British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What % Of Your Income Is Spent on Housing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-%25-your-income-spent-housing-368327/)

CaliforniaBride Apr 18th 2006 8:56 pm

What % Of Your Income Is Spent on Housing?

Just wondered since the USCIS "Welcome to America" information page states that most Americans spend 25% of their income on housing. I know this would vary state to state but it still seems a bit low. I know we spend closer to 40%.

So, my question is what percentage of your income is spent on housing whether you rent or buy?

fatbrit Apr 18th 2006 9:01 pm

Re: What % Of Your Income Is Spent on Housing?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Just wondered since the USCIS "Welcome to America" information page states that most Americans spend 25% of their income on housing. I know this would vary state to state but it still seems a bit low. I know we spend closer to 40%.

So, my question is what percentage of your income is spent on housing whether you rent or buy?

If you mean the mortgage for the roof over our heads, we manage < 5%

Jerseygirl Apr 18th 2006 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Yep our mortgage is a pretty low percentage of income too.

CaliforniaBride Apr 18th 2006 9:05 pm

Live in California and cash out a couple of ex-wives. That'll soon raise that figure for you. :D

Celsius Apr 18th 2006 9:08 pm

That's a bit of personal question, innit?

fatbrit Apr 18th 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius

40% -- she said!

anotherlimey Apr 18th 2006 9:15 pm

I guess, but you can only derive their income if you know the percentage and monetary value.

Mine's 0% at the moment, will soon be more like 30%.

Yorkieabroad Apr 18th 2006 9:17 pm

We spend about 30% of income on mortgage - we pretty much maxed out - I didn't see the point in not taking as much as we can get - at just over 5% fixed for 15 years with tax deductible interest, I reckon its a good call on the (overseas) bank rates alone, but also, over the term of the mortgage I think I can make a return on that capital of significantly more than 5%, so made sense to keep the capital free to play with.

Property taxes obviously add quite a bit to that 30% - our current rate is 4% of property value...

fatbrit Apr 18th 2006 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I guess, but you can only derive their income if you know the percentage and monetary value.

Mine's 0% at the moment, will soon be more like 30%.

Well there ain't nowt in LaLa land for under a squiggillion.

ladyofthelake Apr 18th 2006 9:18 pm

Is the percentage just for the mortgage/rent or does it have to include utilities and insurance aswell? Makes a big difference.

britvic Apr 18th 2006 9:18 pm

Not really the done thing now is it, us Brit's seem to be a bit more reserved when it boils down to cash flow :)

anotherlimey Apr 18th 2006 9:20 pm

Well there ain't nowt in LaLa land for under a squiggillion.

I can only afford Donald Duck's shed.... when I'm older I might have enough to live in the Fairy Tale Palace.

Big D Apr 18th 2006 9:35 pm

0%

Bob Apr 18th 2006 9:51 pm

about 30%

USBound Apr 18th 2006 9:54 pm

rent = ~30% in La La land.