Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will severe Autism be a problem to immigrate to USA on F3?

Will severe Autism be a problem to immigrate to USA on F3?

Old Mar 10th 2018, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

megababa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will severe Autism be a problem to immigrate to USA on F3?

I'm a british citizen (married f3 category). My US Citizen father filed I-130 in 2011 and my son was born in 2012.
My father had updated USCIS with all the required documents.

In 2015 my son was diagnosed with severe autism. He is nonverbal and attends special needs school.
I have been told that he can be refused visa/entery to US because of his learning disablity.

I know our visa is not due till 2022 , 2023 but I was wondering if anyone has same exprience and/or can share some
information regarding my situation?

Thanks.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Florida for autism child

Originally Posted by megababa
I'm a british citizen (married f3 category). My US Citizen father filed I-130 in 2011 and my son was born in 2012.

In 2015 my son was diagnosed with sever autism. He is nonverbal and attends special needs school.
I have been told that he can be refused visa/entery to US because of his learning disablity.

I know our visa is not due till 2022 , 2023 but I was wondering if you have same exprience and/or can share some

Thanks.
Nobody really knows, there has been talk about Comprehensive Immigration reform which would include a greater focus on Public Charge but anybody's guess if anything actually happens.

If you can show you have the resources should not be an issue anyway.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 7:21 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will severe Autism be a problem to immigrate to USA on F3?

It’s not autism, per se, that would be of concern. Any individual who is likely to become a public charge runs the risk of denial.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

They take into consideration health costs and the likelihood of the person ever being able to work.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

megababa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Florida for autism child

Seems like it all depends on my father's affidavit of support and the money I will be investing in USA.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megababa

In 2015 my son was diagnosed with severe autism. He is nonverbal and attends special needs school.

I know our visa is not due till 2022 , 2023 but I was wondering if anyone has same exprience and/or can share some

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to BE.

I have moved the post and reply posted in the other thread into this thread and deleted the duplicate post. Please do not post duplicate posts as it becomes very confusing.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 4:32 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that someone with severe autism who is unable to work is likely to become a pubic charge. It would be interesting to know how this one works out.