Whats the cheapest way to ship household goods to the USA

Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

littlegreys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats the cheapest way to ship household goods to the USA

just wondering if anyone knew of good cheap reliable shippers from uk to usa
just taking books no furniture ive been quoted £600 so far
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:30 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the cheapest way to ship household goods to the USA

Originally Posted by littlegreys
just wondering if anyone knew of good cheap reliable shippers from uk to usa
just taking books no furniture ive been quoted £600 so far
Good
Cheap
Reliable

Choose any two of the three...

If you can work out the weight and volume of your boxed books you can get some quotes from places like FedEx, UPS, as well as with bigger shippers.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Box it up, ship it via the regular mail....10-16 weeks, cheap but good for this kind of stuff.

There's even a wiki article on this I think and if not, search for posts by Ozzidoc as she outlined a load of great info on this subject in the past and it gets linked to in a load of other similar threads on the subject.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

wow thanks that really is cheap 30kg from £8.33 plus vat takes a month to get there
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlegreys
wow thanks that really is cheap 30kg from £8.33 plus vat takes a month to get there
I don't think you'll find sending 30kg costs £8.33 unless I am misreading the parcelforce website
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I don't think you'll find sending 30kg costs £8.33 unless I am misreading the parcelforce website
By sea mail?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

i think that £8 is by sea because it takes a month but the slightly more expensive is buy air and will be there in 3 days it is also insured for £200 per 30kg
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:27 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

You REALLY need to check this.. I went on parcelforce website and put in for a 30kg box and it quoted 165.00gbp... ouch.... but a lot better than 600.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:29 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Are packages from overseas still being significantly delayed on entry to the US? I remember seeing people talking to that last winter.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:51 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by avanutria
Are packages from overseas still being significantly delayed on entry to the US? I remember seeing people talking to that last winter.
Cannot say I've had a problem with that... our biggest problem is a dislexic postperson who cannot seem to get the difference between 11161 and 11116 correct...and just leaves stuff on doorstep ... thank god for honest neighbors.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
You REALLY need to check this.. I went on parcelforce website and put in for a 30kg box and it quoted 165.00gbp... ouch.... but a lot better than 600.
That's the cheapest I can see - I would be amazed if it's 8.33 as I remember sending a small box of books back to LA from England the last time I was there and it was 30 something pounds for sea mail.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by avanutria
The Royal mail still have the notice up, but I've not noticed it.

The 8squid was the minimum...so I think folks are right that it'll be a touch more for 30kg but still pretty cheap.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Just shipped two crates 35 cubic ft weight 1100lb in a container from Liverpool UK to Norfolk USA for 295 UK pounds plus around $140 plus customs clearance at this end . Took around 12 days.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Just shipped two crates 35 cubic ft weight 1100lb in a container from Liverpool UK to Norfolk USA for 295 UK pounds plus around $140 plus customs clearance at this end . Took around 12 days.
What carrier was this with ????
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Try M&S Shipping in Norfolk VA, they will give you a very detailed breakdown of the costs on BOTH sides of the Atlantic. If you can drop off and pick up at the loading / unloading locations that is usually a big saving. You will need the weight and dimensions. Also try transglobalexpress.co.uk they have lower rates with UPS/Fedex/DHL you should be able to get an online quote from them. One of my parts suppliers told me it is cheaper for him to go via them than use UPS direct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.