Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to move to in Bay Area?

Where to move to in Bay Area?

Old May 27th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to in Bay Area?

Originally Posted by N1cky
McZaki, what school are your kids in?
My bairns are in the Santa Rita Elementary School (Los Altos School District) - both are rated 10.

Very good teaching staff and the principal; the kids love it, and we are very happy with them as well. They do push for some voluntary work, and the wife has been involved a few times but it's not that bad. They don't push you too much to make the annual voluntary donation either, but we have chimed in from time to time as my kids have benefited from the funded programs. My son attends the after school football (soccer) training and games, and a few other activities around computing, science, and mathematics. Overall, in my view, their 10 rating is justified and deserved.
Old May 27th 2015, 10:02 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZaki
My bairns are in the Santa Rita Elementary School (Los Altos School District) - both are rated 10.

Very good teaching staff and the principal; the kids love it, and we are very happy with them as well. They do push for some voluntary work, and the wife has been involved a few times but it's not that bad. They don't push you too much to make the annual voluntary donation either, but we have chimed in from time to time as my kids have benefited from the funded programs. My son attends the after school football (soccer) training and games, and a few other activities around computing, science, and mathematics. Overall, in my view, their 10 rating is justified and deserved.
Yeah, they're not very pushy here for donations either. I think most of ours come from Google. I've actually just read the weekly school email that says the school district raised $587,000 in donations for extra-curricular activities. Not bad going on top of all the corporate donations they get for use in school hours (ipads, chrome books...).
Old May 28th 2015, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Yeah, they're not very pushy here for donations either. I think most of ours come from Google. I've actually just read the weekly school email that says the school district raised $587,000 in donations for extra-curricular activities. Not bad going on top of all the corporate donations they get for use in school hours (ipads, chrome books...).
That's a very good amount of money they have raised! They probably don't need it considering the cash Google and other local dignitaries pump into the system - Bay Area in general is blessed considering the contributions from the number of tech giants based here, and the property tax income due to the extortionate property values. I wish I could afford one!
Old May 28th 2015, 3:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pramster
On immunisations, can I get the ones required for the US done in the UK, or does my daughter need to take them over there?
You can get them done in the UK, but note there are a couple that are not on the NHS schedule such as Chicken Pox (Varicella) and Hepatitis. The Hep shot is actually a triple course. Shot 1, 30 days later Shot 2 and 5 months after that Shot 3. Best to get it started in the UK and finish up when you arrive.

Also be sure your Whooping Cough vaccination is up to date as there has been a severe outbreak in California.
Old May 28th 2015, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the East Bay (Walnut Creek). For me the commute to PA would be intolerable. I occasionally head to our San Jose office and that's bad enough. It can take me 2+ hours to get home on a bad day. Nice place to live though :-)