Reload this Page >

Where to live?

Where to live?

Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Proudy202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but seems like it's the right place to be.

I've recently applied for a new role within my company that will see me move to the US, specifically Ipswich MA.

I'm just wondering if people can recommend any areas to live around there, I've been looking around and found a few apartments in Haverhill but also wouldn't mind Boston if the commute wouldn't be too obscene!

Ideally I'd like a sub 1hr commute by car, I'm a 31 year old single lad, would like somewhere with some good restaurants/bars and also a decent gym is key.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once I get the ball rolling on the move.

Cheers
Ash
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread out of the Meet-ups Forum and into the General US Forum. We have several members who live in the Boston area...I’m sure they will be pleased to answer any questions you any have about Boston.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Proudy202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooops school boy error!!

Thanks for the assistance
Old Feb 19th 2018, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also say search Facebook for groups for brits living in that area.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

tbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nicetbooth is just really nice

I can see Ipswich across Parker River Wildlife Refuge from my desk at home on Plum Island, it's about 5 miles away.

Around here, I'd recommend looking in Newburyport MA if you can afford it. It's got quite a lot going on, but the grockles can be quite heavy in the summer.

Boston's about an hour away and you'll be going in the opposite direction to the traffic, but that can be very expensive to live in - there's much more going on though.

Depends on the sort of area you want to live in. You could to try the suburbs around Peabody/Salem/Beverly but you might find a suburban lifestyle too quiet at your time of life,
Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I would also say search Facebook for groups for brits living in that area.
He already has and had quite a good list of recommendations.

End of the day, the budget will probably determine where you'll be and what you're looking for.

Can get a fun condo complex in Boston, with all the facilities the OP is looking for, but it wouldn't be cheap and the commute would suck, but it would be a fun first year to try.

Anything that's going to require a southern commute would be fighting the Boston traffic and would be a punch in the balls, all the time.

Salem is lovely, Newburyport is smashing, but a very small town and if you're in your 30's without kids, maybe a little humdrum.

Places like Amesbury and Essex are really lovely, but same as above, probably a bit dull and quiet.

Haverhill, bit of a hole, but you got the full spiel on that one already from those who love it and those who think it's meh.

It's all relative. It could be Lawrence or Fitchburg. Then anything is an improvement.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

jcampo is an unknown quantity at this point

Boston is great city. Walkable and lots of history. It does get quite cold so you will need appropriate clothing.