Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will travelling to Cuba jeopardise my US Green Card?

Will travelling to Cuba jeopardise my US Green Card?

Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will travelling to Cuba jeopardise my US Green Card?

Didn't Beyonce and Jay Zed go recently without repercussions?
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Beyonce and Jay Z's Cuba trip declared legal - CNN.com

The report states that the couple's trip to Cuba was properly licensed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control under the "people-to-people" educational exchange program. The license was issued to a nonprofit organization that has a mission to promote education in the fields of art, architecture and the decorative arts
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's one way of doing it...
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:47 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Freedoms my ass.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Freedoms my ass.
Good point.

Carry a picture ID everywhere with you to get anything done, restricted travel, no fly lists, NSA.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No-one seems to have mentioned you can actually comply with the law and get State Dept. permission to visit Cuba.

But going the via Canada route is a bad idea. It's illegal and it's one of those stupid things where you end up in removal proceedings for no sensible reason, e.g. LPRs who check the wrong box on a federally-backed mortgage application.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
it's one of those stupid things where you end up in removal proceedings.
If you know, who has this happened to? I'd like to read up on it.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If you know, who has this happened to? I'd like to read up on it.
Well there have been plenty of threads of people on here who have ended up in crazy situations with naturalization by checking the wrong box on a form years ago, and there is a famous case of a German girl who was adopted and ended up in removal proceedings for having a fight with another girl in school (she got a one-year suspended sentence - thus an "aggravated felony" because it was a violent crime). She only got out of it because the Governor of Georgia pardoned her.

So if you end up in removal proceedings for things as trivial as that, committing a Federal offense would seem to be a very unwise thing to do.

This is why I always tell people they should naturalize as soon as they possibly can, because people get too wound up about taxes and Selective Service, but in reality for all you know you could end up in a fight in a bar or run someone over or whatever and end up being deported.

So think about what happened to that girl and then read this article: Man with bloody chainsaw let into U.S. - World - CBC News

Yep, US citizen, so hey you've got a bloody chainsaw in your luggage, WELCOME HOME!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:52 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yep, US citizen, so hey you've got a bloody chainsaw in your luggage, WELCOME HOME!
So if going to Cuba, do it as a citizen, so its a fine, at worse, rather than sent packing back to Blighty?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 12:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
They are friends of Obama.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

OP if you are desperate to go once you get your LPR here's how (I have people in our department at work that do the research route all the time)
Legal Travel to Cuba for Americans and Why NOW is the Time to Go!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:31 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Bnet36
OP if you are desperate to go once you get your LPR here's how (I have people in our department at work that do the research route all the time)
Legal Travel to Cuba for Americans and Why NOW is the Time to Go!
These seem to be uber package tours though.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:26 am
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly I'd go just to spite the Americans and their stupid rule. 'Land of the Free' my arse.

Cuba is a fantastic country if you're willing to get about. I wouldn't bother with a resort there. The ones I saw near Varadero looked interchangeable. Cubans are allowed to let rooms in their homes provided they pay taxes, so it's a good idea to stay with them. If you speak some Spanish it helps a lot.

By the way they stamped my British passport but I believe you can ask them not to. Don't carry any obvious items like cigars back into the US. How would they ever know you'd visited?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
. How would they ever know you'd visited?
You really think that they can't work it out, if they needed to ?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 2:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Frankly I'd go just to spite the Americans and their stupid rule. 'Land of the Free' my arse.

Cuba is a fantastic country if you're willing to get about. I wouldn't bother with a resort there. The ones I saw near Varadero looked interchangeable. Cubans are allowed to let rooms in their homes provided they pay taxes, so it's a good idea to stay with them. If you speak some Spanish it helps a lot.

By the way they stamped my British passport but I believe you can ask them not to. Don't carry any obvious items like cigars back into the US. How would they ever know you'd visited?
The plane operator(s) manifests are automatically shared with the US gvt under the Patriot Act. Every flight you take either in the US or Canada is known about.

Now whether USCIS would be bothered to look this information up is debatable. Point is, why take the risk when the potential downsides far out weight the benefits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.