Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will a not for profit sponsor a visa?

Will a not for profit sponsor a visa?

Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Clairemarie16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will a not for profit sponsor a visa?

Hi everyone,

This may be a very specific question but I figure here is a good place to ask if anyone knows!

I live in London UK currently, have a degree and 4 years experience in the not for profit sector here. I'm interested in moving the New York and if possible would like to stay in the not for profit sector.

From what I have seen in researching, employers sponsor the working visa to the tune of $5k. My question really comes in two parts - 1) would you say it's better to try and secure a job before I arrive, or get a 3 month visa and look for something while I'm out here and 2) is a charity likely to sponsor a visa?

I still have a bit of saving to do before I can start looking really seriously into this bit I would really appreciate any help or advice you have :-)

Claire
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a not for profit sponsor a visa?

You need to do some more research into the general visa process. Both your options would likely apply but you need a visa when you enter the US if you want to work and to get a visa you need a job. Assuming an employment visa. As to a non profit sponsoring, it depends on what you mean. There are many types of non profit here, most hospitals for example, and some sponsor all the time. It will also depend on your skills, experience and education.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Clairemarie16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advise, I'm working in marketing at the head office of a national charity over here, so would be looking to do the equivalent in NY. I have a degree in business marketing and my experience in the charity sector has been exclusively in marketing.
It seems like a catch 22 situation then! I'm assuming if I had no luck applying from the UK for employment I can get a tourist visa and be available to attend face to face interviews?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you are eligible to use the visa waiver program you probably would be refused a tourist visa and that would cause you problems. Just my opinion but I think it would be highly unlikely that any company would sponsor somebody for a marketing job unless they were well known in that industry.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clairemarie16
Hi everyone,

This may be a very specific question but I figure here is a good place to ask if anyone knows!

I live in London UK currently, have a degree and 4 years experience in the not for profit sector here. I'm interested in moving the New York and if possible would like to stay in the not for profit sector.

From what I have seen in researching, employers sponsor the working visa to the tune of $5k. My question really comes in two parts - 1) would you say it's better to try and secure a job before I arrive, or get a 3 month visa and look for something while I'm out here and 2) is a charity likely to sponsor a visa?

I still have a bit of saving to do before I can start looking really seriously into this bit I would really appreciate any help or advice you have :-)

Claire
I used to work in the third sector in the UK. Why don't you turn it on its head.
Would your charity be able to justify spending thousands of pounds on employing someone with no real niche skills over the basic costs of recruiting someone who could start work with none of those kind of hassles?

Lx
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you are eligible to use the visa waiver program you probably would be refused a tourist visa and that would cause you problems. Just my opinion but I think it would be highly unlikely that any company would sponsor somebody for a marketing job unless they were well known in that industry.
Or as a company transfer.

Which really would be the best option.

As for H1, the company wouldn't be able to sponsor till April for that following October start, so basically no company at the moment will bother. That is unless they're cap exempt, but just being a non-profit doesn't mean that one is.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A not for profit may be a Charity but by no means should the tow be confused.

Mind you what a Charity is seems to have changed significantly.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

She specified a national charity and that she would be looking to do the equivalent
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Yeah, the terms "not for profit" and "charity" seem to get abused a lot these days, mainly for tax purposes. See also: FIFA, NFL, IKEA.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yeah, the terms "not for profit" and "charity" seem to get abused a lot these days, mainly for tax purposes. See also: FIFA, NFL, IKEA.
Hospitals raking it in.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And Directors of said organizations.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
And Directors of said organizations.
Of course.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clairemarie16
Hi everyone,

Claire
I had some connections with an NGO in NYC and they were wary of sponsoring someone for a work permit, primarily because they had no experience of doing it, not because they were fundamentally against it. They interviewed me anyway, although I was local at the time seeing as how I was in the US on a B-2 visa. I didn't get the job but that's because they found someone much more suitable than me, not because of the lack of a visa. But do bear in mind that I had a strong connection with the NGO so that was a big factor in not rejecting me outright.

I have to say that I agree with the others regarding your chances of a work permit unless there is something else that you didn't mention. It's actually not that easy to get a visa which would allow you to work. As an aside, we're hiring admin assistants with master's degrees so there is a lot of competition out there so you'd have to be a standout candidate for an NGO or non-profit to go the extra miles for someone without the appropriate visa.

Last edited by IlAlfie; Sep 30th 2014 at 11:24 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:11 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are going to have a tough time.

First, you have the problem you identified of non-profits not wanting to pay for a visa or unaware of the process of obtaining one. This will reduce the number of NGOs that you can consider immensely.

You'll also have the "Johnny Foreigner" problem, which manifests itself in two ways. Organizations that rely on public contributions or government money are going to be wary about having a "foreigner doing a job an American should be doing". Second, your employer have to convince the Immigration department that your experience is so incredible that you just have to be given the job because there are no unemployed Americans with the skills you have (problem: there are many unemployed Americans with marketing skills and/or NGO experience).

You might find some work with an international organization, such as the United Nations or perhaps one of their offshoots like W.H.O. or UNICEF. Competition for these jobs is tight, but they are able to cut through a considerable amount of the employment visa process given their special status.

But realistically, it's going to be very difficult.