Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:25 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Originally Posted by Bob
green bean casserole....they failed to mention the grey gunk was mushroom soup, so I spewed all over the place as I'm allergic

marshmellows and sweet potato, I think that's a tad sweat.

the white gravy? eek....

Elk and moose meat was lovely, but farted like a trooper afterwards....

Yep - now that must have ben gross
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Definately second this one. Downright awful.
peanut butter on a cheese toasty ain't bad though...the wonders you discover as a starving student
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:36 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Keep it clean please

Every July 4th we go out to my wife's family farm out in the country. Well the first time I was there they made this "stew" which was mostly Chicken and Tomato. It tasted pretty good. After a few bites my wife told me to be careful not to eat any of the buckshot or the small squirrel bones! Turns out that this special stew was something from the days of the depression where they had to use any meat they could. I couldn't eat any more of it due to the thought of eating fluffy tree rat. I found out that one of the freezers was loaded with all sorts of meat, including Deer, Possum and Snake. Ever since then I make sure I see the Grocery store packet that the meat is in before they start cooking.

Anyone else had anything "weird" to eat, either knowingly or unknowingly.
'Alligator Bites' - in Cajun seasoning.. and in Cyprus i had a real delicacy. Pickled baby birds - still with beaks, wings, brains and feathers.. friggin' nasty!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
in Cyprus i had a real delicacy. Pickled baby birds - still with beaks, wings, brains and feathers.. friggin' nasty!
Oooh the French do those, only they are adult songbirds and baked..... yech.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:44 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Pickled birds - friggin' nasty!
You find them all over the Mediterranean. Usually topless, sunburnt and swigging out of a bottle of Smirnoff Ice.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:49 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
You find them all over the Mediterranean. Usually topless, sunburnt and swigging out of a bottle of Smirnoff Ice.
..and in Essex (speaking from regrettable experience)
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Seriously though, I don't think eating Squirrel is very good for you. Something to do with all the chemicals and hormones in the animal that makes it so skittish.
Hang on .. Its the store bought food that is full of chemical and additives
Squirrels enjoys nuts and fruit .... very wholesome ..
in the old eastern bloc countries my favorite was always hare ...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:51 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Hang on .. Its the store bought food that is full of chemical and additives
Squirrels enjoys nuts and fruit .... very wholesome ..
in the old eastern bloc countries my favorite was always hare ...

blonde or brunette...damn damn damn brought the thread down..ah well
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
blonde or brunette...damn damn damn brought the thread down..ah well
Thank you Mrs Scrumptious Thighs..........
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:15 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oooh the French do those, only they are adult songbirds and baked..... yech.
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson eat one on his TV show when he was touring around France.

They just seem to want to sweeten everything over here in the States too the point its way too sickly, give me savory anytime.

Had what I could only describe as a sandwich (chicken/cheese) deep fried and covered in so much sugar I couldn't eat it, so much for the recomendation's, just looked like a toasted cheese/chicken sandwich on the picture.

Last edited by britontour; Jun 28th 2006 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:58 pm
Guest21

[QUOTE=dan_alford]Someone else from Norfolk

Another Yokel here also, the Norfolk Broads.

Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:59 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

'Alligator Bites' - in Cajun seasoning.. and in Cyprus i had a real delicacy. Pickled baby birds - still with beaks, wings, brains and feathers.. friggin' nasty!
I've had baby pidgeon in Hong Kong before now. Not a bad taste, if I remember correctly, just not much to eat on the bird in the first place.
Btw, a few days ago found myself watching 'Bizarre foods in asia' on the Travel Channel. OMG the brave presenter was eating all kinds of gross stuff including bird's nests and bats.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:00 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whiskers]
Originally Posted by dan_alford
Someone else from Norfolk

Another Yokel here also, the Norfolk Broads.
Seems to be a lot of us on here
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:02 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of things that I have even refused to taste:

Chittlins
Pickled Pigs Feet
Turkey Necks
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:03 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
Have to agree the sweet potatoes with syrup and marshmallows, gravy, packet stuffing and while I've never done this myself can't get used to seeing people have a mouthful of their lunch then mouthful of dessert then back to lunch, its worse than sausage, eggs, pancakes and syrup
I love sweet potatoes, but I roast them, exactly the same way I roast potatoes, they taste great that way, they are already sweet enough without having to add syrup, marshmallows or sugar!

Also, Dev makes fun of me because I feel sick when I see people eating sweet stuff with savory. When I see people eating their pancakes with their sausages etc, it makes me want to yak, he thinks it's hill-hairy-arse! I eat my sweet stuff after my savoury, the way it should be, like it's 2 courses!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.