Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who has flown in the past couple of weeks?

Who has flown in the past couple of weeks?

Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who has flown in the past couple of weeks?

Just wondering how bad the security is now? We are flying in a few weeks to the UK via Amsterdam, are the line/search times really long now?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has flown in the past couplpe of weeks?

oops, wont let me edit the title, was supposed to be 'couple'.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

SuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to all

I recently flew back home via Amsterdam both going home and coming back. Both times they inspected your carry on bags and and went through security scanners prior to boarding. THis was in addition to the security you normaly o throuh when you first get to the airport.

I would recommend that you get to the departure gate a little earlier than normal, especially coming back as the lines just to board the plan were quite long.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:43 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

We flew to the UK before Christmas with the baby, which meant that while we did get pushed to the front of the security lines, we also had every single little item we were carrying inspected and tested (his formula, medications, etc.) It really wasn't too bad though, and they got done fairly quickly.

Coming back from the UK however, after the Underwear Bomber's shenanigans, was such a palaver. Double, triple security checks, bags inspected, pat-downs, liquids being tested... all sorts. Completely ridiculous and time-consuming, but then no-one on my plane was planning to blow it up.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had rellies who flew back to the UK at the weekend. For international flights passengers were asked to arrive at the airport 3/4 hours before the flight. As for passing through security...nothing much seems to have changed and the lines were only a little longer than normal.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:55 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Coming back from the UK however, after the Underwear Bomber's shenanigans, was such a palaver. Double, triple security checks, bags inspected, pat-downs, liquids being tested... all sorts. Completely ridiculous and time-consuming, but then no-one on my plane was planning to blow it up.
And the one thing they don't specifically check for is........ explosives in the underwear! Ding, ding, ding!

My flight out of Heathrow missed its date with the deicer, since a bunch of people were still getting pat downs. Sat on the tarmac for 1.5 hours waiting for the deicer to come back.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't notice any increased security except when leaving the UK to return to the US. Then, there were secondary bag inspections at the gate and pat downs of passengers. What made me laugh is that when the queue got long because of these procedures, they let people through, including myself, with no secondary check or pat down. So I guess the moral of the story is that if you have plastic explosives in your underpants, join the line at the gate when it's got long.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

there are checks now at the gate, so even if u have gone thru the security and plan to go on a shopping spree in the airport, forget it!! The gate lines are so long it takes ages, take patience and a good book.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:13 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they have any more daft baggage restrictions, or are you still allowed a rollaboard and a lappy?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Do they have any more daft baggage restrictions, or are you still allowed a rollaboard and a lappy?
1 plus 1 - but they are going thru everything. The moral is take a little as possible.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Sis said that on her way back home to the UK, they were asking more people to check in their carry on (smaller) luggage, they are not allowing everyone to stow the smaller cases in the overheads as much as they used too?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:39 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Sis said that on her way back home to the UK, they were asking more people to check in their carry on (smaller) luggage, they are not allowing everyone to stow the smaller cases in the overheads as much as they used too?
I just checked on the AA site.

Seems it's one item only, unless you're flying up front or have status in their frequent flier programme. So that's OK (for me, anyway).
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
there are checks now at the gate, so even if u have gone thru the security and plan to go on a shopping spree in the airport, forget it!! The gate lines are so long it takes ages, take patience and a good book.
I've never quite understood why at Schippol everyone stands in a huge queue to get through secondary screening. My suitcase is on the plane (hopefully), I'm checked in and have got my seat so I don't quite understand why a huge queue forms to go through security. Better to go and have a coffee and then wander on once the queue is almost all gone

Maybe that's why there are so many tanoy announcements that they're still looking for people to join their flight otherwise they'll proceed to unload their baggage
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

beeps29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew back from Heathrow to Houston on 3rd Jan, arrive at heathrow got through initial security pretty quickly, but then they were body searching everybody at the gate before they got on, the flight left 90 minutes late, they formed a line of men and a line of women.

BA flight by the way

Richard
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

SuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dave2702
I've never quite understood why at Schippol everyone stands in a huge queue to get through secondary screening. My suitcase is on the plane (hopefully), I'm checked in and have got my seat so I don't quite understand why a huge queue forms to go through security. Better to go and have a coffee and then wander on once the queue is almost all gone

Maybe that's why there are so many tanoy announcements that they're still looking for people to join their flight otherwise they'll proceed to unload their baggage
Funny you should say that, as i said the same thing. I have never been in an airport where there were so many announcements regarding people delaying their plans. I thought it was just done to the liberal laws over there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.