Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is American radio so bad?

Why is American radio so bad?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice
Default Re: Why is American radio so bad?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
XM is not cheap. After a cheap intro period, they try to charge you about $140/year, but if you let your subscription expire and string them along a few weeks, you start getting special offers for about $80/year. I believe XM and Sirius have merged, but they may each offer different packages still.
Eh... Decisions decisions. I may as well stick to broadcast radio for a while longer. Especially since there's nothing really wrong with the stations I get.

Maybe after they merge they could come to a compromise in prices, or maybe even get cheaper as more and more people switch.
It's only a matter of time before broadcast radio goes the way of analogue TV anyway.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
See, I'm more American than you! I love Garrison K's 'News from lake Wobegon'!
My mother loves it.

My (Dutch) husband loves it.

I think it's a certain taste in humour? rather than sentimental Americana.

PS they both grew up in farming areas.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

I like listening to a few minutes of Car Talk on NPR when I'm driving along. It's a bit hit or miss though.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:57 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
I like listening to a few minutes of Car Talk on NPR when I'm driving along. It's a bit hit or miss though.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Here you go.......alas poor Alan has gone to that great Radio Station in the Sky.

His style; Less of the B.S - more of the music

Jim.
Not 'alf!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:31 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
Eh... Decisions decisions. I may as well stick to broadcast radio for a while longer. Especially since there's nothing really wrong with the stations I get.

Maybe after they merge they could come to a compromise in prices, or maybe even get cheaper as more and more people switch.
It's only a matter of time before broadcast radio goes the way of analogue TV anyway.
In terms of which to get... Well, you pays your money and you takes your choc ice. Sirius has Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, NFL and NASCAR. XM Has Opie And Anthony, Oprah, NBA and NHL. The rest are basically merged together, the others you can purchase for a little extra in a "Best of" the other package. Eother way, I heartily recommend either one, though would prefer you to get Sirius as that way my wife keeps her job.

Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the Apple Iphone so I could access the BBC's Iplayer Radion service much better to get the whole show rather than a best-of podcast I really loved the Danny Baker and Zoe Ball R2 spot it's a shame Jonathan Ross will soon be returning

And I get to listen to Simon Mayo's R5 show on the drive home
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have tips for how to renew XM cheaply? My strategy (mentioned above) is to let the subscription lapse a few days, then they give much better offers to 'come back' - but you do have to go a few days without the service (which is not a big deal for me). I renewed at $79.

Also, FYI, you can download the 'News from lake Wobegon' episodes freely from the I-Tunes store as podcasts. I've collected over a year's worth now ... .
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ridski
In terms of which to get... Well, you pays your money and you takes your choc ice. Sirius has Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, NFL and NASCAR. <etc>
You didn't mention football !! All those headliners make sense from a US-centric perspective, but only Sirius has Premier league games plus 6-0-6, as well as some US-produced "soccer" shows like World Soccer Daily. AFAIK, XM has no equivalent.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
You didn't mention football !! All those headliners make sense from a US-centric perspective, but only Sirius has Premier league games plus 6-0-6, as well as some US-produced "soccer" shows like World Soccer Daily. AFAIK, XM has no equivalent.

World Soccer Daily and Charlie and Georgio (who are of pair complete Italian cocks, I believe would crawl up Neil Barnetts arse if he let them)
are all on XM now.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ridski
In terms of which to get... Well, you pays your money and you takes your choc ice. Sirius has Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, NFL and NASCAR. XM Has Opie And Anthony, Oprah, NBA and NHL. The rest are basically merged together, the others you can purchase for a little extra in a "Best of" the other package. Eother way, I heartily recommend either one, though would prefer you to get Sirius as that way my wife keeps her job.

SUCH POWER! SUCH POWER I HAVE!

I'll think about it...
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:24 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by Manc
World Soccer Daily and Charlie and Georgio (who are of pair complete Italian cocks, I believe would crawl up Neil Barnetts arse if he let them)
are all on XM now.
Yeah, I was just talking about the exclusive channels. I believe the basic sports channels are now merged.