Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:18 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by Bob
New England, during either spring or autumn.

There could be worst places to be.
But what about the other 51 weeks of the year?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
And the freedom. Don't forget the freedom...
Errrr...it's freedoms...
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Cheap Chinese take out and crap TV
$1.25 a scoop cheap?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
These are things my kids and wife love. Mainly the freedom to do what you want on your own property / land / house.

More space, lots of room to explore. Ditto on the opportunities for the kids growing up. My wife mentions that constantly.
Yeah nowhere else in the world lets you do what you want on your property or has any opportunities for kids.

Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah nowhere else in the world lets you do what you want on your property or has any opportunities for kids.

I can't believe all this freedom to do this, that and the other crap. For instance...when entering the US producing a US PP you are asked...'citizenship?'...'where have you been'....'what was the reason for your visit'...'how long where you there'...'where do you live'.

I don't get asked that when I enter the UK using my UK PP.

Land of the free indeed.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can't believe all this freedom to do this, that and the other crap. For instance...when entering the US producing a US PP you are asked...'citizenship?'...'where have you been'....'what was the reason for your visit'...'how long where you there'...'where do you live'.

I don't get asked that when I enter the UK using my US PP.

Land of the free indeed.
Land of the Brainwashed.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Land of the Brainwashed.

Well I've been thinking what is it I like about the US, and to tell the truth I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything. I do like my house I suppose, but I liked my old house too and the one I lived in in UK just as much.
The winter here is nice and mild usually, but I pay for it with super hot blistering summer heat.
I have a couple of good friends here that I really like. I like my Dh and kids (the ones here with us) other than that not much daily life stuff thats different to UK really, eat sleep take kids to school, cook, clean, do laundry. Same shit different view, I wasn't unhappy in UK I'm not really unhappy here either, especially seeing we are planning our return to UK.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I like not needing a front license plate on my car!
Seriously I have never understood this at all. Seems like a really stupid idea. I wonder how many more crimes would be solved if license plates were required front & back in those states that only require one?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Maryland. I love that we get 4 distinct seasons. I'm close to mountains, rivers, lakes and beaches. I love the Chesapeake Bay and Annapolis. I'm within driving distance of some interesting cities (e.g. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Boston and New York). I can drive south to Florida in a day. I can drive north to Niagara Falls and Canada in 8 hours.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:28 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I don't get asked that when I enter the UK using my UK PP.

Land of the free indeed.
The Freedom above all....

To go for a trip to Cuba, or even say something nice about the leader of said neighbouring country, and get suspended from job with calls for you to be fired, and made to make a silly apology, and possibly still getting the sack.

(Re: Ozzie Guillen of the Miami Marlins baseball franchise)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/us/flo...tro/index.html
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:50 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Seriously I have never understood this at all. Seems like a really stupid idea. I wonder how many more crimes would be solved if license plates were required front & back in those states that only require one?
I don't know about Maryland, but out west in Oregon we have lots of photo radar which photos your front plate and frowning mug. Same goes for red light cameras.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the New England landscape. It's probably the greatest contrast with Europe and the first thing I noticed when I came over for the first time. There are trees pretty much everywhere. NE was deforested by farmers like Europe but the farming sector collapsed in the 19th century and the trees grew back (though you can still see the stone walls were fields used to be). Although it's pretty urbanized round here it still feels like a tiny slab of civilization clinging to a vast wilderness. That means that the autumn and spring are beautiful. Then there's the variety of it. You can be going on a short drive and see an agrarian scene that looks like the UK, pine strewn lakes that look like finland and wooded hill country that's quintessentially North Eastern. To me, nothing beats going for a drive, finding a gap in the trees and seeing this shimmering blue landscape stretched out before you.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Never thought Id say this but living surrounded by Giant Redwood trees is amazing
As is the view of SanFran from the Golden Gate bridge
The light hitting the hills in San Fran - cant explain it but it just seems so pure and clear and bright - odd really! (DH thinks im taking the "living in Humboldt hippy thing" rather too far!)
Nordstroms
Old Town Eureka - The Victorian houses and the "mom and pop" stores
The fact that if i wanted to I could go out shopping in my jammies and noone would bat an eyelid!! (I dont by the way! The standard dress is jeans and a hoodie cos its so cold half the time!)
Eureka library - best library ever (I do voluntary work there)
The customer service - I love being asked how i am and being told to "have a beautiful day, stay safe out there" when ive only gone in to buy a pint of milk!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
To go for a trip to Cuba, or even say something nice about the leader of said neighbouring country, and get suspended from job with calls for you to be fired, and made to make a silly apology, and possibly still getting the sack.
Yeah - but let's tell it like it is.

He is the manager of the Miami Marlins - a team with a large Cuban American fanbase (the stadium is right in the middle of Miami's Cuban neighborhood) who don't feel too rosy about this leader of a neighboring country as he basically seized their property and businesses and expelled them. It would be kind of like becoming the manager of a soccer club in the Gaza Strip and then pronouncing your love and respect for David Ben-Gurion. You have every right to say that but don't expect the fans who support the club to be too pleased about it. As for losing his job - think about it from the club's management's perspective. They are bending over backwards to appeal to Cuban Americans - something the clubs financial future depends on - and then the manager goes and says what he said.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Apr 11th 2012 at 11:23 am.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:32 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Probably the New England landscape. It's probably the greatest contrast with Europe and the first thing I noticed when I came over for the first time. There are trees pretty much everywhere. NE was deforested by farmers like Europe but the farming sector collapsed in the 19th century and the trees grew back (though you can still see the stone walls were fields used to be). Although it's pretty urbanized round here it still feels like a tiny slab of civilization clinging to a vast wilderness. That means that the autumn and spring are beautiful. Then there's the variety of it. You can be going on a short drive and see an agrarian scene that looks like the UK, pine strewn lakes that look like finland and wooded hill country that's quintessentially North Eastern. To me, nothing beats going for a drive, finding a gap in the trees and seeing this shimmering blue landscape stretched out before you.
This is it for me too. The miles & miles of forest. The trees here seem a completely different species from the ones in England & Europe. HUGE towering old trees, left alone for a hundred years or more, no one to disturb them but the squirrels, birds, etc. And I love the associated wildlife that comes with the big primevel New England forests--deer, woodchucks, raccoons, foxes (coyotes now too!), weasels, chipmunks (I love the chipper little chipmunks!) . . . and all the birds: American robins, falcons, eagles.

I guess it's nature that I love here. So much of it untouched & untamed.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 11th 2012 at 11:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.