Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

will USA salary support me and my wife?

will USA salary support me and my wife?

Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Johnny_laser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default will USA salary support me and my wife?

Hi All, I'm just waiting for my official job offer from the USA, i currently work for a company that are based worldwide, however this is not a job transfer i will quit the UK company (if the offer is good enough) and move to the USA.

So while i await the details i need to know if my hourly will be able to support me and my wife.

I'm hoping initially the company will provide me with an apartment for at least the 1st 12 months.

i will probably want to rent after this period for at least the next 12 months after this but wonder if i will be able to manage on just my income.

i'm not too sure what they will offer me but i'm hoping it's somewhere in the region of $28 to $35 per hr plus overtime to which is about 20 to 30 hrs per week.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will USA salary support me and my wife?

Whereabouts will you be moving to? The US is so vast that affordability will vary hugely depending on area.

Out of interest, what's the job and what visa will you be going over on? Is it one that will allow your wife to work if you do need a second income?

Hopefully if you can give a few more specifics, then those in the area will be able to tell you if it's a good wage or not.

Good luck.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:15 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Same questions from me as above.

If you're leaving the UK company, then it isn't an L1,it's more likely to be an H1B. If it is, you wont be going before October 2014 as the cap for this year has been reached.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Same questions from me as above.

If you're leaving the UK company, then it isn't an L1,it's more likely to be an H1B. If it is, you wont be going before October 2014 as the cap for this year has been reached.
well i'm guessing somewhere within Indiana, sorry it's a bit vague like i said still awaiting the job offer and finer details.

They did mention it will be a L1 visa.
My wife is self employed and can work anywhere as long as she has internet connectivity, i'm not sure how this will work in the USA thou regarding tax ect.

She's self employed travel agent.

My job title will be Applications Engineer taking me all over, Detroit, West Virginia, Mexico and Canada.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny_laser
well i'm guessing somewhere within Indiana, sorry it's a bit vague like i said still awaiting the job offer and finer details.

They did mention it will be a L1 visa.
My wife is self employed and can work anywhere as long as she has internet connectivity, i'm not sure how this will work in the USA thou regarding tax ect.

She's self employed travel agent.

My job title will be Applications Engineer taking me all over, Detroit, West Virginia, Mexico and Canada.
Welcome to BE.

If you are leaving the UK company then you will not get a L1 visa. Unless you have a visa that will allows your wife to work...she cannot work while she is in the US...whether it's internet based or not. Best to get a intra company transfer with the UK firm...then your wife will be able to work once she receives permission.

Will you have a visa to work in Canada? The Canadian authorities have given my husband a grilling a few times....and he was only entering Canada to attend meetings.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

The HR person i spoke too, told me the L1 they will be applying for will also allow my wife to work but i will clarify this is the case.

As for the Canadian visits, i can only presume they have all ready looked into this as other US engineers are also working in and out of Canada, but again i will check.

They did tell me they were going to consult an Attorney anyway so hopefully this will be picked up.

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You will not get an L1 if you resign from the UK company. An L1 is an intenal transfer visa. It's true that your wife can work on an L2, but the problem is you won't get the L1 in the first place with your plans as you stated in the opening post.

Is it possible that you misunderstood what you were told? Yes you will be paid in the US, pay US tax etc, but if your plans are to work for the same company (just the US branch) that you presumably wont need to resign.

Are this company familiar with visas? You should consider consulting an attorney yourself when things are more formalised, as the companys will work for them - not you.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:48 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

You will not get an L1 if you resign from the UK company. An L1 is an intenal transfer visa. It's true that your wife can work on an L2, but the problem is you won't get the L1 in the first place with your plans as you stated in the opening post.

Is it possible that you misunderstood what you were told? Yes you will be paid in the US, pay US tax etc, but if your plans are to work for the same company (just the US branch) that you presumably wont need to resign.
Just on this note, I'm relocating on an L1 visa and i'm being told I need to be transferred over to a USA contract by my UK employer.

As I see no worthwhile gain from going on one (at will employment, reduced annual leave for example), is there any specific reason why I can't stay on my UK contract? I will be paid in country in USD.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:51 am
Just Joined

ok I think they will be doing a job transfer but they way they explained it to me i would be finishing all ties with the UK and starting a new contract in the USA, I think they are just making sure i'm 100% sure this is what i would like to do.

I think they have dealt with Visa's many times before, with different nationalities working in the US for long term contracts 12 month to 36 months at a time.

So lets assume it will be the L1.

J
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:52 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Just on this note, I'm relocating on an L1 visa and i'm being told I need to be transferred over to a USA contract by my UK employer.

As I see no worthwhile gain from going on one (at will employment, reduced annual leave for example), is there any specific reason why I can't stay on my UK contract? I will be paid in country in USD.
Your contract refers to UK emplyment law. That dosent apply in the US and you would have no recourse to legal action. To my mind essentially that contract would be worthless.

You should insist (and have it in writing) that your terms and conditions will remain the same (or improve) upon conmencement of your US contract.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:54 am
Often not so civil...

ok I think they will be doing a job transfer but they way they explained it to me i would be finishing all ties with the UK and starting a new contract in the USA, I think they are just making sure i'm 100% sure this is what i would like to do.

So lets assume it will be the L1.
That makes more sense
Old Apr 15th 2013, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I'm not too sure what they will offer me but i'm hoping it's somewhere in the region of $28 to $35 per hr plus overtime to which is about 20 to 30 hrs per week.

What are your thoughts? ...
At the low ends of the ranges you cite, you could certainly survive in a lower cost area, but average US income is in the low $40,000s, and depending on your medical insurance plan, you may find your finances very tight. At the upper end of the ranges, life would certainly be easier, but again this would be critically dependent on your healthcare costs.

IMO based on the sketchy information you have supplied, this does not sound like a "golden opportunity", but might be worth taking if you're going to gain experience or if it leads to a better job in future.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the replies, lets see what they offer me.

J
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:37 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Your contract refers to UK emplyment law. That dosent apply in the US and you would have no recourse to legal action. To my mind essentially that contract would be worthless.

You should insist (and have it in writing) that your terms and conditions will remain the same (or improve) upon conmencement of your US contract.

Perfect. Thanks, I will do this.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Just make sure you get the full picture as to what benefits are available at what cost. You can't really evaluate any job offer unless you know what type of health insurance is being offered (if any), what it actually covers, if there is a 401(k) retirement plan with or without employer match, how many days of paid time off (vacation and sick time) etc etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.