Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:02 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Originally Posted by Kate2112
[/B]

Used to do this in Norfolk...silly pheasants
Someone else from Norfolk

Had a nasty run in with a pheasant in 2001. I had hired a van to go pick up some furniture from my relatives in Norfolk and as we were driving along the A11 at 70 MPH a pheasant decided it wanted to see if it could fly. It was one of the damned biggest pheasants I have seen and we were lucky it didnt come through the windshield. I remember being pissed because you had to fork out 500gbp as the deductable on any damage. Luckilly the rental guy saw the windscreen, with pheasant feathers embedded THROUGH the glass and decided that it wasn't my fault. We settled up for him keeping the deposit (100 gbp).
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Uck have to agree with the candied yams/sweet potatoes, hate them.
Also had some jelly with celery and other random veg in, which was not what I had expected
Sounds like congealed salad. Even the name is unappetizing...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Someone else from Norfolk

Had a nasty run in with a pheasant in 2001. I had hired a van to go pick up some furniture from my relatives in Norfolk and as we were driving along the A11 at 70 MPH a pheasant decided it wanted to see if it could fly. It was one of the damned biggest pheasants I have seen and we were lucky it didnt come through the windshield. I remember being pissed because you had to fork out 500gbp as the deductable on any damage. Luckilly the rental guy saw the windscreen, with pheasant feathers embedded THROUGH the glass and decided that it wasn't my fault. We settled up for him keeping the deposit (100 gbp).
I thought you were gonna say that he settled for the pheasant as payment.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:05 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I thought you were gonna say that he settled for the pheasant as payment.
I don't know what happened to the pheasant but I wasn't going to stop on a major road and go and pick him up!
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
Have to agree the sweet potatoes with syrup and marshmallows, gravy, packet stuffing and while I've never done this myself can't get used to seeing people have a mouthful of their lunch then mouthful of dessert then back to lunch, its worse than sausage, eggs, pancakes and syrup
Yeah I've had a Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, one dollop of 'gravy', mash and pasta noodles) and then had to eat the pudding (green jelly with miracle whip mixed with cream cheese on top) on the same plate with the same fork!
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what happened to the pheasant but I wasn't going to stop on a major road and go and pick him up!
tsk tsk the animal cruelty people will have you up on charges for not taking him to casualty
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Yeah I've had a Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, one dollop of 'gravy', mash and pasta noodles) and then had to eat the pudding (green jelly with miracle whip mixed with cream cheese on top) on the same plate with the same fork!

Mash AND pasta noodles???

Is this American for half-rice/half-chips?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:09 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Elvira

Probably this is rellies who bring the same thing every year and don't want to change.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:10 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Yup, I think they've been secretly testing us. "Let's think of the crappest meals we can make and see if they'll eat it"
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:14 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Yup, I think they've been secretly testing us. "Let's think of the crappest meals we can make and see if they'll eat it"
"Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Jellied Eels are a classic one to get an american to try.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:14 pm
Lapine Member

"Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Jellied Eels are a classic one to get an american to try.
No way, or I'm serving up menudo and cabrito.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:18 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Whelks or a Marmite sandwich work well too ...both tried and tested by my husband who now checks the sandwiches I make, for lurking britishthings...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:20 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No way, or I'm serving up menudo and cabrito.
Don't get me started on menudo. My in-laws eat that religiously but I still can't bring myself to eat more than a mouthful of what seems to be chopped-up rubber floating in dirty dish-water.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiskers
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwichs DISGUSTING
Definately second this one. Downright awful.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

green bean casserole....they failed to mention the grey gunk was mushroom soup, so I spewed all over the place as I'm allergic

marshmellows and sweet potato, I think that's a tad sweat.

the white gravy? eek....

Elk and moose meat was lovely, but farted like a trooper afterwards....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.