Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why you cannot come to the USA !

Why you cannot come to the USA !

Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:19 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why you cannot come to the USA !

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Actually, there are ways of overstaying on the VWP and then legalizing your status. It's a long, hard route, and involves spending a lot of time in the US without being allowed to leave, but it can be done.
Oh no. This statement blows the entire thread Can't you be more detailed in why it's tough to go this route!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
Oh no. This statement blows the entire thread Can't you be more detailed in why it's tough to go this route!
Hopefully I rescued it ----------------->

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You can't come to the US based on being married to an American who is of the same sex as yourself
Which is legal in some states, but then again, states do not have a say in immigration matters, and same-sex marriage is not recognized at the federal level, and very unlikely will be in the near future

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Nov 12th 2009 at 7:25 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there are ways of overstaying on the VWP and then legalizing your status. It's a long, hard route, and involves spending a lot of time in the US without being allowed to leave, but it can be done.
Ok Spill the master plan ......
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:01 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Yes, do, please state something that hasn't already been said or isn't common knowledge.... go on, I dare you.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:56 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Yes, do, please state something that hasn't already been said or isn't common knowledge.... go on, I dare you.
The only things I can think of are:

a) Be Cuban
b) Marry a USC
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

um... i know *smirks* but this thread is a tongue in cheek guide.... and who said anything about legalizing? i'm talking about those who come for a holiday, and stay for 20 years.... sans paperwork
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Ok Spill the master plan ......
Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Tut tut on all you non searchers. Two clicks! Two, I tell you!
Don't see how this plan works going forward though. Maybe there is another one in the list?

Green Card Through Registry

Registry is a section of immigration law that enables certain individuals who have been present in the United States since January 1, 1972 the ability to apply for a green card (permanent residence), even if they are currently in the United States unlawfully.
Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible to receive a green card (permanent residence) under the registry provisions if you meet all of the following conditions:

* You entered the United States prior to January 1, 1972
* You have resided in the United States continuously since January 1, 1972
* You are a person of good moral character
* You are not ineligible for naturalization (citizenship)
* You are not removable (deportable) under Section 237(a)(4)(B) the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (see “INA” link to the right)
* You are not inadmissible under Section 212(a)(3)(E) of the INA or as a criminal, procurer, other immoral person, subversive, violator of the narcotics laws or alien smuggler

Other Ways to Get a Green Card

Although most immigrants come to live permanently in the United States through a family member’s sponsorship, employment, or a job offer, there are many other ways to get a green card (permanent residence).

These special adjustment programs are limited to individuals meeting particular qualifications and/or applying during certain time frames.
(see list)
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:48 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

He/she was talking pretense not past.

And, I was aware of Green Card Through Registry but had never read the info.. I got to one click and gave up...

Which leads me to believe he/she is just referring to AOS from various visa's and VWP.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 12:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...because it's full
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I have a couple of friends here in NY who overstayed on the VWP and are in the process of "normalizing" their status, both through marriage. Both are currently working legally, or at least semi-legally, paying taxes, and neither has been back home for at least 5 years. One of them has also succeeded in building up decent credit.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
But seriously if anyone does want to come to the US, just send me a cheque for $5,000 and I'll get you a visa.
Hey I just got an email saying that some guy just died and his fortune is going to be taken away by the goverment. If you let them use your bank account and give them your soc number etc so they can claim the money you can become a millionaire. Wow huh? I decided I can't be bothered to become a millionaire this week so I can forward it to you if your interested
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of friends here in NY who overstayed on the VWP and are in the process of "normalizing" their status, both through marriage. Both are currently working legally, or at least semi-legally, paying taxes, and neither has been back home for at least 5 years. One of them has also succeeded in building up decent credit.
so we are in the process ... not actually sorted
oh Dear
Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:42 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of friends here in NY who overstayed on the VWP and are in the process of "normalizing" their status, both through marriage. Both are currently working legally, or at least semi-legally...
Are either of them semi-pregnant? Just curious.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

... because there are loads of Irish pubs in New York that will pay you under the table - must be true because your mate said so.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
... because there are loads of Irish pubs in New York that will pay you under the table - must be true because your mate said so.
Hey you how's things with you?

sorry for the OT post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.