Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will my UK Vitamix work in USA?

Will my UK Vitamix work in USA?

Old May 23rd 2016, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will my UK Vitamix work in USA?

Hi

We are relocating to Thousand Oaks, California in September this year. I'm trying to work up a list of electronics to sell in UK as I understand that most UK electronics don't work in USA?

Particularly I'm interested in Vitamix. We've only recently bought it and it will be a shame to have to get rid of it. The Vitamix plug fuse says 13 Amperes.

Any advice on electronics that may work there will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks !
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my UK Vitamix work in USA?

It's not the fuse size that matters, it's the voltage. Most US appliances are 110v 60Hz but you can get 220v in the house if you pay to have special sockets installed. Now, most electronics - laptops, phones etc have a universal charger - 110-240V 50/60Hz and except for a plug adaptor these will work fine. Check the rating plate on your Vitamix and if it says 220V50Hz then sadly it is not going to be that easy to get it to work. You could buy a step up transformer to change the 110v to 220v but at 60Hz it'll run a bit faster! Depends on the cost of the transformer against what you can get selling your UK vitamix and buying a new one in the US.Use the search function above to look for "UK appliances in USA" , or similar. There have been plenty of threads on this subject - for most countries in the world!
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
It's not the fuse size that matters, it's the voltage. Most US appliances are 110v 60Hz but you can get 220v in the house if you pay to have special sockets installed. Now, most electronics - laptops, phones etc have a universal charger - 110-240V 50/60Hz and except for a plug adaptor these will work fine. Check the rating plate on your Vitamix and if it says 220V50Hz then sadly it is not going to be that easy to get it to work. You could buy a step up transformer to change the 110v to 220v but at 60Hz it'll run a bit faster! Depends on the cost of the transformer against what you can get selling your UK vitamix and buying a new one in the US.Use the search function above to look for "UK appliances in USA" , or similar. There have been plenty of threads on this subject - for most countries in the world!
Thanks ever so much. We'll be renting for a few years initially so its unlikely we'll get the sockets changed. (Off to check the rating plates for all electronic goods!) . Can't imagine the Vitamix going any faster than it already does!
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:36 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julymermaid
Hi

We are relocating to Thousand Oaks, California in September this year. I'm trying to work up a list of electronics to sell in UK as I understand that most UK electronics don't work in USA?

Particularly I'm interested in Vitamix. We've only recently bought it and it will be a shame to have to get rid of it. The Vitamix plug fuse says 13 Amperes.

Any advice on electronics that may work there will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks !
No, vitamin requirements in the US are far different. 😉
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
No, vitamin requirements in the US are far different. 😉
And in California they are complex and not optional
Old May 23rd 2016, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much all devices with a motor will not be universal - so I think you will find your UK Vitamix will not work over here.

As mentioned you can get a voltage step down adaptor - but with the high wattage of a blender that will be expensive. In addition the difference in the 50/60hz will mean that chances are your blender isn't going to last very long before it breaks.

When we moved here we brought anything that was dual voltage (luckily the new TV we brought was dual). Nothing kitchen related was dual voltage (general rule of thumb seemed to be if it has a moving part it isn't going to work here).

We didn't know how long we were going to stay here. So we sold/gave away all cheap electronics and stored the more expensive stuff til we knew how long we would stay.
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

In simple terms:

Things with motors or heating elements generally won't work well if at all.

Things with little transformers like laptops, computers will be ok with either a plug adapter or new transformer. Often the transformer will say "110/220 v".
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by H Bomb
Pretty much all devices with a motor will not be universal - so I think you will find your UK Vitamix will not work over here.

As mentioned you can get a voltage step down adaptor - but with the high wattage of a blender that will be expensive. In addition the difference in the 50/60hz will mean that chances are your blender isn't going to last very long before it breaks.

When we moved here we brought anything that was dual voltage (luckily the new TV we brought was dual). Nothing kitchen related was dual voltage (general rule of thumb seemed to be if it has a moving part it isn't going to work here).

We didn't know how long we were going to stay here. So we sold/gave away all cheap electronics and stored the more expensive stuff til we knew how long we would stay.
Thanks very much. Its just added expense we were hoping to avoid .
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
In simple terms:

Things with motors or heating elements generally won't work well if at all.

Things with little transformers like laptops, computers will be ok with either a plug adapter or new transformer. Often the transformer will say "110/220 v".
Many Thanks. What about things like televisions and bluetooth speakers? Sorry if this is a daft question.
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks. What about things like televisions and bluetooth speakers? Sorry if this is a daft question.
Look for a label on the back somewhere it will tell you the voltage it works with. Unless someone else is paying to ship the big items, it probably isn't worth it. TVs are pretty cheap now.
Old May 23rd 2016, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the small crap will work. TV won't be worth the shipping unless it's brand new or someone else is paying for it.

Want to avoid using transformers, especially on anything that is used regularly, if not for the fire hazard, for it voiding any liability/renter/owners insurance.
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Most of the small crap will work. TV won't be worth the shipping unless it's brand new or someone else is paying for it.

Want to avoid using transformers, especially on anything that is used regularly, if not for the fire hazard, for it voiding any liability/renter/owners insurance.
Exactly. When I moved from the UK to the USA, I left behind all my kitchen electronics (including a fairly expensive blender).

Thankfully, Vitamix machines in the USA seem to be pretty cheap (Vitamix is a US brand), and their warranty is really good. You can get a 5300 Vitamix from Costco for $349.99 when they have special offers, which is about £241.66. An equivalent full priced Vitamix in the UK can cost £450+.
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
... An equivalent full priced Vitamix in the UK can cost £450+.
How many veg/smoothies do you drink to make that worth it?
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
How many veg/smoothies do you drink to make that worth it?
Fellow Vitamix owner here. They're really really good. They get whatever you are blending absolutely super smooth. Built to last too.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Just sell it or give it away and buy yourself a real blender when you get here ...

Will it blend?

Last edited by md95065; May 24th 2016 at 1:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.