Reload this Page >

Where to start?

Where to start?

Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

KarenSarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

Hi,

Me husband and I are currently looking into moving to the US. This has not been a rushed decision as we have been considering this for 8 years. We are wanting to move to Orlando. I am a registered nurse and my husband is a tradesman. We have no family who live there except close family friends. I know this all sounds ridiculous and that we have no hope I just need some help on how I would get started maybe? Or what to look in to for example there different visas etc. We are just feeling very lost. We are aware it's a long process but are willing to wait.

I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered somewhere else in the forum but it's hard to navigate around here.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer us or kind words.

Karen.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by KarenSarah
Hi,

Me husband and I are currently looking into moving to the US. This has not been a rushed decision as we have been considering this for 8 years. We are wanting to move to Orlando. I am a registered nurse and my husband is a tradesman. We have no family who live there except close family friends. I know this all sounds ridiculous and that we have no hope I just need some help on how I would get started maybe? Or what to look in to for example there different visas etc. We are just feeling very lost. We are aware it's a long process but are willing to wait.

I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered somewhere else in the forum but it's hard to navigate around here.

Karen.
There's a 'read me' sticky just above - have you had a look at that?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Karen.
Have a careful read of this article, which lists all the ways of getting a visa for the US.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

however, given the info you have given us, I really doubt it will anything but a dream. The US is one of the hardest places to get into other than for a holiday, and you either need to have a load of money to buy into a business, or have exceptional niche skills. and that will almost certainly mean a very good degree as the least, the only other way would be for one of you to get a managerial level position in a multi-national company that has offices in the US, and eventually get a transfer.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nurse will be tough, plenty of threads on how to get certified but it won't get you a visa in all likelihood. Tradescraft won't get a visa either.

So if neither of you are a USC, you'd need bucket loads of cash...or look else where I'm afraid.

If you'd look at the details 8 years ago, you might have had a chance back then as there was a visa for nurses then but that boat has sailed.

Still, you can enjoy holidays and they're less stress any way. Good luck and welcome to BE
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Why Orlando?

I've asked the question before and I know it's a personal thing, but always curious why people want to choose Orlando/Florida.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Why Orlando?

I've asked the question before and I know it's a personal thing, but always curious why people want to choose Orlando/Florida.
Ask Sue. She resisted for a number of years, but was eventually drawn in, like a moth to a flame.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Must be hypnotic...
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Karen.
Depending how long ago you trained and what is on your transcripts will depend if the state will allow you to sit NCLEX as transcripts need to show both clinical and theory in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetric and Adult. Then there is the issue of finding employer willing to wait the currently 2 plus years wait for immigrant visa (that can increase or decrease depending on demand)
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
...... Then there is the issue of finding employer willing to wait the currently 2 plus years wait for immigrant visa. ....
Which visa type would a nurse be eligible for?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which visa type would a nurse be eligible for?
Generally nurses go for the EB3 unless they meet EB1/2 and job meets that requirement
Old Jul 27th 2014, 11:53 am

Generally nurses go for the EB3 unless they meet EB1/2 and job meets that requirement
From what I have read, a nurse would have to have a degree, which cannot be substituted with experience, and the wait time for an EB-3 is six to nine years.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

From what I have read, a nurse would have to have a degree, which cannot be substituted with experience, and the wait time for an EB-3 is six to nine years.
EB3 can be skilled worker which requires 2 years experience or professional which requires degree. Current wait is just over 3 years for someone not from the Philippines, China, India or Mexico.

When I had a job offer for the US a few years ago I was EB3 and I do not have a degree but did have over 15 years experience

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-...reference-eb-3

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Jul 27th 2014 at 12:07 pm. Reason: Add link
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:15 pm

EB3 can be skilled worker which requires 2 years experience ....
"Skilled worker" requires proof that there are no USCs capable of performing the job, which seems like a high hurdle for nursing.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

"Skilled worker" requires proof that there are no USCs capable of performing the job, which seems like a high hurdle for nursing.
Which in the current climate is hard to do.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

The problem around here (southern CA at least) is the lack of skilled nurses - for example, critical care nurses with a decade or more of experience. Plenty of new grads; not so many that can walk into an ICU with no training required. Such is the difficulty in getting skilled nurses that they're still offering sign-up bonuses here - wife is due $6k, phased over two years.