Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to Move Money from the UK to US

How to Move Money from the UK to US

Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

kinderbueno01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Move Money from the UK to US

i need info on transferring uk pounds to my daughters us account, what's the best way to do it with less charges? i think i'm in the wrong thread, i'm new here, sorry. i'm also moving over there by middle of next year through the petition of my daughter who's an american citizen.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:32 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Live & Work in the US

Originally Posted by kinderbueno01
i need info on transferring uk pounds to my daughters us account, what's the best way to do it with less charges? i think i'm in the wrong thread, i'm new here, sorry. i'm also moving over there by middle of next year through the petition of my daughter who's an american citizen.
Yes - you are performing what is commonly known as a "thread hijack".

In the interests of keeping this short, go to www.xe.com - loads of us use it - you'll be golden.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Live & Work in the US

Or use ukforex.com (less hassle to set up an account than XE).
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:08 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Move Money from the UK to US

I didn't know a person could hijack a thread they had started. Also, if they are moving to the US as they say, how can it be the wrong place to post 'how to move money to the US'.

This lady is moving to be with her daughter in the US and is newbie and deserves a bit more gentle handling

Anyway, I use Worldfirst in London and I have saved and made a fortune compared to my first transfer which was via the Halifax

They typically give a rate 1 cent (not %) less than LIBOR - the rate that is seen on forex trading sites

I would be surprised if anyone can beat that with zero charges

I have made about 30 transfers in the last 4 years and they went like clockwork

I trade forex all day long so I am looking at my screen when I call them for a rate and they never try and diddle me
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I didn't know a person could hijack a thread they had started...
because they didn't, it was tacked onto another thread about visa stuff I think, but split up into their own thread afterwards by Polly...some of mods do get around to doing some nice things for people now and again
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:10 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
because they didn't, it was tacked onto another thread about visa stuff I think, but split up into their own thread afterwards by Polly...some of mods do get around to doing some nice things for people now and again
I notice that - I notice those individuals - I really do
Power to their elbow is what I say

I hope the dollar gets weaker again soon for new immigrants as it was over 2.00 to the GBP when I emigrated and I bought a superb brand new Toyota V6 for the same as I had paid for my last motorbike in the UK

I have bought a ton of UK shares from my USD share account with this strong dollar (against the GBP), so I am hoping for a share gain plus a big forex gain into my USD denominated share account over the next few years (In GBP terms at least)

For anyone who thinks they might need GBP run money one day if their health takes a dive, it's a great hedging method

We spend much time with the details of bank accounts and cash transfers but not much time on defensive strategies in case of contingencies. I think my future is in the US but I don't want to be caught out if I need to change plans because of changed circumstances.