Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When can/should I start applying for jobs? (CR-1 visa)

When can/should I start applying for jobs? (CR-1 visa)

Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default When can/should I start applying for jobs? (CR-1 visa)

Hello, everyone,

I should hopefully be in receipt of my CR-1 visa next month, and able to fly out to join my husband in PA in mid/late November.

I have read several accounts of people in my position who have had jobs lined up for when they arrive. Please could I get some tips?

I have been a frequent, curious visitor to various job sites over the past few months, and at the moment there are two jobs advertised that are of great interest to me. I would like to apply for them, and I can provide most required details (American address, phone number (my husband's), etc.), but there are some questions that I'm cautious to answer 'yes' to - 'Are you legally eligible for employment in this country?', for example - because, right now, the answer is obviously 'no', and I don't want to lie and potentially have it jeopardise my chances with the company for future applications; at the same time, I don't want to answer 'no' and be perhaps then be rejected immediately, when I will be eligible to work there in a month or so.

Is it acceptable to fill out applications as though I were already in the country, and include a cover letter to explain why? These two application forms allow space for such. Is that what others have done?

I'm fairly confident that I could find work quickly when I get to PA, but it's not been often that I've seen jobs like these ones come up, so I'm keen to not miss out. At the same time, I don't want to act prematurely and then not be eligible to apply for jobs at the same company for another six months, as is often the case here in the UK, as this is one of the larger, decent employers in my area.

Any tips whatsoever on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by KK85; Oct 14th 2017 at 9:53 am.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 11:47 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When can/should I start applying for jobs? (CR-1 visa)

I bypassed the online forms because they weren't really appropriate for my situation. Instead I contacted the HR manager directly (after seeing a job posting online) and explained my situation. Fortunately the HR manager knew all about the CR-1 visa and what my status would be on arrival. As it happens, I work with 4 other foreign spouses of USCs who arrived here under the same circumstances. I would imagine a large company in a big city would have experience of your situation, less so for a small firm in a more rural location.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I bypassed the online forms because they weren't really appropriate for my situation. Instead I contacted the HR manager directly (after seeing a job posting online) and explained my situation. Fortunately the HR manager knew all about the CR-1 visa and what my status would be on arrival. As it happens, I work with 4 other foreign spouses of USCs who arrived here under the same circumstances. I would imagine a large company in a big city would have experience of your situation, less so for a small firm in a more rural location.
Not sure what industry you're in KK85, but my experience was close Twinkle0927's.

I worked with a recruiter who was familiar with the K-1 process and had an interview with a Brazilian manager who had been down the same path. Got my EAD expedited based on this and joined 2 other Brits, a bunch of Brazilians and some weird accented Americans.

Again, large company so more chance of this being the case.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I used a recruitment agent, and she got me multiple interviews based on my resume - and that meant a very intense visit to New York with five interviews between Monday 18/8/2001 and Wednesday 20/8/2001 morning. On Wednesday afternoon we went to the top of the World Trade Center.

That was ahead of my visa interview on 10/9/2001. I received three job offers and took up the one that suited me best, starting on 12/11/2001, six days after I landed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 14th 2017 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
I have been a frequent, curious visitor to various job sites over the past few months, and at the moment there are two jobs advertised that are of great interest to me. I would like to apply for them, and I can provide most required details (American address, phone number (my husband's), etc.), but there are some questions that I'm cautious to answer 'yes' to - 'Are you legally eligible for employment in this country?', for example - because, right now, the answer is obviously 'no', and I don't want to lie and potentially have it jeopardise my chances with the company for future applications; at the same time, I don't want to answer 'no' and be perhaps then be rejected immediately, when I will be eligible to work there in a month or so.

Is it acceptable to fill out applications as though I were already in the country, and include a cover letter to explain why? These two application forms allow space for such. Is that what others have done?
Aside from all the other advice, I would say "yes" - complete any online applications as if you were already in the country and authorized to work - otherwise you'll most likely be ignored. It's barely even a lie as you will be authorized by the time you arrive and actually take up any work - which is all they're really interested about. And it's not like immigration - you're not completing their forms under penalty of perjury - at worst, they'll just pass you over if not available to start immediately.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming the OP doesn't yet have a social security number?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'm assuming the OP doesn't yet have a social security number?
So?

I didn't get my SSN until after I had actually started work.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:32 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So?

I didn't get my SSN until after I had actually started work.
I was just thinking that even if he did have one, if the online application asked for it, then he shouldn't put it in. If they check it, it will show not authorised to work/
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I was just thinking that even if he did have one, if the online application asked for it, then he shouldn't put it in. If they check it, it will show not authorised to work/
I don't think I have ever been asked for my SSN during a job application process. .... No, make that "I am certain I have never been asked."
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and tips - they have all provided great food for thought. I've decided to email the recruiter directly before filling out the application, to explain my circumstances and ask if it's worth my while applying now. I figure it'll show a bit of interest/keenness too, so win-win, hopefully!

It's a large company, so I imagine Twinkle and Tom are onto something when they suggest the HR department might already have some familiarity with the CR-1 visa.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:06 pm

.... the HR department might already have some familiarity with the CR-1 visa.
Unfortunately I wouldn't bet much on that being true. I believe I lost out on a job transfer within a large multinational corporation because HR in Chicago didn't understand that they didn't need to participate in my CR-1 process. Any mention of "visa" just killed the deal dead.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe I lost out on a job transfer within a large multinational corporation because HR in Chicago didn't understand that they didn't need to participate in my CR-1 process.
That's a theory that I have also seen mentioned quite commonly across this forum. Must have been very frustrating for you at the time! In line with iarnell's comment, I can imagine many applications get ignored/discarded at the first whiff of a visa, which is a shame.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I wouldn't bet much on that being true. I believe I lost out on a job transfer within a large multinational corporation because HR in Chicago didn't understand that they didn't need to participate in my CR-1 process. Any mention of "visa" just killed the deal dead.
I also lost a job solely because HR and their immigration legal adviser gave totally wrong information.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:04 pm

That's a theory that I have also seen mentioned quite commonly across this forum. Must have been very frustrating for you at the time! In line with iarnell's comment, I can imagine many applications get ignored/discarded at the first whiff of a visa, which is a shame.
It's a shame, but when I'm hiring I rarely consider anyone who currently lives (uses an address*) further away than an adjoining state, or about 200 miles, whichever is the lesser, because IME it just ends up being a waste of my time.

* I can tell when someone is using a relative's address, or a mail box at the UPS Store, and will give them the benefit of the doubt so long as they are otherwise a good candidate for the role, which is why I know it happens and I have often recommended using a mail box and using #Apt #" or "Unit #" and the street address of the UPS store, as a tip to avoid the filter if the hiring manager is only looking for local candidates.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I emailed the HR department of this particular recruiter and asked if it would be acceptable to tick 'yes' to the eligibility to work question, and the response was: 'You can answer ‘Yes’ to that question since you would be eligible if/when hired.' So there we go! Off I go to perfect an American-style résumé...