Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worming the dogs

Worming the dogs

Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Worming the dogs

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
To my mind, that's all the more reason to test a stool sample once in a while to ensure that the med is doing its job, rather than giving more medicine for no reason.
I agree with you. He hasn't come back yet though so we are still in the dark as to whether his dogs are on heartworm. Let's hope so.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I agree with you. He hasn't come back yet though so we are still in the dark as to whether his dogs are on heartworm. Let's hope so.
Hi,

Just discovered other half's thread!

No, they are not on heartworm. Our vet in the UK did not think it was necessary. OH is talking about when you have to worm them every three months.

I guess I had better get them to a vet this week then and get this checked out. With three of them I will anticipate a large bill

Thanks for all your advice.

Tracy
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Britishbees
Hi,

Just discovered other half's thread!

No, they are not on heartworm. Our vet in the UK did not think it was necessary. OH is talking about when you have to worm them every three months.

I guess I had better get them to a vet this week then and get this checked out. With three of them I will anticipate a large bill

Thanks for all your advice.

Tracy

From what I've heard, heartworm is a problem throughout the US and it's definitely a problem in Arizona. Please reconsider getting your dogs on a heartworm preventive, it really is a horrible disease.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by randomgirl
From what I've heard, heartworm is a problem throughout the US and it's definitely a problem in Arizona. Please reconsider getting your dogs on a heartworm preventive, it really is a horrible disease.
now I am totally freaked out. Going to ring a vets tomorrow and get them booked and sort this out. Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

now I am totally freaked out. Going to ring a vets tomorrow and get them booked and sort this out. Thanks for your advice.
No mosquito's yet this year here in Houston but I don't know what they are like in Arizona. You should be OK if they haven't been buzzing around since you've been here. I started my dog on Heartworm two months before I left the UK. Shame on your vet for saying they are not necessary, they are absolutely vital. I am glad to hear you are getting them in quick though. Good luck.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1chumly
No mosquito's yet this year here in Houston but I don't know what they are like in Arizona. You should be OK if they haven't been buzzing around since you've been here. I started my dog on Heartworm two months before I left the UK. Shame on your vet for saying they are not necessary, they are absolutely vital. I am glad to hear you are getting them in quick though. Good luck.
Haven't seen any mosquitoes in AZ since about November time but I'm sure they'll be back with a vengeance soon! Horrible things. We have a love hate relationship - they love me, I hate them!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

No worries! It'll be fine, they'll just do a quick blood test (the one they did for our dog took literally 5 minutes to get the results) and then so long as they don't have heartworm already you can put them on the preventive. It's just one chewable 'treat' (they seem to love it!) per month. Good luck!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
OH is talking about when you have to worm them every three months.
Just get the blood test, put your dog on meds, and I'm sure all will be well. You can also take a stool sample to be tested for intestinal parasites at the same time. But you do not have to "worm" your dog automatically every three months. The heartworm medication has an intestinal worm component and then you can have a stool sample checked once or twice a year -- don't give them medicine they might not need, there's enough that you really do need! I have never had to "worm" my dogs here.

Do you have all the other shots up to date? DHLP, rabies -- is Lyme needed in Texas (very important in the northeast)?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

They have all their other jabs like Rabies, Lyme's, and all the other nasties. I am very surprised about my vet back home as he was very good with absolutely everything else. Oh well! Not seen any nasty mossies around yet .

Ringing vet this morning to get them in.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:44 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

They have all their other jabs like Rabies, Lyme's, and all the other nasties. I am very surprised about my vet back home as he was very good with absolutely everything else. Oh well! Not seen any nasty mossies around yet .

Ringing vet this morning to get them in.

I had the same panic in week 2 of being in Houston (in Sept) when Chumly told me about heartworm! Like others have said, a quick blood test (done on site, very high tech) and then you start them on the pills. We got our vet to scan all our dogs existing documentation into their computer as well just in case.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weeze
I had the same panic in week 2 of being in Houston (in Sept) when Chumly told me about heartworm! Like others have said, a quick blood test (done on site, very high tech) and then you start them on the pills. We got our vet to scan all our dogs existing documentation into their computer as well just in case.

Thanks Weeze. Will take all the girls records with me as well and get them scanned in.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update for you all you kind peeps who answered this thread. Took the girls to a very nice vets on Saturday. All tested for heart worm and negative and now on preventative medication for it.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just an update for you all you kind peeps who answered this thread. Took the girls to a very nice vets on Saturday. All tested for heart worm and negative and now on preventative medication for it.
Great news!

It's totally worth it, your girls will thank you
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:33 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Well done! Waaay to go...
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Good to hear! So pleased everything was OK. Aren't you glad your husband asked about worming?!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.