Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would I be happy in the UK?

Would I be happy in the UK?

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I be happy in the UK?

The OPs description of Oregon is not where I am living for sure. I have found people in Oregon to be very friendly, striking up conversations with just about anyone. They really do live up to the start a conversation with a complete stranger and have the family photos out in minutes stereo type. I've also been amazed at their willingness to help people who need it, a very generous and charitable society far more so than the UK.

While Portland as a result of stupid decisions in the past has a serve gang problem it is only parts of Portland. There were places when I was a police officer back in the UK it wasn't safe for an officer to patrol alone, but that would be a long way from saying the UK is unsafe. To say it is unsafe for women, the crime statics and media reports do not seem to back that up. In fact the section of society most at risk seems to be black gang members, as they seem to shot one another quite regularly in Portland. But Portland is like any largish city, some parts are very safe, while other parts one steers clear off.

If you don't like Oregon you will not like or succeed in the UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I think if I were the OP's parent, I would be worried about him being depressed. He doesn't have much hope for his future where he is. Unfortunately, given his circumstances, I don't think moving to another country will help. I would suggest looking at what you think is holding you back and doing what you can about them.

getting a college degree in anything might help for a start. Why not study photography if that's what you want to do? Just start something.

Life in the UK or EU is not easy for under 26s with no degree either.

I'm sorry OP but having to work hard, study hard, sort out healthcare - they are what we do as grown-ups taking responsibility for ourselves and then we have to do it for our families.

Good luck, I wish you the best but there is no magic pill.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

What would you do in the UK? Is there a sector you want to work in that isn't available to you here? I don't see that your employment prospects would be much better - jobs are in short supply and are often zero hour contracts. There are benefits available to supplement your income if you're disabled but it sounds like the Tories are planning to squeeze those as far as they can, I know many people who rely on them are very worried right now. They also have a very rigorous assessment program where people have been found 'fit for work' and died literally days later. Of course it's questionable whether you'd be able to get any of those anyway since they may not consider the UK your habitual residence (the 'Moving Back to the UK) forum may offer more help on that. At least here you receive SSI benefits (for now at least), the UK would be a complete unknown.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
What's holding you back and making you miserable is YOU, not your location.
This!

It has taken me a long time to realize this about my own life. Where ever you go you are always you and you always bring your luggage with you. Therapy has helped a lot to work through all that luggage but it is an on going project. I recommend you try and seek out a therapist to talk things over. Many do a sliding scale based on means.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It has taken me a long time to realize this about my own life. Where ever you go you are always you and you always bring your luggage with you. Therapy has helped a lot to work through all that luggage but it is an on going project. I recommend you try and seek out a therapist to talk things over. Many do a sliding scale based on means.
He should be eligible for expanded Medicaid. If the benefits in Oregon are similar to California, most medical expenses are 100% paid for by the government.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
He should be eligible for expanded Medicaid. If the benefits in Oregon are similar to California, most medical expenses are 100% paid for by the government.
Perhaps, though in my experience finding good therapists that take insurance etc is often tricky.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
..... There are benefits available to supplement your income if you're disabled but it sounds like the Tories are planning to squeeze those as far as they can, I know many people who rely on them are very worried right now. .....
I've never quite fathomed why people expect complete freebies, as opposed to contributing to society to the best of their abilities. It doesn't seem unreasonable, does it?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've never quite fathomed why people expect complete freebies, as opposed to contributing to society to the best of their abilities. It doesn't seem unreasonable, does it?
Without knowing the full reason of why they are on benefits, judging them like that DOES seem unreasonable.

I bet you are the sort of person who wants to tell SNAP users what type of food they can spend their food stamps on.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Without knowing the full reason of why they are on benefits, judging them like that DOES seem unreasonable. ....
I'm not making that judgement, but there should be a process for doing so. People should not be thrown on the scrap heap and signed off with a pay check for life.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought of moving to North Carolina?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Have you thought of moving to North Carolina?
Won't work. I spent a long time in OR, and OP's characterization doesn't mesh with my observations. Not by a long way. Certainly not going to be happy in the UK either.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or Canada.

France maybe?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or Canada.

France maybe?
Yeah, France might work. There's probably nothing a frenchman likes doing more than sitting around moaning about health, social security, weather , other people (esp foreigners). Supposedly a 35 hour work week and 8 weeks holidays a year, not including most of May due to Bank Holidays means that they definitely think there is more to life than work. Pretty good disability benefits - free healthcare for most long-term illnesses.

Only one huge problem with all that for the OP - you cannot access any of the good stuff about France without first contributing to the system. And you only get out what you've put in.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
...... you cannot access any of the good stuff about France without first contributing to the system. And you only get out what you've put in.
I have just a little more respect for the French than I did before I read that.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

deleted original posting ...... OP is not a Commonwealth citizen and does not qualify for Ancestry visa.

Therefore unless he could afford to go on a student visa he has no eligibility for a visa.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 2nd 2015 at 11:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.