Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What food item do you wish you had taken with you to the USA?

What food item do you wish you had taken with you to the USA?

Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What food item do you wish you had taken with you to the USA?

Robinsons Silver Shred marmalade
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:12 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Cyclamate sweeteners are banned in the US, but nobody cares if you bring your own.
I was not aware of this. How interesting! It seems the US banned this sweetener aeons ago (the 60s) and, despite occasional petitions and studies saying cyclamates are safe in typical normal usage, has not lifted the ban.

I did bring some 'Hermesetas' sweetener tablet dispensers with me when I moved Stateside, and a UK family member later brought me more. Never had a clue they were not allowed to be sold here--I just like the easy tablet dispensers, which you (or I anyway) cannot get anywhere in the US.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Finp is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant suggestions - I just spent £80 in the pound shop on sweets
Old Dec 6th 2013, 3:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I was not aware of this. How interesting! It seems the US banned this sweetener aeons ago (the 60s) and, despite occasional petitions and studies saying cyclamates are safe in typical normal usage, has not lifted the ban.

I did bring some 'Hermesetas' sweetener tablet dispensers with me when I moved Stateside, and a UK family member later brought me more. Never had a clue they were not allowed to be sold here--I just like the easy tablet dispensers, which you (or I anyway) cannot get anywhere in the US.
Sure? I just did a quick check of Amazon and found Equal and Canderel (aspartame), Splenda (sucralose), NectaSweet (saccharin), and SweetLeaf (stevia) in tablet dispensers. I don't use high-intensity sweeteners, so the packets of xylitol and the like do for me, but those may help you.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 4:20 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Sure? I just did a quick check of Amazon and found Equal and Canderel (aspartame), Splenda (sucralose), NectaSweet (saccharin), and SweetLeaf (stevia) in tablet dispensers. I don't use high-intensity sweeteners, so the packets of xylitol and the like do for me, but those may help you.
Thanks for that, Speedwell. I know Amazon does have them, but I've heard from friends they usually charge too much for shipping ($2 per small dispenser) and the dispensers bought online are often defective, for some reason, so I've never thought to order them. For now I get enough from British visitors, but I wish I could find them locally. The paper sachets widely used here are so fiddly & wasteful!
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Don't get caught! I'm pretty sure cheese - especially blue cheese with bacteria in it - is illegal to bring in.
NO cheese should have bacteria in it, some MIGHT, in which case you'll get poisoned.

Blue cheeses have MOULDs in them - Penicillium Roquerforti IIRC
You can buy Stilton in the USA anyway !

Last edited by steveq; Dec 6th 2013 at 5:09 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:07 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
NO cheese should have bacteria in it, some MIGHT, in which case you'll get poisoned.

Blue cheeses have MOULDs in them - Penicillium Roquerforti IIRC
You can BUY Stilton in the USA anyway !
There are specific bacteria used in cheesemaking to culture the milk. Wikipedia is a good resource on how it's done.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I'll be duly smacked about for not reading the WHOLE thread, however I wanted to point out our experience.

All three moving companies from the UK that gave us quotes was very upfront that no food was to be in the shipping containers. We did abide by that; it was in the paperwork quite clearly with the company we chose.

Are you sure your shipper will allow food in the shipment?

However, we did pack in teas and such, and in the bathroom boxes, I did include Branstons, Salad Cream, etc. along with the shampoos and cleaning supplies that I did bring along.

We have found pretty much everything we want either in Houston shops or online. The only things we can't find are very regional items, such as Highland Toffees. It certainly doesn't stop us from asking folks to bring over stuff when they come, as of course, the prices here are a bit higher than in Tesco!

I find the best prices and selections in the Indian/Pakistan-centered areas of Houston. Just browse the many small grocers and you'll find a ton of stuff you can enjoy, and cheaper than Kroger or HEB.

The one thing I can't get here, and I think it is brilliant, is Cif. The bathroom cleanser. It gets out all sorts of marks and shines things so well. That is the top of the list when we get back over to come back.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 2:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

Are you sure your shipper will allow food in the shipment?
I presumed the OP meant in the suitcase...
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:17 am
Just Joined

yes in the suitcases. As a family of 4 that is 8 suitcases. 1 for clothes, 1 for food each. And hubby hopefully going again next week as long as the passport appears from the embassy to do another run for me - oh and to work of course.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh. Seemed like a lot of food stuffs to bring in suitcases and fewer clothes! But then again, we wish we brought more foodstuffs than clothes as clothes are so much cheaper here.

When we go back to visit, we do take practically empty suitcases in order to bring things back!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

ooh yes and with an amazing tumble dryer i can get the clothes turned around a lot quicker than here - I'd rather wear a top twice then forgo my chocolate!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

the main thing I bring back is treacle as that's something i've yet to find in a shop, golden syrup I can get. Also lots of blocks of pasteurized cheese that I cannot get here, eg Cheshire, Wenslydale, at customs I always say 'pasteurized cheese'.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:58 pm
Mouthy Yank

Bomjeito, Cif is "Jif" in other countries, and while not marketed in the US, might be available in Houston in some of our many ethnic shops. Odds are maybe one of the halal groceries might have some since it is sold in the Middle East. Since I'm just north of the "Mahatma Gandhi" district, I'll keep an eye out.

bugman, treacle is at least available on Amazon if nothing else. (Molasses, especially the blackstrap kind that seems to be what you mostly get, is not the same and is not a good substitute, unfortunately.) Cheshire cheese is readily available here in Houston at least; Wensleydale is also available in a rainbow of completely unnecessary fruit mixtures, bleah. Plain Wensleydale, which we can't get, is very good with fruit, but not like that.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What food item do you wish you had taken with you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

The one thing I can't get here, and I think it is brilliant, is Cif. The bathroom cleanser. It gets out all sorts of marks and shines things so well. That is the top of the list when we get back over to come back.
Oddly enough, on all our international moves we were told by the shippers not to include cleaning products.

How I miss Domestos thick bleach - especially the containers with lids similar to the 'Toilet Duck' cleaners where you can shoot it up on the inside rims of toilets. Bleach in the US - and here in Switzerland - is too thin and I seem to splash it everywhere - I've ruined some of my clothes when cleaning with bleach.

(I still find it strange that Chlorox bleach is liberally used in the US when doing the laundry - it ruins elastic in socks etc.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.