Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

West Coast / Bay Area - Tips

West Coast / Bay Area - Tips

Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:06 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West Coast / Bay Area - Tips

Originally Posted by N1cky
I was meaning more that I like what Google do for the local community, rather than their business practices.

The money they put into the local schools, free shuttles, paying for bike lanes to be built...
Ahhhh, the bits YOU like...

Besides, those things you mentioned are business practices. C'mon, these things are not totally altruistic -- they're done to generate positive publicity. To "smooth the way" for permits and other things that Google want locally.

Better to look at a more complete picture.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Ahhhh, the bits YOU like...

Besides, those things you mentioned are business practices. C'mon, these things are not totally altruistic -- they're done to generate positive publicity. To "smooth the way" for permits and other things that Google want locally.

Better to look at a more complete picture.
Big business is big business, there won't be a single company that you like all their practices.

Sure, some things they do to smooth the way, but Apple could do the same and chose not to. As far as I'm aware they do nothing for the local community, where as Google do, as do Facebook. My point was purely that lots of people don't like Google being here and not because of their business practices, where as I think they do a lot of good in the community.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

People just seem to be discussing whether they like big city life or don't. Sometimes smaller cities become bigger ones, that brings new opportunities, a different vibe but can also create problems for those who live the transition. I don't think that would be any different in any location in the world. Someone moving from central London may well believe San Fran to be a quirky smaller city. I live just South of Atlanta and people tell me it's too busy, traffic is a nightmare, cost of living is too high etc. However, I enjoy all the benefits I get in my life from being close to a big City Hub - I also appreciate some other people want space, quiet, less obvious them and us type divisions in living conditions etc.

I've only visited San Fran - didn't do it for me, I could see why some would love it. Then again, I love New York and London, warts and all.