Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who has flown in the past couple of weeks?

Who has flown in the past couple of weeks?

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice
Default Re: Who has flown in the past couple of weeks?

Hi
I returned from the UK yesterday to LA and there was extra security at the gate with patdowns and searching most baggage. There was no waiting to get on the flight after security just walked straight through to the plane. All the security people were asian and i expected to be pat down as i am a black woman and I was - this is the reality now. Pleased when i got to LA as green card holders are in the same line as citizens so moved through quickly. although there is extra security at the immigration line in terms of checking on board luggage etc.
Julia
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mekadag
Hi
I returned from the UK yesterday to LA and there was extra security at the gate with patdowns and searching most baggage. There was no waiting to get on the flight after security just walked straight through to the plane. All the security people were asian and i expected to be pat down as i am a black woman and I was - this is the reality now. Pleased when i got to LA as green card holders are in the same line as citizens so moved through quickly. although there is extra security at the immigration line in terms of checking on board luggage etc.
Julia
Were you fingerprinted?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
On a side note as the UK terrorist threat level has just been increased by HMG, I would expect that airport security will once again ratchet up further.

Obviously, they know something we dont.
Yes the UK security level has moved from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross."

The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
Yes the UK security level has moved from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross."

The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out.

I liked that.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie

Indeed. And funny how we managed to carry on pretty much as usual even during the height of the IRA atrocities (which, unlike airplane bombs, were much closer to everyone's everyday lives because they often targetted shopping centres...).
Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed. And funny how we managed to carry on pretty much as usual even during the height of the IRA atrocities (which, unlike airplane bombs, were much closer to everyone's everyday lives because they often targetted shopping centres...).
The IRA 's political purposes and goals were very distinct to that of the jihadist. The IRA, did also, more often than not provided warnings, as killing British citizens was not top of their agenda. The intent and capabilities of Islamist international terrorist groups are far more destructive than that of the IRA. There is a completely distinct methodology between the groups despite being labelled as terror groups.

What people fail to understand is that the term terrorist does not relate to those who once wanted to create disruption and daily inconvenience, and invoke feelings of panic and psychological fear.

The jihadist cares not a bit for that, his sole mission is to kill as many people as they can - there are no more warnings, phoned in threats, bombs planted and detonated at weekends.

There are no parallels between the IRA and Islamists.

That is not to say the point made previously is not entirely valid, in that democratic life continues on despite the threat but be under no illusion that the terror threat is not real and is inherently more destructive than previous terrorist actors of the past.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
The IRA 's political purposes and goals were very distinct to that of the jihadist. The IRA, did also, more often than not provided warnings, as killing British citizens was not top of their agenda. The intent and capabilities of Islamist international terrorist groups are far more destructive than that of the IRA. There is a completely distinct methodology between the groups despite being labelled as terror groups.

What people fail to understand is that the term terrorist does not relate to those who once wanted to create disruption and daily inconvenience, and invoke feelings of panic and psychological fear.

The jihadist cares not a bit for that, his sole mission is to kill as many people as they can - there are no more warnings, phoned in threats, bombs planted and detonated at weekends.

There are no parallels between the IRA and Islamists.

That is not to say the point made previously is not entirely valid, in that democratic life continues on despite the threat but be under no illusion that the terror threat is not real and is inherently more destructive than previous terrorist actors of the past.
Different thread, same utter bullshit. The goal of the islamic terrorist is to strike fear and to cause disruption. Killing ~300 people on a plane is not exactly likely to wipe out a civilization, now, is it? If they wanted to kill more people, there are lots of ways they could do it. They want dramatic, visible, headline catching events.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:07 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Different thread, same utter bullshit. The goal of the islamic terrorist is to strike fear and to cause disruption. Killing ~300 people on a plane is not exactly likely to wipe out a civilization, now, is it? If they wanted to kill more people, there are lots of ways they could do it. They want dramatic, visible, headline catching events.
Completely agree, with one small caveat:

There is a difference between AQ and the IRA - the IRA were good at it. Makes sense, really. Any time one of the current crop of beardy nutters gets halfway competent, he tops himself! This leaves them with a decreasingly competent pool of retards to work with...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:40 pm

Incidentally (and back on topic) I just had a horrible thought.

I'm flying over for a conference, as part of my Masters. My laptop and carry on are going to be stuffed with criminology books and academic papers about drug smuggling, cyber-terror, human trafficking and all sorts of scary stuff.

I'll be using my time on the planes to read a bunch of this stuff. What do you think my chances are of making it home to TX without getting a tug for being a "foreigner reading suspicious literature"?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
What do you think my chances are of making it home to TX without getting a tug for being a "foreigner reading suspicious literature"?
Probably depends a lot on whether or not you have dark skin and a beard

Just to be on the safe side you might want to wear the cowboy boots and the stetson for the flight back ...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying over for a conference, as part of my Masters. My laptop and carry on are going to be stuffed with criminology books and academic papers about drug smuggling, cyber-terror, human trafficking and all sorts of scary stuff.

I'll be using my time on the planes to read a bunch of this stuff. What do you think my chances are of making it home to TX without getting a tug for being a "foreigner reading suspicious literature"?
You need to make some of those book covers out of brown paper shopping bags.
Ask your wife.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

FedEx on the return?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Completely agree, with one small caveat:

There is a difference between AQ and the IRA - the IRA were good at it. Makes sense, really. Any time one of the current crop of beardy nutters gets halfway competent, he tops himself! This leaves them with a decreasingly competent pool of retards to work with...
Nice observation. They would be MUCH better served by landing first, then setting about f**cking things up for us using all manner of techniques. I'm not going to list them here but anyone with half a brain could think of ways to kill quite a few people. Remember Timothy McVeigh? the Unabomber (well, he did pretty well for living in a wooden shack!)? They are clearly going for landmarks (WTC - they tried several times on the same building), planes, etc - emotional targets, maximum headline material.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:15 pm

FedEx on the return?
I don't think I'd fit in a standard FedEx box...

Seriously, the journey back is going to involve the best part of a day hanging around in airports and on planes & I'm buggered if I'll waste such a large amount of valuable reading-cos-there's-sod-all-else-to-do time.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God the President doesn't agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.