Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What’s in a car's number plate?

What’s in a car's number plate?

Old Sep 18th 2004, 3:44 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What’s in a car's number plate?

My hubby just got BRITISH on his plate to match the Union Jack on the front, must confuse some of the Americans though since he has a typical red-neck truck (Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi).

I saw a great one in the UK on this sweet BMW 8 series: K1CK1N. How much would I love to have that? (and the car).

I am still waiting on my normal plates to come through so I can change it for something fun. Last time I looked (NC now has it on the internet so you can try out different plates and see if they are available) EMMA was still free. Mind you looking at some of these, I might change my mind...

Emm.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I saw a good one on a Honda Pirus the other day. It was "50 MPG" in reference to its hybrid electric engine. I wanted "UKTOUSA" but someone already has it.

I am currently amazed at how many cars I see on a weekly basis with Union Jack front vanity plates around here.

So whats on your cover plate, if you have one?. I've got a Diamondbacks cover plate.
My truck has a Matt Kenseth front plate. The one that my wife and I use for commuting is about to get the crossed Union Jack/ Stars and Stripes tag that I bought a couple of weeks ago.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 4:47 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My truck has a Matt Kenseth front plate. The one that my wife and I use for commuting is about to get the crossed Union Jack/ Stars and Stripes tag that I bought a couple of weeks ago.
What is interesting is the ease with which it is possible to get American custom plates and at such a ridiculously cheap price. So much so that it is not unusual to see people acquire their own piece of Americana whereas it costs far more to acquire an equally visible stake in Cool Britannia.

Old Sep 19th 2004, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
What is interesting is the ease with which it is possible to get American custom plates and at such a ridiculously cheap price. So much so that it is not unusual to see people acquire their own piece of Americana whereas it costs far more to acquire an equally visible stake in Cool Britannia.
Only shame is that not all states allow a front plate thingy like that, got to have proper plates front and back here, which is a pitty, would be nice to have a fun cover...
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:40 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Only shame is that not all states allow a front plate thingy like that, got to have proper plates front and back here, which is a pitty, would be nice to have a fun cover...
You're supposed to have a proper plate at the front in TX... but it hasn't stopped me from putting a Union Jack there, given that every BMW driver in the DFW region seems to have been given a tacky BMW front-plate when they bought their car
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:06 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Pulaski
at the risk of being branded a copycat - where did you get that? It's identical to a gif I use on my letterheads and it would be great to get a tag to match ...

Old Sep 21st 2004, 2:58 pm
Franklin

In parking lot next to the building where we have a wee office there were a couple of cars with interesting plates (if I recall them correctly): "KID-LAW" and "COOK-LAW". I think one of them was out of state (COOK-LAW); the other probably belongs to an advocate for childrens' rights. But "COOK-LAW"? Maybe the owner's surname is "Cook". Never heard of law related to cooking!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Sep 21st 2004 at 4:03 pm.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:32 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emm
My hubby just got BRITISH on his plate to match the Union Jack on the front, must confuse some of the Americans though since he has a typical red-neck truck (Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi).

I saw a great one in the UK on this sweet BMW 8 series: K1CK1N. How much would I love to have that? (and the car).

I am still waiting on my normal plates to come through so I can change it for something fun. Last time I looked (NC now has it on the internet so you can try out different plates and see if they are available) EMMA was still free. Mind you looking at some of these, I might change my mind...

Emm.
I just got this one....

Hubby keeps saying he's going to get LA in UK, but how would you explain that one away??
Attached Images  
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:38 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The creepiest vanity plates I ever saw:

TONGUE

EYEBALL

I can only imagine...

~ Jenney
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:27 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The creepiest vanity plates I ever saw:

TONGUE

EYEBALL

I can only imagine...

~ Jenney
GYNO MD

That one didn't leave much to the imagination. And it was a Porsche. How to make some blokes twice as envious???
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:57 am
Old-Fart

Bangers&Mash is on a distinguished road

Paul Mcartney has MUS 1C

A friend of mine & fellow Ice Hockey fanatic in NY had "Puck-U" as a Plate but someone complained to the NY DMV & they refused to let her renew her registration with it.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 1:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bangers&Mash
A friend of mine & fellow Ice Hockey fanatic in NY had "Puck-U" as a Plate but someone complained to the NY DMV & they refused to let her renew her registration with it.
That's great, I just saw a plate that was "PUCK ME" don't know how they managed to get that one then
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:25 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I commute to work at the same time as a Mini with "HEAD DR", so I guess the guy's a shrink.

Saw a nice VW Polo years ago in LA with "H2O POLO".

Recently passed a brand new Cadillac with "4 U MY LUV" which was pretty cute.

California seems to now allow a "heart" symbol so that there are many vanity plates using that in place of LOVE or LUV. We saw a Ferrari in LA with "I {heart} 2 OPER8", and they guy even had the poor taste to have a bumper sticker with his plastic surgery phone number on it!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 2:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000
California seems to now allow a "heart" symbol so that there are many vanity plates using that in place of LOVE or LUV. We saw a Ferrari in LA with "I {heart} 2 OPER8", and they guy even had the poor taste to have a bumper sticker with his plastic surgery phone number on it!
That's fantastic
Though didn't realise doc's were allowed to advertise like that...
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:29 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Well, this probably won't excite anyone but Manc the pilot wannabe, but my hubby's is DC9 TNG. He's a DC9 flight instructor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.