Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise: Dodge Trucks

Advise: Dodge Trucks

Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advise: Dodge Trucks

I think I've mentioned before that we have been looking for a new vehicle. It's been an ongoing thing, we almost bought a Jeep Liberty a few months ago and then had a change of mind.

Anyway, a friend has a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab that she wants to sell as she never uses it! It would be a very sweet deal and she left it with us for a week to see if we want it.

First of all it only has 3000 miles on it, she has had it for 15 months and it still looks and smells new It ticks all the box's, plenty of room and still able to haul stuff around. It is very comfortable, powerful (probably guzzles gas, but our long trips are usually on the Harley anyway)and I feel safe in it.

So are they good reliable trucks? Anyone had problems and if so what?

Also it is a very sweet colour...black with a shimmer to it
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:15 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise: Dodge Trucks

I know a few friends with Ram's, and never heard any complaints, other than the gas mileage. We've had a Durango with the 5.7 hemi in it, and the only major thing that has gone wrong with it in about 80k miles was the alternator. Had a few tire problems initially, but once we got the Pirellis off, it was fine.

The Durango which wasnt really cutting it towing our trailer, so I just bought a new truck to replace it. It was a toss up between the Ram 1500 and an F-150. Went with the Ford in the end, but only for a "change of scenery" and to see if the ecobost engine is as good as they say (at first appearance, it seems to be). Plus the discounts Ford were throwing around were hard to resist....

Hang around for a while....Bob'll be along shortly telling you to get a Silverado
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I know a few friends with Ram's, and never heard any complaints, other than the gas mileage. We've had a Durango with the 5.7 hemi in it, and the only major thing that has gone wrong with it in about 80k miles was the alternator. Had a few tire problems initially, but once we got the Pirellis off, it was fine.

The Durango which wasnt really cutting it towing our trailer, so I just bought a new truck to replace it. It was a toss up between the Ram 1500 and an F-150. Went with the Ford in the end, but only for a "change of scenery" and to see if the ecobost engine is as good as they say (at first appearance, it seems to be). Plus the discounts Ford were throwing around were hard to resist....

Hang around for a while....Bob'll be along shortly telling you to get a Silverado
Glad you like your new truck.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:34 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

My son has a 20 year old Ram 1500. He has very little problems with it, and those he has had are normally a result of him off roading it and the rough handling it gets.

I have a Dakota just over two years old and no problems at all. Only reason I don't have a Ram is wifey uses the truck as well and she found the Ram to big. Trouble reaching the pedals as she is only 5ft.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:42 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
. Only reason I don't have a Ram is wifey uses the truck as well and she found the Ram to big. Trouble reaching the pedals as she is only 5ft.
Lol - my wife refuses to drive the truck too....so it has pretty quickly morphed from "our" truck, to "my" truck, and its only got 2000 miles on it - result

She's teetotal, so I just have to remember when we go out at night to go in the smaller car, so she can drive home if I have a beer !!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:43 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

My son has a 20 year old Ram 1500. He has very little problems with it, and those he has had are normally a result of him off roading it and the rough handling it gets.

I have a Dakota just over two years old and no problems at all. Only reason I don't have a Ram is wifey uses the truck as well and she found the Ram to big. Trouble reaching the pedals as she is only 5ft.
My wife had a Dakota too, no issues to speak of with it - we traded it last year though as she wanted a car not a truck.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it, I know a few people that have Rams and they're all pretty happy with them.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Glad you like your new truck.
If you'd told me when we arrived here 10 years ago that I'd one day be driving a truck I'd have laughed you down the street. But it is nice. Very nice. Totally impractical for a lot of the time, but awesome at the moment - we're off on our summer road trip towing the trailer, and its easy to foget the trailers even on the back. I never managed that when I was towing with the Durango!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:55 am
Account Closed

If you'd told me when we arrived here 10 years ago that I'd one day be driving a truck I'd have laughed you down the street. But it is nice. Very nice. Totally impractical for a lot of the time, but awesome at the moment - we're off on our summer road trip towing the trailer, and its easy to foget the trailers even on the back. I never managed that when I was towing with the Durango!
I know how you feel.

It will be mostly me driving so I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with it. So far so good
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:49 am

You reminded me of a thread I started last year when I had a chance of a Ram 1500...a few opinions on there.....including me saying I'd never buy an F-150! Never say never, eh

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...durango&page=2
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Dodge Ram - one is what you make other drivers do due to aggressive driving, the other is what you do if the other drivers don't do the aforementioned thing.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan, but then I've only driven a couple of them, a 1500 and a 2500. FIL, the chap in the know, isn't a fan either.

Mostly because they're shit off road in the log roads and boy, compared to the GMC Sierra, Chevy Silverado and the Ford F-150, they really are a hell of a lot rougher and out in the rough country, not very reliable and really shit mileage.

As Yorkie said, yeah, I'd go with the Silverado if you're hauling heavy stuff or doing any rough or long driving on a regular basis, with the Sierra and F-150 following.

FIL commutes 250 miles a day to work at the moment, on road and off it, with a lot of woods men and only the ones who don't have far to do or need to go off road or haul have Rams for long.

Toyota Tundra is nice too, but apparently it's not very manly to have a foreign truck out there, well there aren't as many dealers in that neck of the woods.

Nissan is another with the Toyota that's good for reliability, but again a tad girly and the rear seats are really uncomfortable compared to the F-150/Silverado.

The Honda, can't remember what it's called, but that's shit.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Lol - my wife refuses to drive the truck too....so it has pretty quickly morphed from "our" truck, to "my" truck, and its only got 2000 miles on it - result
The new ones can adjust the pedals up and out for short folks though...
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:40 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The Honda, can't remember what it's called, but that's shit.
The ridgeline? I never really understood what the market for them allegedly is (or the Chevy avalanche either to be honest). The bed on them both is really tiny.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bink
The ridgeline? I never really understood what the market for them allegedly is (or the Chevy avalanche either to be honest). The bed on them both is really tiny.
Yes, that one.

A cousin has one, because he inherited it, it's good enough to carry a couple of canoes to the river and a couple barrels of rubbish to the dump but that's about it. Does have a nice little pull out bit in the bed for extra storage though, like a cooler. Powerful enough to tow some snow mobiles and quads and that's about it really.

The ride is so hard though that it's horrid.

It also falls into the category of a girlie truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.