Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are the BBC up to?

What are the BBC up to?

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the BBC up to?

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I use the UKTV app on my Roku. Costs $1.99 a month and I get unlimited access to all British channels. It's a steal!
Thats the problem Its a Steal
Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:28 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Well, now that Ms. Carrie Gracie & Co have got their rocks off in Parliament about equal pay for 'talent' & everyone's looking the other way, perhaps it's time to remember the HMRC investigation that was going on into tax evasion (my post #41)
... Maybe they'll do a Trump and have it quietly dropped or re-assign the investigators ????
Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
Well, now that Ms. Carrie Gracie & Co have got their rocks off in Parliament about equal pay for 'talent' & everyone's looking the other way, perhaps it's time to remember the HMRC investigation that was going on into tax evasion (my post #41)
... Maybe they'll do a Trump and have it quietly dropped or re-assign the investigators ????
I watched her performance, I don't think she did herself any favours.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So a huge corporation pays some workers more than others for doing the same type of work.

Who'd a thunk it?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

On topic, I wanted to see if I could get some Masterchef on iPlayer last night (answer: no) but using ExpressVPN worked a treat (Accessed on laptop, AirPlay to the TV).
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
BBC is funded by license fees which are classed as a tax: how on earth do you think the BBC would be able to justify selling access to overseas viewers for pennies?
The BBC's remit is to provide TV to people living in the UK, and that is what the license fee does. People living in other countries are able to get some of the programmes legally rebroadcast by companies within those countries who pay the BBC for the right. Why on earth people in other countries see it as their 'right' to watch the BBC because they are British beats me. I can't watch the US channels in the UK unless people like SKY pay for the right to show the programmes, I can't watch on the internet because they block my IP address because I'm not in the US, that's exactly the same thing, so, like me, you have to use a system that negates the block, the companies are always going to try to stop this happening and it will always be a battle between them and companies trying to get round the blocks.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The BBC's remit is to provide TV to people living in the UK, and that is what the license fee does. People living in other countries are able to get some of the programmes legally rebroadcast by companies within those countries who pay the BBC for the right. Why on earth people in other countries see it as their 'right' to watch the BBC because they are British beats me. I can't watch the US channels in the UK unless people like SKY pay for the right to show the programmes, I can't watch on the internet because they block my IP address because I'm not in the US, that's exactly the same thing, so, like me, you have to use a system that negates the block, the companies are always going to try to stop this happening and it will always be a battle between them and companies trying to get round the blocks.
I don't see it as my right to watch British TV but I do think it is a poor decision by the BBC to limit programming, even when available on other applications making it selective. I would happily pay to watch BBC as if Iw ere in the UK. Something that should be easily achievable in this modern age but the BBC mandarins/luvvies use outdated explanations as to why it is not possible? They seem to spend more time tying themselves up in knots trying to prevent something from happening rather than capitalizing on the event? It's quite funny to observe, rather like than little boy with his thumb in the dyke. I do not think they will succeed in blocking the internet
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You are absolutely right but I would have thought that, as a taxpayer funded organisation, the BBC would want to expand its international profile in support of the new "global Britain".
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I don't see it as my right to watch British TV but I do think it is a poor decision by the BBC to limit programming, even when available on other applications making it selective. I would happily pay to watch BBC as if Iw ere in the UK. Something that should be easily achievable in this modern age but the BBC mandarins/luvvies use outdated explanations as to why it is not possible? They seem to spend more time tying themselves up in knots trying to prevent something from happening rather than capitalizing on the event? It's quite funny to observe, rather like than little boy with his thumb in the dyke. I do not think they will succeed in blocking the internet
To be fair, at least in the US the BBC is not able to offer full access to its services due to commercial and contractual restrictions placed on it by the US and by US companies controlling competition, not as the result of a BBC policy. I'm sure the Beeb would be happy to open up a whole new flood of income if it could.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_America
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
To be fair, at least in the US the BBC is not able to offer full access to its services due to commercial and contractual restrictions placed on it by the US and by US companies controlling competition, not as thecresult of a BBC policy. I'm sure the Beeb would be happy to open up a whole new flood of income if it could.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_America
The BBC is more interested in places like Africa.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
The BBC is more interested in places like Africa.
Less competition and fewer barriers and more consumer interest probably. The US is highly protectionist.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

Less competition and fewer barriers and more consumer interest probably.
More important fish to fry.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick
More important fish to fry.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:15 am
Just Joined

corsaro is an unknown quantity at this point

Try streamvia - they offer a service in the US called smartstream (as well as the usual VPN service) I have used them for the last 6-years without problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.