Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by cjreisen
Not exactly sure how your math works haha. When you make all else equal, in the UK you are still paying over $11 per American gallon, versus about $4 here.
What? The average UK petrol price is 142p per litre. There are 3.78 litres to a US gallon. The current exchange rate is $1.59 to 1 UKP. According to my calculations, that's around $8.53 per US gallon.
As for comparative fuel economy, my Volvo S60 diesel I drove in the UK got 50mpg imperial, which is 37.5mpg US. My current Infiniti G37 can barely manage 16mpg US.
I did have a BMW 335 diesel for a while over here. That barely got 20mpg around town, which is 90% of my driving. Also, diesel in my area runs around 35 to 40c more than petrol.

Last edited by cluedweasel; Apr 18th 2012 at 3:06 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

shallishanti is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone seems to like the space, travel and outdoor pursuits that the USA offers. No one mentions any of the real life stuff ie the thing that you have to do at least 40 hours per week, work?! Is the quality of life when not at work so good as to overcome the stress of always being at work, bad/expensive healthcare etc etc?

We all love skiing, being at the beach, nice sunsets, friendly people but do the positives actually outweigh the negatives?? I get 6 weeks holiday, dont have to worry about getting ill and being covered etc etc and if I get on a plane I can be anywhere in Europe in 4 hours.

I am totally open minded about moving to the USA with my US citizen GF.

Imagine you are in charge of marketing for the US government and you are looking to import more hard working, law abiding tax payers into the country, how would you sell living in the USA to me? And bear in mind Im not a lottery winner so would be coming over with a view to working a full time job.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

shallishanti is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone actually enjoy driving in the US? There are no bends, draconian speed limits and cops everywhere. Is there anywhere you can put your foot down and let fly?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shallishanti
Does anyone actually enjoy driving in the US? There are no bends, draconian speed limits and cops everywhere. Is there anywhere you can put your foot down and let fly?
Montana. A few other states have 70+ speed limits if I remember correctly.

I like to drive fast, too, well on motorways and dual carriageways anyway, not in the middle of a town or near schools. No criticism on the USA but there is something remarkably depressing about a freeway with a 55 mph speed limit. I have to drive a bit outside the Chicago metro area to see a 65 (or just over the border into Wisconsin) but even that feels too slow .
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:33 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone drives a huge SUV.
You've clearly never been to Houston!

This is why I have an SUV; comfortable, nice stereo, no corners to worry about... Just sit back and enjoy a nice ride chilling to some tunes!

And as for cops, get a radar detector...
(I'd like to add the caveat that it's only for out of town driving, can't stand people that speed in urban areas or school zones)
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of windy roads where I am, and also Interstates where people routinely drive at 90mph and above.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
What? The average UK petrol price is 142p per litre. There are 3.78 litres to a US gallon. The current exchange rate is $1.59 to 1 UKP. According to my calculations, that's around $8.53 per US gallon.
As for comparative fuel economy, my Volvo S60 diesel I drove in the UK got 50mpg imperial, which is 37.5mpg US. My current Infiniti G37 can barely manage 16mpg US.
I did have a BMW 335 diesel for a while over here. That barely got 20mpg around town, which is 90% of my driving. Also, diesel in my area runs around 35 to 40c more than petrol.
I'm simply quoting the prices listed in the article that I linked. Either way, there's no way in hell gas is cheaper in the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine you are in charge of marketing for the US government and you are looking to import more hard working, law abiding tax payers into the country, how would you sell living in the USA to me? And bear in mind Im not a lottery winner so would be coming over with a view to working a full time job.
Cheaper gas
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Haha, in Texas there's talk of making a highway with a speed limit of 85 mph. In many places in Texas you can go extremely fast, and I'm sure in the very sparsely populated states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Oregon and Washington, Alaska) you can go as fast as you want.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Cheaper gas
No chavs, pikeys or white dog turds either.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
42MPG what the heck do you drive!!
Chevy Cruze
http://pricinginsider.carsdirect.com...-least-40-mpg/
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:05 pm
I have a comma problem

Do you actually get the 42 mpg out of it? Fuel economy greatly depends on the type of driving you do. My car was advertised as being capable of 31 mpg, but that was the highway number and I keep track of my petrol/mileage and with all the stop/start in-town driving I do, I'm lucky to get 24 mpg.

Conversely, if I do a long trip involving lots of motorway driving, that goes well up over 34.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
How on earth can you argue that fuel economy has NOTHING (in big letters, no less) to do with it haha?

I would suggest that far more prople drive SUVs than whatever it is you're driving that gets you 42mpg, and that the average mpg in European vehicles is far lower than those driven in the US haha. That, haha, coupled with the greater distances driven on average in the US, haha, brings things much, much closer to parity in terms of running costs for many.

Haha.
Cry me a river. If greater distances driving, and lower fuel economy are your primary concerns, then ditch your Escalade, or just get rid of your car and move to NYC. You can't factor in lower fuel economy just because you don't want a fuel efficient car.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:10 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Cry me a river. If greater distances driving, and lower fuel economy are your primary concerns, then ditch your Escalade, or just get rid of your car and move to NYC. You can't factor in lower fuel economy just because you don't want a fuel efficient car.
But then I'd have to put up with New Yorker's Eugh!!!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No chavs, pikeys or white dog turds either.
Great telly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.