Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What % Of Your Income Is Spent on Housing?

What % Of Your Income Is Spent on Housing?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: What % Of Your Income Is Spent on Housing?

Originally Posted by Bob
our landlords are right bunch of crunts, takes forever to sort out anything if anything breaks, hell, the lights out in the hallway have been out for the last two months *l*
Change the bulb yourself you lazy bastard.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:32 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Just wondered since the USCIS "Welcome to America" information page states that most Americans spend 25% of their income on housing. I know this would vary state to state but it still seems a bit low. I know we spend closer to 40%.

So, my question is what percentage of your income is spent on housing whether you rent or buy?
Ours is about 19% mortgage/property tax/home ins only (it's all taken out in one monthly payment) - there's still a hefty chunk for cost of living like water, sewage, electricity.

We live in PA.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:55 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It has its perks apparently
Actually in many towns in blighty the student market is surprisingly lucrative, and if you're going to chose you would rather birds than fellas
Yeah -- remember The Young Ones!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Miami would probably be second on my list Seriously, I'd wait a while.. I read a couple of weeks ago that there are more condos under construction in Miami than have been sold in the last nine years. Falling for the "buy now or forever be priced out" line might have been good advice a couple of years ago or even last year, but in places like Miami I doubt it is now.
Dont worry they'll all be blown down/washed away real soon. All this over building has gone on during a 20 year historic lull in the Atlantic activity...which as we have seen is coming to a rapid end.

Same can be said of San Fran and quakes....all the massive over building around the bay area has happened during the 20th C which has been historically quiet for seismic activity along the San Andreas and associated fault lines (1906 essentially released the surface stress but now its built back up again). Apparently the predictors are now showing a 30% chance of a > 8.0 seismic event within the next 15- 20 years...if/when that happens I wouldnt want to be sat in a multi-million $$$ condo built on reclaimed soil (which basically liquifies during seismic activity) overlooking the bay.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 1:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah -- remember The Young Ones!

Yeah, cos we were all just like that Actually, I had a mate that had a striking resemblance to vivian, both looks and personality :scared:
Old Apr 20th 2006, 1:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Same can be said of San Fran and quakes....all the massive over building around the bay area has happened during the 20th C which has been historically quiet for seismic activity along the San Andreas and associated fault lines (1906 essentially released the surface stress but now its built back up again). Apparently the predictors are now showing a 30% chance of a > 8.0 seismic event within the next 15- 20 years...if/when that happens I wouldnt want to be sat in a multi-million $$$ condo built on reclaimed soil (which basically liquifies during seismic activity) overlooking the bay.
Yes, but at least in the 1906 aftermath, the MILITIA came in to restore order straightaway. Wish the same could have been said of Katrina. Of course, it'd HELP if our national guard wasn't already committed overseas.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 1:53 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, cos we were all just like that Actually, I had a mate that had a striking resemblance to vivian, both looks and personality :scared:
Geez, I forgot that Yanks shouldn't try irony.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Imagine how good you would feel if you bump the late payment fee up to $100.

Actually if you are game enough to be handling all your own affairs in this country fair play to you. I know a lot of people say that letting agents make money for old rope, but imo its money well spent if something does go wrong.
LOL

As long as people communicate we me i usually waive the fees....

people here want 10-12% of gross rent - too much in my mind.

I only buy property actually near me so i can get local people i trust to fix stuff that breaks

I have a few section 8 tenants actually and on the whole they have been fine

this stems from the fact that its bloody hard to get a section 8 voucher, and once you have someone else paying your rent you typically don't want to give it up!

only downside is that the inspectors are often twats - i don;t have storm windows on my house FFS, why should i put them on my tenants windows?

Like everything in life, its all about getting a nice balance
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:48 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by rushman
So long as he receives reimbursement for it. Plus his time and car etc to go buy it.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 4:36 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered since the USCIS "Welcome to America" information page states that most Americans spend 25% of their income on housing. I know this would vary state to state but it still seems a bit low. I know we spend closer to 40%.

So, my question is what percentage of your income is spent on housing whether you rent or buy?
105% of mine..
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I would, but there so bloomin' high, can't reached, and I can't be arsed to get a ladder, not for the amount of rent we pay these crunts...
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Dont worry they'll all be blown down/washed away real soon. All this over building has gone on during a 20 year historic lull in the Atlantic activity...which as we have seen is coming to a rapid end.

Incidently I was just looking through the local classifieds; there are so many (I'm talking pages) of houses and condos for rent most of which were there last month too.

I also heard on the radio last week that house prices have dropped in Broward for a second month in a row, not sure about Dade.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:04 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

we rent need I say more...there's barely enough left for bills

I hate knowing I'm paying somebody else's mortgage!