getting to know someone before theyre given the title of a "friend".

If you come over you have to pay a NHS surcharge on top of our visa fees for the first 5 years. Without any skills, you will find it hard to get here. Even going down the family route (marriage) the person sponsoring you needs to be earning at least £18,600 per year. This doesnt include their savings.

The benefits system that has helped and supported soo many people is being stripped away little by little. You think people hate those on benefits in the US, you aint seen nothing yet until you get here. Under any visa, you would not be eligible for any benefits until you have obtained Further Leave to Remain (2 years) This includes education and disability benefits.

Immigration is a hot topic.
People arent keen on newcomers coming in to take their jobs. You will be told constantly not to worry about the anti-immigration backlash against Americans, because we're "the good kind" At the same time, people also arent afraid to throw anti-American statements at you..

I wish you nothing but luck on your journey to where you need to be to get happy, but moving location doesnt always do it.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

mfarrington2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alternageek
This is my experience as an American in the UK:

Costs of living in the UK vary from city to city (with London being the most expensive) as well as food and other things. Rent isnt cheap and buying is out of most peoples reach of theyre earning under £16K per year (or about $26,000) even where I live.

Most Brits are friendly, but not your friend - if that makes sense. Its about getting to know someone before theyre given the title of a "friend".

If you come over you have to pay a NHS surcharge on top of our visa fees for the first 5 years. Without any skills, you will find it hard to get here. Even going down the family route (marriage) the person sponsoring you needs to be earning at least £18,600 per year. This doesnt include their savings.

The benefits system that has helped and supported soo many people is being stripped away little by little. You think people hate those on benefits in the US, you aint seen nothing yet until you get here. Under any visa, you would not be eligible for any benefits until you have obtained Further Leave to Remain (2 years) This includes education and disability benefits.

Immigration is a hot topic.
People arent keen on newcomers coming in to take their jobs. You will be told constantly not to worry about the anti-immigration backlash against Americans, because we're "the good kind" At the same time, people also arent afraid to throw anti-American statements at you..

I wish you nothing but luck on your journey to where you need to be to get happy, but moving location doesnt always do it.

Yikes. Should I just stay in America then, or is there a country you'd counter-propose? I do think Mexico sounds kind of cool, but the crime rate there is very high and I'm not particularly fond of the Spanish language, the grammar is insanely difficult. Maybe Eastern Europe?

There's really nowhere in the United States that is both friendly and progressive. It's either ignorant and conservative as hell, or liberal in a very arrogant and narrow sort of way. Even decent states like Minnesota, North Carolina and Wisconsin seem to be getting taken over by right-wing politics and unfriendly hipsters.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes. Should I just stay in America then, or is there a country you'd counter-propose? I do think Mexico sounds kind of cool, but the crime rate there is very high and I'm not particularly fond of the Spanish language, the grammar is insanely difficult. Maybe Eastern Europe?

There's really nowhere in the United States that is both friendly and progressive. It's either ignorant and conservative as hell, or liberal in a very arrogant and narrow sort of way. Even decent states like Minnesota, North Carolina and Wisconsin seem to be getting taken over by right-wing politics and unfriendly hipsters.
4 pages. 9/10 for trolling. right-wing politics and unfriendly hipsters is a great touch.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

And you've spent time working in every state in the union in order to come to an informed opinion?
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you've ignored everything you've been told and become a troll at the same time.

Either that or we've discovered the REAL reason you have difficulty making friends or even just relating to others!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

I'm going to answer this, honestly.
I do love living here in England, I really wouldnt want to be anywhere else in this world. The friends Ive made - theyre my family. What I posted have been the downside to my ten years here. Its not all rainbows and buttercups here. I dont want to tell you its a magical fairy tale either.

Before you jump ship to any country or even state, you need to really spend time there. Especially if youre going at it alone.

I'm originally from NY (Long Island) and found it very friendly. Not progressive, but it was nice. Its also stupidly expensive to live there. I lived in Philly as well, for two years, love it there. Ideally, if I were to return to anywhere, it would be Philadelphia.
Have you thought about Seattle/Tacoma areas of Washington? My sister lives there and loves it. Shes a huge ass hippy and has a small farm on her property, where allows them to live sustainably.

Mexico could be an option for you.
Mexico Immigration Guide visas, work, Temporary Resident, Permanent Resident, FM2, FM3, Mexican Citizenship

Though you would still need to qualify for the correct visas to be there.

Good luck on your journey.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And you've spent time working in every state in the union in order to come to an informed opinion?
I guess she has "read extensively" about NC The politics of NC are peculiar, to say the least, as it was probably the last state to be run by Dixiecrats. To suggest that the Republican take over of the legislature and governorship was a move to the right fails to understand the realities of who was running NC prior to 2008, because they bore little resemblance to the party whose name they used.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2015 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Boy..... are we still on this subject? As I said weeks ago you have nothing to qualify you to get a visa anywhere in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.