Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are interest saving rates so low in US?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I never understood this, I have never yet paid even a penny in fees to Bank of America, the checking account is free, I dont use other banks ATM's, dont after draft.

B of A doesn't even charge me to use my ATM card in Canada as long as I used a Scotia Bank.

Maybe I am lucky..lol

Canadians banks are worse, at my bank 10.95 a month gets you unlimited transactions and the ability to see a teller inside the bank.

3.95 a month gets you 12 monthly transactions and no teller visits.

I'll take US banks any day.
You had to pay $10.95 a month just to spend your own money? I'd keep it under the mattress first, before I paid that.

We are at US Bank now, and so far we've not paid a dime in fees. If that ever changes, we'll move elsewhere. I refuse to pay any fees to access my own money.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Forget savings accounts. A lot of Savings & Loans and credit unions are paying 3% or even as much as 5% interest on their full-service checking accounts now. You just have to use your debit card for purchase transactions a certain number of times each month. Also, these high rates are usually limited to the first $25,000 or $50,000 balance.

Just do a Google search for "high interest checking" or similar and you'll see more information...

We get 3% interest on our checking account, and no fees for anything. We now keep our "emergency savings" there (that is, the recommended 6 months to one year of expenses.)
Usually I'm on top of financial things but I didn't realize that the local banks and credit unions were paying such high interest rates.

I suspect they are making their money through the required 10-15 monthly debit card purchases probably through Visa or MasterCard where they earn a nice chunk of money for each transaction.

http://www.money-rates.com/rewardsch...htm#fill-table
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Usually I'm on top of financial things but I didn't realize that the local banks and credit unions were paying such high interest rates.

I suspect they are making their money through the required 10-15 monthly debit card purchases probably through Visa or MasterCard where they earn a nice chunk of money for each transaction.

http://www.money-rates.com/rewardsch...htm#fill-table
Yes, we had to change our behavior in one respect; using the debit card for purchases (which we'd never done before.) We'd always used the credit card as much as possible because of the cash rewards. Now we do the minimum number of debit card transactions to earn the higher interest rate.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

My girlfriend has BofA and although she doesn't get charged many fees when using it domestically, she gets totally screwed when we travel abroad. I was shocked to find that not only does BofA charge well above the International Transaction % that Visa charges (because they can), but also charges $5 for using a non approved ATM abroad (again, just because they can!)!
We usually end up making most charges on my Credit Union cards, which has no intl. transaction fees above what Visa charges, and zero ATM fees.

I totally agree with you about Canadian banks. I studied abroad in Quebec for a semester, and while I loved my time in Canada, I couldn't stand Canadian banks. I had to make an appointment to open a simple checking account, and then had to provide very detailed documentation as to my student status and # of classes taken in order to get RBC's "promotional" offer of $5 a month checking, with 20 ATM transactions! Whoop dee doo! I opened it but the servicing was so bad and inflexible that I just ended up using my US account and paying rent in cash.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I never understood this, I have never yet paid even a penny in fees to Bank of America, the checking account is free, I dont use other banks ATM's, dont after draft.

B of A doesn't even charge me to use my ATM card in Canada as long as I used a Scotia Bank.

Maybe I am lucky..lol

Canadians banks are worse, at my bank 10.95 a month gets you unlimited transactions and the ability to see a teller inside the bank.

3.95 a month gets you 12 monthly transactions and no teller visits.

I'll take US banks any day.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranes
Why are interest saving rates so so low in the US, compared to UK? E.g. Citibank offering 0.4% annual saving rate? Where do they save their money?? Doesn't this turn people off from moving to the US?
Because the TBTF banks can borrow from the Fed's discount window for almost free, so they're offering similar rates or even less than what they have to pay for savings accounts, then go buy Treasuries with the borrowed money and hey, profit.

There are a couple of savings accounts that pay more (I've got one with Sallie Mae paying a little over 1%, Amex has one in the same ballpark) plus as mentioned there are the reward checking accounts, too.

Compared to the UK, savings accounts don't seem to be quite as good a deal as, say a reward checking account as you further limits as to what you can do with it (like 3 transfers out max per month, a rule I recently fell foul of).
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Because the TBTF banks can borrow from the Fed's discount window for almost free, so they're offering similar rates or even less than what they have to pay for savings accounts, then go buy Treasuries with the borrowed money and hey, profit.

There are a couple of savings accounts that pay more (I've got one with Sallie Mae paying a little over 1%, Amex has one in the same ballpark) plus as mentioned there are the reward checking accounts, too.

Compared to the UK, savings accounts don't seem to be quite as good a deal as, say a reward checking account as you further limits as to what you can do with it (like 3 transfers out max per month, a rule I recently fell foul of).
Normally not. Generally borrowing from the discount window is available for overnight lending and typically has a maximum time of 30 days.

http://www.frbdiscountwindow.org/dis...lID=43#primary
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranes
Why are interest saving rates so so low in the US, compared to UK? E.g. Citibank offering 0.4% annual saving rate? Where do they save their money?? Doesn't this turn people off from moving to the US?
High interest on savings accounts in the UK is a thing of the past. Most interest rates are preceded by a decimal point. Higher rates are only available by tying in your money for several years (I guess that is similar to a CD in the States?)