Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will a CS degree from Poland be recognized in the USA ? Thinking study in Poland

Will a CS degree from Poland be recognized in the USA ? Thinking study in Poland

Old Sep 30th 2017, 10:54 pm
Banned

ProgrammerC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will a CS degree from Poland be recognized in the USA ? Thinking study in Poland

Hello everybody,

I'm 17 years old who is highly interested in Computer Science, Math and Evolutionary Biology person that currently live in the Turkey. After I've finished high school here, I don't want to study university in the Turkey, I know that Anatolian culture can't teach me science and right now teaching evolution is completely removed from the curriculum in the Turkey. There is no way I can live in the Turkey, because culturally it is unsuitable for me and as an atheist person they don't like atheists here that's why I won't be able to share my opinions. I don't know do you have an any idea about current government of Turkey ? But It's really shameful for that country which is founded by Atatürk. Ignorance ruling Turkish society for a long time and ignorance is an accepted norm in this society since 1950s..

I'm writing these things because you should understand my situation before making suggestions for me.

I don't have enough money to study in an Anglosphere country I can't afford that. I can pay yearly max. €3000-4000.

I've been making researchment about universities in the Poland for a long time and I've decided to prefer Wrocław University of Science and Technology because of the feedbacks, I want to study Computer Science in English. Any opinions about that university ? Or about Poland ?

After I got my CS degree, I want to move to the U.S. Before that I'll try to gain some experiences in Poland. So, is my degree will be worth in the U.S. ? I can get permanent residence in there via H-1B visa but for that I'll be needed employer.

Thanks.

Regards,
Old Sep 30th 2017, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a CS degree from Poland be recognized in the USA ? Thinking study in Poland

Welcome to BE.

Your post sounds remarkably similar to one that was posted a while ago. Have you registered with us before?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post12294619

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 1st 2017 at 12:11 am.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a CS degree from Poland be recognized in the USA ? Thinking study in Poland

Originally Posted by ProgrammerC
Hello everybody,

I'm 17 years old who is highly interested in Computer Science, Math and Evolutionary Biology person that currently live in the Turkey. After I've finished high school here, I don't want to study university in the Turkey, I know that Anatolian culture can't teach me science and right now teaching evolution is completely removed from the curriculum in the Turkey. There is no way I can live in the Turkey, because culturally it is unsuitable for me and as an atheist person they don't like atheists here that's why I won't be able to share my opinions. I don't know do you have an any idea about current government of Turkey ? But It's really shameful for that country which is founded by Atatürk. Ignorance ruling Turkish society for a long time and ignorance is an accepted norm in this society since 1950s..

I'm writing these things because you should understand my situation before making suggestions for me.

I don't have enough money to study in an Anglosphere country I can't afford that. I can pay yearly max. €3000-4000.

I've been making researchment about universities in the Poland for a long time and I've decided to prefer Wrocław University of Science and Technology because of the feedbacks, I want to study Computer Science in English. Any opinions about that university ? Or about Poland ?

After I got my CS degree, I want to move to the U.S. Before that I'll try to gain some experiences in Poland. So, is my degree will be worth in the U.S. ? I can get permanent residence in there via H-1B visa but for that I'll be needed employer.

Thanks.

Regards,
This is purely anecdotal - but my last job (that sponsored me for my green card) had 12 Polish educated and trained software engineers. They were all of VERY high standard and 50% of them were recruited by other organization's.

That said - there was also other polish trained software engineers that remained in Poland, and had good salary's and a high standard of living vs cost of living. For example, I went to one person's house, they lived in Warsaw on the equivalent of E50,000 and had a beautiful apartment and 4 holiday's a year - more than their American counterparts.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 3:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Your post sounds remarkably similar to one that was posted a while ago. Have you registered with us before?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post12294619
The first two paragraphs of post #1 in the thread you linked are (combined) almost identical to the first paragraph above.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:05 am
Banned

ProgrammerC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

Yes, it's me. When I posted that post, I wasn't thinking to study in Eastern European countries a lot of things changed for me since then so I decided to register with another membership.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProgrammerC
Yes, it's me. When I posted that post, I wasn't thinking to study in Eastern European countries a lot of things changed for me since then so I decided to register with another membership.
We do not allow multiple accounts. Please choose which username you wish to keep and I will arrange to have the two accounts merged.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The first two paragraphs of post #1 in the thread you linked are (combined) almost identical to the first paragraph above.
Err...that's why I posted the link.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:57 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I want to say how lucky you are to have a choice in the first place.

I think what you are asking is "Will a Bachelor's degree from Poland get me a job in the USA in 4 or 5 year's time?"

That's a really difficult question to answer on all kinds of levels - immigration law might change, supply/demand for CS majors might change ( unlikely), you might hate studying CS.

Right now, a degree from a good university in Europe will get you a job in the US, subject to immigration law.

My advice as a mum to 2 college kids - 1 of which is a CS major.

Choose your degree based on where you will be happy and what they will be teaching you and the quality of the department. Also what you can afford....US employers won't recognise the name of every university in Europe so try to pick one that has an excellent and well recognised CS department.

Look very carefully at what exactly they will teach you. Some subjects are really hot right now and will stand you in good stead. Will you get help with internships/work experience? This is something that will help enormously and which most (all) good CS graduates here in the US will have done.

Most importantly, don't study just to get a job in the USA. Keep your options and your mind open. Go where you will be happy.

Good luck
x
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As the OP hadn’t been back to this thread, has opened multiple accounts and has not contacted me...I am closing this thread.